Something Discouraging...

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
I don't know if it's true in your neck of the woods, but around these parts, I've noticed the lack of younger folks, showing an interest in the Cattle Business. The last Cattleman's meeting I went to, I was the youngest member there, and I'm 40 something.

What will happen to this business, if young folks don't see the legacy continues? Will big Agribusiness continue to take the Farmers out one by one off the "Family Farm/Ranch"? Seems we may head down the road as the Hog farmer did.

I fully understand that many members of the younger generation don't want to work as hard as we have, to thrive and prosper in this world, and land values across the country have forced a lot of folks to sell out.

IMHO, there is not an occupation more important in this good Ol' USA than the American Farmer/Rancher. He produces products that feed the entire world. He produces a quality product that is safe to eat, and produces it with pride. I'm always trying to teach my Kids about the value of the Family operation, and I hope they remain here for generations to come. Time will tell.

What do you think?

Kinda see the same thing here for the most part. There are a few young people that I hve seen show interest in cattle. My neighbors son and my daughter are two for sure, my son hopefully will but too young to be sure. My daughter wants to get into some type of ag related job pklus keep her cows, hope it works out for her.

Sure hope someone in America stays in the business, for I feel the worst thing that could happen to this country would be to depend on another for our food.

On another matter I was talking with some one in my profession, mechanic, this week and he made the comment that very few young people in it. After thinking about it, thats true too. What are all the young people doing?

tom4018":2n1ikvax said:
After thinking about it, thats true too. What are all the young people doing?

Studying business administration, computer science, economics and banking and finance. Looking for a more lucrative career.

I do see a few here and there in my area who have some interest in continuing the family farms/ranches, but they are few and far between.

Sad example; a family in my area at one time (many years and a couple generations ago) had approx. 1,000 acres which were farmed. Diversified. Some acres in corn, some in wheat, a small orchard, hogs, turkeys and some acres dedicated to cattle. Here we are those many years and generations later and roughly 180 of those acres are still owned by family members such as nieces, nephews, grandchildren etc. all in much smaller parcels. Of all those folks one son-in-law has about 20 acres with about 35 cows. I once asked several of the remaining family members why this is the case. The answers were pretty consistant and basically were "too much work" "no interest" "not enough money it".

Katherine

So I wonder what the average age on this board is. I am 38. I read somewhere the average age of farmer/ranchers in Oklahoma was 50.

I've got my 10 year old in 4H , I think that's a good push in the right direction!
We also went to Texas A&M , this summer for a Poultry science
workshop , The people there were so great, and really talked about how important it was to get kids interested in agriculture!
Made a big difference with my girl , Ended up going to the mall ,and getting her a new Wardrobe (MAROON) ,thank you God!!
Earlier this year , she was bugging me about buying her a Sony playstation,MP3 player, cell phone,,ETC.

I told her , why don't you take your money out of the bank,
(the money she got from raising chickens), and buy a heifer calf,
You can put it out with our herd, and then once a year you can sell your calf, andbuy whatever you want?

She decided that was a good idea :lol:
The next day she comes up to me and says :
"hey dad , if I buy a Bull calf, he'll replace your bull , and I can charge you 50% for every calf that you sell!

That's the reason for donating or at least dicounting the cost of clves to 4H/FFA kids. Support your local youth agricultural endeavors, do what you cna to insure that the ag teachers in the schoolls are moe then flower arrangers, etc. It would help if it was easier to get started and make a living, but that's just pie in the sky crazy talk.
Every year our local fair has fewer and fewer animals. This yeart there was total of 9 goats, all Boers and only 2 for showing, the others were strictly display models.

dun

dun":3moddwjw said:
That's the reason for donating or at least dicounting the cost of clves to 4H/FFA kids. Support your local youth agricultural endeavors, do what you cna to insure that the ag teachers in the schoolls are moe then flower arrangers, etc. It would help if it was easier to get started and make a living, but that's just pie in the sky crazy talk.
Every year our local fair has fewer and fewer animals. This yeart there was total of 9 goats, all Boers and only 2 for showing, the others were strictly display models.

dun

I can't find a young person to show any calves and I have offered to give them a calf and pay expenses until it's sold then I get half. Is that a good deal?

MikeC":1iw1o3r7 said:
I can't find a young person to show any calves and I have offered to give them a calf and pay expenses until it's sold then I get half. Is that a good deal?

