Some pictures of my mongrels

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
4 yr old cow with this years bull calf, she's had 3 super nice calves and never a kernal of grain.
We named her "Nancy Reagan" don't ask why but everyone remembers her.
october_2011_084.JPG

20 mo. old heifer is bred to longhorn bull to make her first calving trouble free.My daughter named her "Taylor Swift"
october_2011_124.JPG

Putting some hay up yesterday with my daughter and her new puppy "Jim"
october_2011_074.JPG

" Redbull"
october_2011_125.JPG

My new toy
october_2011_145.JPG

Thanks rustler! He's 2 1/2, does horn growth usually taper off at some point? I'm wondering just how big he will get and also he's really rubbing on the trees hard and the outer layer is kind of flaking off. Is this normal and is there anything special I should be giving him mineral wise?

Your mongrels looks a lot better than some purebreds I've seen posted here. Not so sure about your bull of choice, but to each his own.

A pleasant set of mongrels indeed. Regarding horn growth, they say that a bull has roughly half the maximum span at 12 months and a heifer at 15 months. This is "tip to tip" and includes the head itself.The following years horns grow less and less. And still grows some no matter how old they get.

Thanks for the compliments. I spent too many years in the dairy business and now that I work off the farm my goal is just to have a nice small herd that doesn't have much overhead and is easy to take care of and supplies my family and friends with some good healthy delicious beef that was raised as humanely as possible. I know there is plenty of cattle out there with bigger hind quarters and whatever else, but I guarantee you won't find any happier healthier cattle. Stress free is the life for me!

Nice looking animals Steve....but as others have commented, they look better than some purebreds I've seen. Down here we call them "mestizos" or mixed blooded animals. Some are really good milk producers and all of them seem to survive where most of the European breeds couldn't.

As for that toy, I just sold a D8K I'd owned for a couple of years.....felt like I was working for the machine instead of the other way around. :lol2: