something to be said for breed docility

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22":1d55z5sr said:
Inyati I would not sell that cow!

I understand. In fact, I would love to see her Top Hand calf. This cow is not mean but she must have a "crazy gene". The day I AI'd her in December, I baited her into the holding area. She was running around the perimeter of the holding area and stopping every 30 feet and going to the fence and looking for a place to go over. I worry about her hurting herself. Better to sell her before she breaks a leg or tears up her udder!

We have had Gelbvieh for six years and are 100% AI and have yet to have to run one through the chute. They have all been bred by throwing a rope on them and tying them up to a post.

glacierridge":3t89t52r said:
Ohrmundt Simmentals":3t89t52r said:
For some cows it depends on who is working them or walking through them. I can walk around with our girls and check them. For the most part they don't do much more then step out of the way or slowly walk away. My Dad can usually do the same, but when my brother goes in the same pasture they are very alert and some even run from him. My brother doesn't do as much time with them as my Dad and I but he is still around quit a bit. They just must not like him very much.

Then I really feel special. I only get to see the babies once or twice a week.
:)
They must have a good memory and good memories from dealing with me.

I think your cows might even like me more than your brother OS.
I don't recall them being too flighty when I came to visit.

Maybe these animals just don't get the vibe that I eat their kind and think I must be safe ;)

Yeah they didn't have any issue when you were there. It's like they know something. It was nice to see that they didn't freak out. I really liked how they were when your nieces and nephews were looking at them. They were very well behaved with all the strangers.

I've had cows that get nervous when working and AIing but I know who they are and run them thru the chute first and then start on the calmer ones. Normally when your working with them, the nervous ones are the first ones to run into the alley on their own, the gentle ones stand in the corners watching the others. My cows look over the fence because they want to be over there, but until they actually jump or attempt to jump a fence I don't worry about them. That's not reason enough to cull a cow IMO, until she starts trying to trample you or jumps over gates, then sell her. If you got her bred once, then I know you could do it again, so why not keep her, just don't keep her calves if their nuts.
I've worked a long time getting docile cows, and now they really have to mess up to cull for disposition. It's a lot easier to gather cattle with a bucket of feed than using horses or dogs.

Latest posts