Newbie sorghum sudan seeding rate?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
I've got a friend that he and I both want to try sorghum Sudan grass as a forage. Partially to help in case of a drought to have a drought tolerant, fast growing supply of quality grass. My plan is to test it on about 13ish acre field behind my house around a pond. Part of this is to have ability to shut them off it in Oct-ish with first frost and Prussic acid issue we have been warned about. Question being what's the recommended seeding rate? Guy selling it says to go 15-20lbs/acre to help not set my pasture back which is a lot of fescue. Guy going to do the no tilling says 40-50lb. Seems like a drastic difference. No till guy charges same regardless of rate, yet seed guy makes less by selling less seed per acre. Seems neither stands to gain from BSing me.

We do 50lbs/ac in our hay fields where pasture is of no concern. I would agree that you would likely want to cut it down some if you wanted to not shade out some of your current grass.

From what I am seeing it varies from 25-70 depending on variety and usage, I would try to find the data sheet for the variety you're looking at.

I would guess the difference is where you are planting it. The seed salesman is talking about inter seeding in pasture and the guy drilling is talking about planting where the sudax is going to be the only crop.
If you're just experimenting, I would probably seed at a lower rate.

We have always seeded at 20 lbs. for hay. 50 seems really high, but would probably yield more and have smaller stems.

We have always seeded at 20 lbs. for hay. 50 seems really high, but would probably yield more and have smaller stems.
Never thought about stem size from planting heavy but makes sense. We do milo at 40, might go up and see if we get a smaller stem when baling

Bought the seed today. They had the hay grazer that gets 13ft tall, I opted for the dwarf which he says will put on the same number of leaves as the 13ft in a 5ft plant. Little less tonnage due to less stem but the leaves are what's desired anyway. So it's dwarf BMR sorghum Sudan. Which he says is recommended to be seeded 50-75% rate of the haygrazer. I had no idea there were so many varieties.

Eventually I'm looking into a drill. Any recommendations there? No tills are pretty high for my use. Our local NRCS office doesn't have a drill to rent. Any regular drills that work decent in a grass situation? Neighbor has an old international I can use

If you have the acreage, sorghum-sudan is a great addition to your pasture system. It is a bit more expensive than maintaining perennial CSG (cool season grass) stands, but the drought benefit (which you pointed out) and the volume of forage can be quite beneficial. The decision to plant WSG annuals is very much an individual choice and it depends on your goals and objectives as a producer.

You have now figured out there are MANY, MANY varieties of sorghum-sudan. For what you want, stick with a BMR variety. As for the seeding rate, the rates are truly all over the place. My suggestion on that. Don't skimp. That being said, start with a fairly high rate the first year and adjust in subsequent years. The most effective rate for you isn't likely to be the same rate that your neighbor would use. If you like the results of the sorghum-sudan grass production, consider mixing in some cow peas or forage soybeans in future years. You might like the variety it provides, if you decide to try it.

All of our sorghum/sudan is seeded for haymaking... or baleage if the weather won't co-operate. Use 50-70 lbs per acre, heavy, but it puts up smaller stalks and the cows really like it. Can't help with the grazing part... if you don;t want to worry about the prussic acid, go with millet instead.

It's slow so far. Our rain has been very little, about 1.5inches in last 2months. We are currently 10+inches behind and starting to hit 100* next week.

If you have the acreage, sorghum-sudan is a great addition to your pasture system. It is a bit more expensive than maintaining perennial CSG (cool season grass) stands, but the drought benefit (which you pointed out) and the volume of forage can be quite beneficial. The decision to plant WSG annuals is very much an individual choice and it depends on your goals and objectives as a producer.

You have now figured out there are MANY, MANY varieties of sorghum-sudan. For what you want, stick with a BMR variety. As for the seeding rate, the rates are truly all over the place. My suggestion on that. Don't skimp. That being said, start with a fairly high rate the first year and adjust in subsequent years. The most effective rate for you isn't likely to be the same rate that your neighbor would use. If you like the results of the sorghum-sudan grass production, consider mixing in some cow peas or forage soybeans in future years. You might like the variety it provides, if you decide to try it.
I plan to no till some wheat and do a cow peas, cool season type mix in fall

Attachments

• 70887765191__02EA5074-B363-49B3-8C20-B9D092B5EFC4.jpeg
    70887765191__02EA5074-B363-49B3-8C20-B9D092B5EFC4.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 70888087867__13BE37E0-F1ED-464F-93A5-920AD3BC18FB.jpeg
    70888087867__13BE37E0-F1ED-464F-93A5-920AD3BC18FB.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
Not sure about planting in established grass in a pasture but we just planted behind our rye grass hay . We started out with 50lb per acre but wound up closer to 70 . Set the grain drill at the recommended setting and it was putting out too much seed . So we had to buy a few more bags . Two good rains so it's coming up . We have neighbors with a drill but our local farmer coop store rents drills .

I've been so hesitant to pull the trigger. I really need to. I've eat my cool season stuff into the ground and warm season stuff just won't get going. 30 days rest looks like a normal year's 1 week rest.

I hope you all get the moisture you need and hit a home run.

Not sure about planting in established grass in a pasture but we just planted behind our rye grass hay . We started out with 50lb per acre but wound up closer to 70 . Set the grain drill at the recommended setting and it was putting out too much seed . So we had to buy a few more bags . Two good rains so it's coming up . We have neighbors with a drill but our local farmer coop store rents drills .
We have no where near that rents drills. Did find one guy that came and no tilled mine. He agreed to do my wheat later too. I think I should have gone thicker but live and learn. Not going to say I got the best stand, should have grazed it harder and lack of moisture hasn't helped. That really good spot is my hay feeding area.

I've been so hesitant to pull the trigger. I really need to. I've eat my cool season stuff into the ground and warm season stuff just won't get going. 30 days rest looks like a normal year's 1 week rest.

I hope you all get the moisture you need and hit a home run.
I know it's east to say "go for it". But that's why I started small. 10acres ran me about 500. 300 in seed, 170-200 to no till guy. Next year I may do 20-30acres

I know it's east to say "go for it". But that's why I started small. 10acres ran me about 500. 300 in seed, 170-200 to no till guy. Next year I may do 20-30acres
If our moisture will get right for next year I will try some. Got quite a few things I'd like to try here and see how they do. Just doesn't make sense right now.

Definitely share pics or something when it's picture worthy.

Next time, get the existing forage off by grazing or mowing. No-till works but not when the grass is too tall. Too much competition for the new seedling.