somethings are better left undone...

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
Let me first say that i was alone on my school bus. No kids were in the making of this event.
Let me also say that stupid does not always run in my family (talking about me here)...
This past winter was parking the bus by our honey house at night. However we had some or should i say several thaw days, and since the gravel was just put down last fall, the bus was starting to cut ruts. It also got warm enough that i did not have to plug the bus in. Now these last two nights have been cold. Cold enough to plug in. However, my winter bus parking stall has been taken up by the car and the truck. So i had to manuver the bus close enough to the honey house, and yet miss the growing birch tree, the two piles of gravel that did nto get spread last fall, a ATV trailer with bee feed pails, the atv, the pallet with empty feed pails. I came around the loop, only to find i was to far away from the honey house. I proceded to check my 6 mirrors, shoulder check and look out my 4 bac windows. All clear.
I backed up, only to hear scraping sounds...oh ho, a tree that i missed...but wait, no tree there, checked the mirrors and pulled ahead only to hear a loud thud and crash. ALL STOP!!!. Look in the side mirror, only to find the hydro line on the bus. Yes, my thought was i just pulled down the wires from the house to the honeyhouse. To top it off, that loud crash was me ripping off the strobe light on the bus.
Now here comes the funny part. Need to use my cel phone. Only the one time i do not have it on me because it had to charge. And there was no way i was getting out of the bus since i had no idea if i pulled the wires completely down or not. So onto the two way radio and hope there is someone in the bus garage yet. But wait, what to i tell them? Yeah no the hydro line over the bus is not a good thing to announce on the radiio. So, I ask Bob the mechanic to call my Father inlaw, let the phone ring 20x (yes) and tell him i am in the yard and need immediate help. I am in a pickle. Bob being clever, realizes that what i have done should not be said over the radio and proceded to call the in laws. Telling them there is panic in my voice to go and see what is up, it is an emergency. Twenty questions later, bob convinces them to go. 5 minutes after that FIL comes out...he had to put on his winter boots, his snow suit, and touque for a 30 second walk to my place. Only to come close to the bus, even though on the intercom i yell for him not to come closer, and to shut the main power off to our yard. He in his infinite wisdom things i can go forward with the power on...yeah that took a few minutes to convince that i was not moving until the power was out. So he saunters like all the time in the world to the shop to shut the main power off. Once the power was off, we proceded to get the bus in the clear. The strobe light was intact, it was the emergency hatch that blew...easy fix. Called Bob to tell him i was ok.
However the story does not end there. I did not pull the cables down, rather, the glass insulater was pulled from the wall and the line hung about 12-18 inches off the ground. It gets better...father in law decides he can now turn the power on...YA NO! Wee bit of convincing on that one...
So it gets even better. I procede to call hubby. I ask him if he is calving out a cow. No he is fencing. So i ask him in a real polite way (yes very) if he can come home now...emerency...drop what you are doing....HIS answer was can you come and get me. The tractor is on the other side of the fence, otherwise i will have to walk home (about a half mile). I was stunned. I looked at the phone stunned, placed the phone to my ear, proceded to tell hubby i would come and get him. So I get the car (rav 4) which is loaded with pails of syrup for the bees, and drive in the pasture which has frozen crap piles and ruts to get my husband...who is nowhere in site. On the phone...where are you...fencing....baaaaa...I thought you were coming to get me....start walking toward me please...i get there to the meetin place..he is still fencing...Horn works...and he saunters like not a care in the world, mean while father in law is thinking on turning back on the power to our place (please note his home still has power). Hubby gets into the car, i drive like a mad woman home, syrup sloshing abit, freaking out on the man...only for him to come home to a down sort of wire. He decided to place the ladder up, stops at my insistance to make sure the power did not get turned back on. So off to the shop to make sure the power was out, and proceded in his loving way to fix my mess. Me on the other hand, crawled into bed at 5:30 pm and went to sleep, wishing spring break had already started, and that the one more day of school needed to be a snow day....
Hubby did a good job restoring power...Bus garage had a good laugh this morning....and spring break has officially started...and i still have my job.... :oops:

Oh the life of a bus driver! You sound like my brother, who also drives a SB. He carries a cell phone so his mistakes are not reported on the radio. The other drivers find out anyways! :lol: :lol: A SB driver can't make a tiny mistake without the whole world knowing. I guess thats a good thing.

Latest posts