South tx lease prices

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
My buddies put in an offer on a place in Dimmit county today. They want me to run cattle on it. Curious to what the lease would run. Mostly native grasses. Typical brush country place with almost no pastures. Water is so so but they'll rent a dozer and improve existing ponds that are in place. Have some water troughs piped throughout that need some work but probably wouldn't be bad to get going.

5S Cattle said:
My buddies put in an offer on a place in Dimmit county today. They want me to run cattle on it. Curious to what the lease would run. Mostly native grasses. Typical brush country place with almost no pastures. Water is so so but they'll rent a dozer and improve existing ponds that are in place. Have some water troughs piped throughout that need some work but probably wouldn't be bad to get going.
Got any more of them buddies??

There are so many variables. Size, improvements, what your responsibilities are, etc all play in.

It would have to be very large place to handle any kind of a herd to justify the distance. Assuming your not there every day theft and vandalism may be a big issue.

Definitely lease per head... not per acre. From experience country around there that is cleared off with grass planted is 30ac per pair stuff at best. Native land may be 75, 80+ acres per pair. Its feast or famine around there.

We figure 7 per acre on Rocky cedar covered ground to 25 on good hay ground. A good sized place will have some of both so you just do the math and figure out the middle ground. Try to get anything on a long term contract. Where you get paid for improvements if you get the boot (at no fault of your own) within the allotted time. I got paid in full last year on fence I built and used for nine years of a twelve year deal when the place sold.
Leaseing by the cow might be better for the cowman if it worked. But it doesn't on a long-term deal. Someone will take it away from you.

Latest posts