Something Discouraging...

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2md6dpag said:
flaboy-":2md6dpag said:
rkm":2md6dpag said:
See, didn't I tell you the good thing about kids is that they grow up. Even Flaboy grew up; I Think. :shock: :?:

It's no fun to grow up. :lol:

Truer words were never spoken. Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

dun

Now there is a man that understands. :lol:

Well I grew up, now I'm growing old. I can tell you growing up was more fun than growing old. :shock:

Normally, when Crowder posts something he and I throw a few jabs back at forth (all in good clean fun) but i'll be serious this time.
We were at the sale barn back in the spring (Saturday afternoon sale) the guys that were with me are both old enough to be my dad. I told them to look around the ring and tell me what they saw. They didn't get that I was pointing out that with the exception of some children or grandchildren - I was likely the youngest person in the barn (39). I asked who they thought would be taking over this type of business in another decade, we figured there won't be any. I also attended 2 graded feeder sales this spring and again, I was clearly the youngest person there. I just think that my generation has very little interest in livestock and /or farming. Too dirty, low pay, long hours, no "Employee of the Month" benefits, etc.
I think it stems from people not appreciating where that hamburger they are eating came from - "No little Susie, McDonald's does not have a hamburger machine. That came from a cow that someone raised" (and likely didn't make any money on when they sold it)
Just my two cents worth...

MikeC":3cf0z6uz said:
Hay Haulers down here usually work for free!

Let me explain.........................

1-Pick them up at 7:00 A.M. on the "Work Hangout Corner".
(Never tell them you're hauling squares)

2- By about 10:00 A.M., and after about 3-400 squares have been put in the barn, they slip off......seen walking down the road and NEVER come back to get their paycheck.

3-Go back to the "Corner" the next morning to pick up a fresh batch of haulers.

Funny! But sad though! I had a guy work with me one night cleaning some floors and after the first store was done he said if I would take him home he would not charge me for the night. We had some words and I pulled over to the side of the highway and told him he could either finish the route with me or walk home. He got out and walked home.

Funny thing was he did not know the night was basically over we had been at a grocery store for 6 hours and all we had to do was stop at a Convenient store on the way home that took 30 minutes he thought it was another big store. Funny thing is I would have did it myself because it was open 24 hours and would not let a rookie risk getting a customer hurt. I passed him on highway walking in about 45 minutes after he got out. I saved money and got a good laugh.

Crowderfarms":295p1foj said:
had 2 17 year olds, and their 41 year old Uncle, paid em' 10 bucks an hour, and the Uncle kept saying we had to slow down, because he was born with Bronchitis. I asked him if he meant Asthma? He said nope Bronchitis.

There aint no tellin what you'll run across in the world of Hay Haulers. ;-)

I had bronchitis when I was about a day old...they said something about it being from my mother smokin...the bronchitis went away about 5 or 6 days later

Well on the flip side of keeping youngans on the farm, how do you go about getting a youngan a farm? I am only 25, but grew up around my grandparents, and would love to be able to say that my job was a farmer or rancher. unfortunatly, there have not been any opportunities for me to fullfill my dreams. With the cost of land, and no "family farm" so to say, It is very hard to afford to buy land. Plus the bank dont loan money on a handshake anymore like they used to for my grandfather. So how in the world can you "start" farming in these times. It seems like you have to have a million dollars in order to get everything set up for a farm. I guess Im at a loss.

csutton

csutton":2xq64hzu said:
It seems like you have to have a million dollars in order to get everything set up for a farm. I guess Im at a loss.

csutton

depends on what size farm you want to run

csutton":ft6vz7j5 said:
Well on the flip side of keeping youngans on the farm, how do you go about getting a youngan a farm? I am only 25, but grew up around my grandparents, and would love to be able to say that my job was a farmer or rancher. unfortunatly, there have not been any opportunities for me to fullfill my dreams. With the cost of land, and no "family farm" so to say, It is very hard to afford to buy land. Plus the bank dont loan money on a handshake anymore like they used to for my grandfather. So how in the world can you "start" farming in these times. It seems like you have to have a million dollars in order to get everything set up for a farm. I guess Im at a loss.

csutton

I'll take a shot at this.

Provide services to established farmers. Can you run a baling crew? Install water tanks? Do herd work like vaccinating etc?
Make money and save it. When properties come open you'll be in a position to throw it all into a rathole. :)

When I was 25, the farm media had stories on the "aging farmers". Then, the average farmer was about my age now (56). Today, the average farmer is just a little older than that, I think. (someone may correct me) But by farmer, we actually mean "farm owners". Ownership changes all the time.

It isn't really a glamour lifestyle, you'll work a LOT of overtime.
Good luck.

I aint scared to work, to me its a way of life. we used to run custom bailing, but I was just outa high school and my grandfather was ready to call it quits, told me he was gonna leave it to me, then the next day he sold his equipment. I have seemed to always be a "hayseed" but If we dont break this drought, no bailers will ever run around here. I would love to have a hay service, sort of a warehouse for different varites of hay available for sell.

csutton

Lots of stories and lots of thoughts. But in the end it usually boils down to one thing.

Cash money.

For any kid - male or female to get into farming - for anything other than a hobby - it takes more money than most will ever have.

Can it be done? Yes - but the fact that it becomes almost impossible to start out and make a living is the detractor.

I personally cannot at this moment think of one full time farmer or rancher under the age of 40 who started out on his/her own. Are there exceptions? Of course - but they are also a rarity - and even those who have done the start up on their own will admit it. S/he also likely had a spouse with a good paying job in town.

There are a few in my area who had good families and their "transition plan" allowed at least one of the kids to take over without a huge tax bill.