Yes it's a good deal. No 4H/FFA in your area?

dun

The problem around here is when a farm is sold(at auction) it goes in tracts and usually has a subdivision on it in the next year or two. I can't even remember when the last time a farm sold as a whole. It won't be but a few years and there will only be a handful of farms here. Doesn't matter if the people interested in farming are young or old won't be one for them to farm on.

it takes money to make money. one acre costs enough nowadays, much less 50+. lets not forget our $100,000 starter homes and big showy vehicles either. why would anyone want to get into a RISKY, low income, laborious job that has slow returns? lots dont know about programs to help beginning farmers and ranchers.
others would rather have an air conditioned office, a "higher" status, less risk, and let somebody else do the hard stuff. after all, food come from the grocery store.

My husband and I decided to let our kids have a heifer calf of their own along time ago hoping it would encourage some farm interest. It has helped some. The 11 yr has one hereford cow and says when she gets older she is moving to CA. The 9 yr has at least 5 cows and heifers she owns,plus two goats. She says when she get older she is going to stay here. The farmers on each side of us don't have any one interested in taking over when they retire and there is already one development that is too close for comfort. So I hope she can get to stay here for a long time.

MikeC":2hkeg53y said:
dun":2hkeg53y said:

dun

That is a very good deal. I sure wished you would've lived here in TX, I'd have definitely bought a couple. It's too late for me now, though. :(

Jay

jaydill":31ai59m9 said:
MikeC":31ai59m9 said:
dun":31ai59m9 said:

dun

That is a very good deal. I sure wished you would've lived here in TX, I'd have definitely bought a couple. It's too late for me now, though. :(

Jay

Same thing I was thinking! Ship one out my way and I'm sure I can find the time to do a 4H project next year! :p

I had an offer sort of like that last year and I took advantage of it -- steers are an expensive project, that's for sure.

Our market sale needs help though -- Grand Champion this year only went for 2.10/lb and Reserve for 1.95 or 1.90/lb (don't remember which). Sure doesn't bring in the kind of money other fairs do.

Crowderfarms":2je1y4xp said:
IMHO, there is not an occupation more important in this good Ol' USA than the American Farmer/Rancher. He produces products that feed the entire world. He produces a quality product that is safe to eat, and produces it with pride. I'm always trying to teach my Kids about the value of the Family operation, and I hope they remain here for generations to come. Time will tell.

What do you think?

well think about what your children are learning in school...do you think they are being taught that agriculture is the most important occupation in the USA?...I doubt it...most school don't teach the children about the values of the working men and women...it is not a top priority at the schools...most of the teacher here are also farmer's themselves so they know how important it is to teach our youth about agriculture...the county schoolboard here knows dang well that at least 95% of the children here are going to grow up to be farmers, it's just how our community is...the kids around here aint ashamed to grow up and be farmers, they are proud of it...they understand the concepts of hard work and they understand how important agriculture is to our country...my favorite part about farming is having the high school kids come and work for me on my farm during the school year...I think it is great to see them come out here and want to learn about hard work and farming...the best part is when they tell me how eager they are to grow up and start their own farm

I believe there are still plenty of children out there willing to take over the family farming businesses

The thing that seems to be forgotten is that farming/ranching is a way of life not just a business. This on a fulltime basis.

Heritage_Farmboy":2lrtnxcw said:
I believe there are still plenty of children out there willing to take over the family farming businesses

Let's hope so.

When those high school kids come out to your place, with any luck you are having them work with the work horses as well. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have some of our young folks learn some of the old ways, by using real horse power.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":ecfyii2b said:
Heritage_Farmboy":ecfyii2b said:

Let's hope so.

When those high school kids come out to your place, with any luck you are having them work with the work horses as well. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have some of our young folks learn some of the old ways, by using real horse power.

Katherine

The kid's really enjoy working with the mules and draft horses...about 3 years ago I had a junior working here and he just moved here...one day I wanted him to plow, he asked me where the tractor was and I pointed to the mules...he thought it was the coolest thing in the world that he would get to do it the old way...he told me that he didn't know anybody still used mules and horses instead of tractors...now he's about 21 years old and has his own farm beside mine, and he also uses draft horses on his own land...I guess once you do things the old way, they kind of stick with you...it's harder to do and it takes up more time but it feels good to keep the tradition going on

Even though there's a growing number of people living in the cities, agriculture is still all around (even in the city, if you think about it). It's in our blood, from our ancestors way back who pioneered this land for the people around North America nowadays. I still find agricultural shows around the cities and rodeos that you'd find city folk taking their kids to.

I don't think the ag spirit for farming has died out. I think it just needs to be replenished.

Latest posts