Something else imported to worry about...........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/asian-giant-hornet-washington.html

With queens that can grow to two inches long, Asian giant hornets can use mandibles shaped like spiked shark fins to wipe out a honeybee hive in a matter of hours, decapitating the bees and flying away with the thoraxes to feed their young. For larger targets, the hornet's potent venom and stinger — long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit — make for an excruciating combination that victims have likened to hot metal driving into their skin.

In Japan, the hornets kill up to 50 people a year. Now, for the first time, they have arrived in the United States.

Asian-giant-hornet-8.jpg

THis is what they do to a honey bee hive in short order

merlin_172116795_341b34a8-532e-419c-97f4-9b06291e9b53-superJumbo.jpg

Its the price that's paid for globalization. As an example the majority of noxious plants e.g. weeds were unintentionally introduced into North America when they hitched a ride via transatlantic shipment of goods.

Here in Australia we are getting new weeds and bugs weekly it seems. I am over it. But i have heard our eucalyptus and melaleuca (paperbark) trees are becoming a real pest in parts of the world. Saw an episode of dirty jobs where they were trying to control them in swamps.

Redgully said:
Here in Australia we are getting new weeds and bugs weekly it seems. I am over it. But i have heard our eucalyptus and melaleuca (paperbark) trees are becoming a real pest in parts of the world. Saw an episode of dirty jobs where they were trying to control them in swamps.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beaumontenterprise.com/business/amp/Bioengineered-trees-take-root-in-Southeast-Texas-733261.php

Caustic Burno said:
Redgully said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beaumontenterprise.com/business/amp/Bioengineered-trees-take-root-in-Southeast-Texas-733261.php
I often wonder why hack berry and sweet gum trees were not used for paper making. They are pretty fast growing trees also.

Raccoons have been a big problem in Japan for a while.
Obnoxious blood thirsty scourge of the earth in my book. Beyond me why people intentionally & unintentionally nurture them & other predators & then complain. :roll:

76 Bar said:
Obnoxious blood thirsty scourge of the earth in my book. Beyond me why people intentionally & unintentionally nurture them & other predators & then complain. :roll:

They tell me years ago around here that people hunted them and hardly ever found one. Now the things are all over the place can't hardly grow sweet corn and have to pen up chickens at night in a coon proof place.

76 Bar said:

Plus they eat my expensive mineral with CTC. They're cute, I'll give 'em that.

When we lived in Austin they pried the flashing away from the corner of the tile roof and made it into the attic. Of course we didn't realize that until we heard a huge racket one night. Had a trapper come out & he could only find one (female) and he guessed there was also a male & she killed him. His prediction was spot on; the male had climbed between the walls and died. Nothing you can do but wait until it decomposes for the smell to go away.

Ky hills said:
76 Bar said:

They tell me years ago around here that people hunted them and hardly ever found one. Now the things are all over the place can't hardly grow sweet corn and have to pen up chickens at night in a coon proof place.

My dad was a serious coon hunter. What changed is land ownership not wanting a coon hound treed in their front yard at 2am. I have seen insane amounts of cash trade hands on hunts for "the hound".

Caustic Burno said:
Ky hills said:
76 Bar said:

My dad was a serious coon hunter. What changed is land ownership not wanting a coon hound treed in their front yard at 2am. I have seen insane amounts of cash trade hands on hunts for "the hound".

My uncle pete spent his life in a wheelchair after climbing up in a big post oak to kick a coon out to the dogs. Fell and broke his back. He was in his early twenties.

They're cute, I'll give 'em that.
I beg to differ. Not a damned thing cute about the miserable little beasts! :roll: Eons ago I had a hen nurturing a clutch in what I thought was a safe chicken wire cage inside what I thought was a secure hen house. The rotten marauders dug into the hen house, reached thru the wire and in the morning there was hardly a feather left.

76 Bar said:
They're cute, I'll give 'em that.
I beg to differ. Not a damned thing cute about the miserable little beasts! :roll: Eons ago I had a hen nurturing a clutch in what I thought was a safe chicken wire cage inside what I thought was a secure hen house. The rotten marauders dug into the hen house, reached thru the wire and in the morning there was hardly a feather left.

I had a few quails in a cage that I thought was secure and they cleaned out those quail in one night. Over the years I've had several chickens killed by them. It's to the point here where free range chickens are either just a legend or there is a huge loss that's just accepted. I have to keep mine in an enclosed pen and fastened in a building at night.

Latest posts