Sweet grazer Sudan

Help Support CattleToday:

I tried to hay it two years ago and also seeded two pastures in it. I could never get it dry and the weather never cooperated. Grazing it was so much better and I liked watching them go thru the field eating the leaves and then on the second pass thru the field they would knock down the stems. Pull them off and wait 30 days or so and let them back on it. Makes good hay if you can ever get it dry enough.

I remember when I worked at the Gold Kist store about 50 years ago, we caried something called Sudax. It was a Sorghum- Sudangrass hybrid. Some dairies bought it to raise to cut silage. Several people tried it on their hayfields, but haybines with conditioner rollers on it were rare around here back then. My grandpa had one, but we still had a hard time getting it dry. It did make great grazing though.

Hopefully we'll get this rolled and if I don't get enough regrowth for a second cutting I'll let the cows in on it before frost .

Teddered after church Sunday afternoon, raked this morning around 11 , baling/ rolling today /Tuesday , about 3 . Lots of sun , upper 80's with some wind . I'll leave in the field 5-7 days , then into the barn .

Looks good and smells good ! Everyone around here lets it head out . I wanted it cut before then, plus we were behind our rye grass hay so a little late . I'm hoping for 2 cuttings .

Had a little hiccup, had to run to town to the J Deere store for clutch plates for the baler . Got them back on and we finished baling .

Latest posts