sorghum hay

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone in here use sorghum hay ? I don't know much about it a local Hunt Club ask if I wanted to cut and bale some sorghum before they bushhogged it. They planted the wrong kind they planted tall stuff not dwarf like they meant too. Is this good hay ?

I'd like to know how it turned out also, but I want to know if you have to cut this with a mower conditioner or a regular disc cutter. Could you bale it behind a bushogging?

I used a discbine on mine and crimped it pretty hard. It took 4 days to dry. It also was a hay and graze variety bred to dry down for hay production. If I can get it dry up here I would think it would dry real easy down there even if cut with a rotary mower.

circle the hay turned well got rained on though but was windy dried enough for me to bale it today ... I did take a bale out and put in pasture and cows seemed to like it they ate half the bale while i was in the pasture.

bigbull338":2m2tjbb4 said:
why not because you dont like the idea of having to crimp the sorghum.

No I just have all my pastures and hay fields established and put alot of money into them so I dont want to disc it up and start all over... If I find a small tract to buy or lease I may do so. Do you know what I mean ?

no but we used to cut sorghum an millet hay for people that didnt have a mow/co.an i know what kind of hay it makes put up right.that stuff can grow 7 to 10ft tall.

Sure does... I like how it smells.. this is my first experience with it and the bale i put out they ate it in a day they loved it. I may get a chance to cut it again next year.