Something for the folks from Missouri

Help Support CattleToday:

I've toured the Missouri and have been above the Arizona. Most eerie feeling on a tour I have ever been on. My wife and I both felt the same thing, knowing all the souls still sealed underneath us, more than a 100 people in the tourist area above the Arizona, could have heard a pin drop. Complete respect and humility from all. Even on the boat ride back from the Arizona not a peep from anyone. I will remember that forever.

dun":28ydw32p said:
I retired from the Navy on the ceremony deck of the MO.
To you and all our other veterans, thank you for your service! :tiphat:

The only military vessel I've been on is the LST docked at Evansville, IN. My maternal grandpa (Navy) and dad (Marines) both were on a Large Slow Target during their time. After seeing the little chain bunks hanging from the walls of the ship it gives you a newfound respect for anybody who spent time on a military vessel, not much in the way of creature comforts there.

A funny story from Grandpa. He was on the crew of the LST, and they were at Iwo Jima in WWII. He was looking at the beach and decided to get off and walk around, as the front sounded far away, and he didn't see anything going on. He was walking down the beach when he came upon a soldier prone on the ground, who he asked "hey buddy, where's the front?" to which the reply was "right here you dumb son of a bxxxx, get down!" Grandpa, who in his words was just a "dumbass kid" at the time, didn't have a helmet on, beat it back to the ship! So much for his leisurely walk.