Southeast Texas Vaccination Program

Help Support CattleToday:

A-RRanch

Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed alot but what I can find is general recommendations and not area specific. Im in College Station on the Navasota River Bottom and I know there are a few of you on here that are fairly close to me. I vaccinate my calves with Covexin 8 and ht em again at weaning. I worm twice a year and change up my wormer. Last year I also wormed my calves when I vaccinated. I have not added any other vaccines to my herd health program but have been doing a a lot of research and think I will vaccinate my cows annually with Virashield 6 + VL5. I do take my bull to the vet for fertility exam and vaccines each year pre breeding also. Any thoughts on what I may be missing or doing wrong? Thanks!

I'm within 50 miles of you, and you're already doing more than I am. I vaccinate my calves for blackleg (think it's 8-way, I'm not sure what else is in there) when I work them, and that's all the steers get. My heifers get a range of vaccinations and deworming from the vet at weaning, and that's the last time most of them will get anything except an occasional pour-on wormer.

I do also get yearly BSE's for my bulls, and they get wormed then.

We are about 90 minutes southwest of Houston.

We give all of the cows and bulls Virashield 6 + VL5 HB and Vision 8 Somnus. Calves get Vision 8 Somnus..steers are also getting Tetanus Antitoxin when we band them.

Talked to the vet in Navasota today while fertility testing the bull and he suggested Virashield 6 and Ultraback 7 for the Cows, and I'll stick with the Covexin 8 on the calves since it has Tetanus.

We vaccinate cows twice a year. Each time they will get dewormer, multimin, blackleg, vib/virashield, and a fly control. The dewormer and vib/virashield rotate.

Once one set of cattle have all calved, the calves get a dewormer, blackleg with tetanus, respiratory, and fly control. The bull calves that get banded will receive a tetanus antitoxin also. Approximately 6 months later, they will receive another dose.

Latest posts