Southeastern Calves Superior To Midwestern

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":1roxpjck said:
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Content.asp?contentid=216563
there's no doubt about the southern calves qualifiying for CAB. with a black bull in the majority of pastures . like it or not it has helped the south's quaility, if nothing but making a more uniform calf crop.most of the average southern farmers in the past just wanted a calf on the ground. out of about a twenty five head herd. quality was'nt a priority.most folks in the west make their living ranching

Read the whole report MID-WEST calves look like they finished better. Don't you guys in the south east use midwest bulls :D but anyway the report was interesting.

A larger % qualified cab but the premium that is paid by the feedlot owner for the cab calf vs. the non cab calf will eat away all the premium for the cab carcass. Other than that the only thing southeastern calves are better for was a lower number of pulls. Otherwise it appeared the midwest calves were better.

somn":2ygl4f0w said:
A larger % qualified cab but the premium that is paid by the feedlot owner for the cab calf vs. the non cab calf will eat away all the premium for the cab carcass. Other than that the only thing
  • >>southeastern calves are better for was a lower number of pulls<<
. Otherwise it appeared the midwest calves were better.
that one suprized me

I know that there has been a heavy push in Tennessee over the last few years to increase quality as well as performance. Tennessee offers some nice incentives to the producer for better genetics, BQA programs, Master Beef Producer training etc. More folks are seeing the advantages of uniformity in color and age. More and more of my neighbors are having planned calving seaons, buying better bulls and taking advantage of cross breeding. More and more are getting involved in marketing alliances to land that premium dollar. In my opinion we are not quite to the level of overall quality I see in the midwest but we are making huge strides in a short time.

I'm quite surprised. SE calves have come quite a ways, just pick up any beef magazine and there will be something written up, on how SE producers are trying to change the perception, and marketability of their calves. Not to take away from your SE calves but i did see some problems with the study. i dont have time to get into it today, but there are alot of things that can be debated, when you just dont look at the cover. once again i dont want to step on any SE cattle producers toes, i buy SE calves from time to time because they can be bought cheap, and turn out a profit. However the study contradicts what i have found in my own feedlot.

alot of it came from the misuse of brahman influence, and poor health management, no background. bout the only time they would vaccinate was when they had too. there's still along way to go..... when you see no head catch and a white salt block

Latest posts