But truly and realistically - if you were a young man or a young woman would you willingly go into debt for 100's of thousands of dollars - or more - and not know if you could pay it off in your lifetime - to be a full timer?

They think differently than us old folks do - they do not want to work 7 days a week and they do not want to have to sit and worry if commodity pricing will hold for at least one more week. And they do not want to have to go through what some folks have - hoping like heaven that they can hold the farm / ranch for another year due to outside circumstances.

Hobby stuff does not really count in my eyes because you can walk to the door and sell everything and still drive to your job wherever tomorrow morning. Do NOT chew on me folks - this is not a slam - it is just a plain fact - and I do not mind it one bit.

Most hobby people do it for lifestyle and do not depend upon the cash - if there is any. Our children may become hobbyists when they age - just to catch a bit of the old ways - but most will not likely return to a full time outfit unless it is given to them - and even then it will likely simply be broken up and sold at a profit.

Where are the banks that will get in bed with the young farmer unless s/he has a serious co-signor?

How many folks do you know that want to put their life savings at risk to co-sign that loan?

It all boils down to something other than desire - it comes down to money - and risk of losing all if commodity pricing plunges. These kids are not stupid - there is no protective net for them.

Kids are leaving the old farts to ag because they got in when it was cheap and profit was - while not always guaranteed - something that could be had with good management.

This is not the always case today - and in truth losses are far more common than profit - with folks hoping the subsidy cheque, grant cheque, various fed / state / prov assistance cheques will cover the next round of bills while the wife works in town AND on the farm/ranch.

Especially when the banker wants his money.

This is a big issue to me - as many here know - we came very close several times to losing everything due to BSE. My kids love the life - but ask my daughters if they would be willing to do what we had to do to keep the land.

Their answer? A resounding no! And in truth I support their decision. They can make more money and have less stress - and the big one - they can use that money to develop their own lifestyle.

Heck - when I am dead and gone they will likely rent the land out and use the house as a summer place - or sell it. Their memories will be good ones - but they will easily remember the bad ones as well. And these are good country girls than can run a place without a fellow around. And they enjoy it. But that is because Mom and Dad do the real work - the worry stuff.

Neither of my girls want their lifestyle dictated by forward contracting packers, vegetable buyers, grain buyers or that dastardly neighbour who will not sell you hay in a drought unless you pay more than 100 bucks a bale - when your back is to the wall. (We all have at least one of them)

Cash folks. Make it pay and more will come. Otherwise they will develop their own lifestyle.

Good, bad or indifferent I believe the kids are telling us they do not want to go through what we in my house - and in many other houses - have gone through.

Bez?

MikeC":1f3fwkfq said:
Hay Haulers down here usually work for free!

Let me explain.........................

1-Pick them up at 7:00 A.M. on the "Work Hangout Corner".
(Never tell them you're hauling squares)

2- By about 10:00 A.M., and after about 3-400 squares have been put in the barn, they slip off......seen walking down the road and NEVER come back to get their paycheck.

3-Go back to the "Corner" the next morning to pick up a fresh batch of haulers.

That is about how it is up here, too, except at some point the kids (and a lot that aren't) call to see when their check is going to be delivered - and then develop an attitude when they are told they can come any time to pick it up. :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

csutton":1exi56xt said:

csutton

Im telling you guys. The FSA is your best friend.

They have several farm ownership programs.

csutton":3i7bscx1 said:

csutton

Not sure what it would take to become a full time Rancher or Farmer. But as far as becoming a Hobby guy or I believe a part-time Rancher is possible if a person works at it. Just might be hard to get it all when you are young.

In our case I was raised in the country on 40 acres but not a farm. Started a business when 20 years old. Bought a cheap house when I was 18 for $5,000.00. Fixed up, lived in for few years bought another house and rented out the first one. Then sold both of them and bought a nicer house, then bought another rent house. Sold them bought a nicer home fixed it up for a few years, then bought a cheap 15,000.00 rent house.

Then sold the nicer house, and the Rent house for 20,000.00 sold a shop I had bought for 15,000.00 and bought our 130 acre farm.

Took 18 years to get here, now I have a 130 acre Hobby farm with 20 cows. Now my game plan is to look to buy another 100 acres by the time I am 50 and build a herd up to say 50 cows. Never be a full time guy but if you work towards the end it is possible, but I think the reason most farmers and Ranchers are over 40 is it takes time to get there. We could have been here sooner but I liked Race Cars, Motorcycles, speed boats and other toys along the trip.

Just focus and work towards it and most dreams can come true.

aplusmnt":1b4jc6dn said:
csutton":1b4jc6dn said:

csutton

Nothing worthwile comes easy.

Not sure what it would take to become a full time Rancher or Farmer. But as far as becoming a Hobby guy or I believe a part-time Rancher is possible if a person works at it. Just might be hard to get it all when you are young.

In our case I was raised in the country on 40 acres but not a farm. Started a business when 20 years old. Bought a cheap house when I was 18 for $5,000.00. Fixed up, lived in for few years bought another house and rented out the first one. Then sold both of them and bought a nicer house, then bought another rent house. Sold them bought a nicer home fixed it up for a few years, then bought a cheap 15,000.00 rent house.

Then sold the nicer house, and the Rent house for 20,000.00 sold a shop I had bought for 15,000.00 and bought our 130 acre farm.

Took 18 years to get here, now I have a 130 acre Hobby farm with 20 cows. Now my game plan is to look to buy another 100 acres by the time I am 50 and build a herd up to say 50 cows. Never be a full time guy but if you work towards the end it is possible, but I think the reason most farmers and Ranchers are over 40 is it takes time to get there. We could have been here sooner but I liked Race Cars, Motorcycles, speed boats and other toys along the trip.

Just focus and work towards it and most dreams can come true.

Latest posts