Something else imported to worry about...........

Help Support CattleToday:

I can walk to the tree where the dogs treed the first coon I ever seen. We hunted a lot and treed 3 that year.
When I stopped hunting I could usually tree 3-4 a night.

76 Bar said:
They're cute, I'll give 'em that.
I beg to differ. Not a damned thing cute about the miserable little beasts! :roll: Eons ago I had a hen nurturing a clutch in what I thought was a safe chicken wire cage inside what I thought was a secure hen house. The rotten marauders dug into the hen house, reached thru the wire and in the morning there was hardly a feather left.

That's horrible!

We had a huge problem with them around the barn a few years ago and can't remember how many we trapped/euthanized but something like 50+. Even the kits.

That said, I made one exception. Had a cow with lymphoma and while she still had a great appetite, still raising a nice calf, she decided to leave the herd and hang out in the woods at the south pond. The cubes were too much of a temptation for a racoon and it ended up hanging out with the calf all the time, even when the cubes were gone. I couldn't pull the trigger. (I know you're reeeeally rolling your eyes now!)

That's horrible!
It certainly was...not even a toe nail from the hen left behind. Evidence indicated the perps were a sow and kit(s) who had encircled the cage.
(I know you're reeeeally rolling your eyes now!)
I certainly am. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Caustic Burno said:
Redgully said:
Here in Australia we are getting new weeds and bugs weekly it seems. I am over it. But i have heard our eucalyptus and melaleuca (paperbark) trees are becoming a real pest in parts of the world. Saw an episode of dirty jobs where they were trying to control them in swamps.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beaumontenterprise.com/business/amp/Bioengineered-trees-take-root-in-Southeast-Texas-733261.php

CB why don't you check into sending those Chinese folks a couple loads of wild hogs. :lol2:

TexasBred said:
Caustic Burno said:
Redgully said:
Here in Australia we are getting new weeds and bugs weekly it seems. I am over it. But i have heard our eucalyptus and melaleuca (paperbark) trees are becoming a real pest in parts of the world. Saw an episode of dirty jobs where they were trying to control them in swamps.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beaumontenterprise.com/business/amp/Bioengineered-trees-take-root-in-Southeast-Texas-733261.php

CB why don't you check into sending those Chinese folks a couple loads of wild hogs. :lol2:
I can think of something to send them Chinese, and it would be sent by air mail.

kenny thomas said:
I can walk to the tree where the dogs treed the first coon I ever seen. We hunted a lot and treed 3 that year.

Trapping had a lot to do with numbers now and then. Back in the early 70's a bobcat hide was north of 100 bucks coon was 10 to 15.
I don't know of anyone trapping for hides today.

Caustic Burno said:
kenny thomas said:

Trapping had a lot to do with numbers now and then. Back in the early 70's a bobcat hide was north of 100 bucks coon was 10 to 15.
I could call Fox and if I had good luck make over $100 a night. Got $ 14-18for the big coons. My day job paid $80 a week.

Caustic Burno said:
Ky hills said:
76 Bar said:
Obnoxious blood thirsty scourge of the earth in my book. Beyond me why people intentionally & unintentionally nurture them & other predators & then complain. :roll:

They tell me years ago around here that people hunted them and hardly ever found one. Now the things are all over the place can't hardly grow sweet corn and have to pen up chickens at night in a coon proof place.

My dad was a serious coon hunter. What changed is land ownership not wanting a coon hound treed in their front yard at 2am. I have seen insane amounts of cash trade hands on hunts for "the hound".
Tone broke hounds and Onix property owner maps are changing this at long last. If you have never hunted with this combo it is amazing hunting on smaller farms.

TexasBred said:
Caustic Burno said:
Redgully said:

Maybe drop a few beaver on them too.

Caustic Burno said:
kenny thomas said:

Russia was the big buyer of hides and when their economy went down hill the hide market went to zero or near zero.

In the early 80's I got $35-40 for a big coon. Coyotes averaged $100. Good bobcats brought in $300. And muskrats averaged over $4. I was making $120 a day falling timber but I would put the saw away about mid October and not pick it up until March. Made more money trapping and it was a heck of a lot more fun. I did put in much longer days especially when you count the time in the fur shed. But it all went to heck in about '87.

Latest posts