Some pics of the herd

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":ulnkwvqy said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of weaning weights do these heifers have that mature at 1000 lbs?

Thanks

Not sure who you adressed the question to, but it really depends a lot on the milking ability of the cow, but as a rule under extensive conditions if there is no grain being fed and no dairy influence and there is enough grazing it should be between 43 and 45 % of the dam's weight.

One of my bull customers herd is roughly 25% jersey 75% hereford that he breeds back to hereford bulls, his cows are on average about 1000lbs, but he plants oats for winter grazing, his weaning weights are extremely high and the calves very milk fat. As long as he weans on the way to the salebarn he does extremely well, but I can imagine the after weaning growth will be very slow.

CPL":nptrf9br said:
What age is the average in determining mature weight. Anything after 2 yrs? I know a cows weight will go up and down depending on the season, but when should you weigh to get an accurate mature weight measurement?
The answer to that question is similar to the question, "What is normal?" "Average" and "Normal" are somewhat a "Non-Existant" result.

I feel that to get a pragmatic, or reasonably intelligent answer to be able to refer to it as a "Rule of Thumb", so to speak, we must have some idea of what the word "Mature" actually means. Because we are concerned with Beef Cattle in our example, it is incumbent that our references be 'Agriculturally Oriented', so I used research reports from several Universities, large seedstock producers, and MARC (Meat Animal Research Center). It seems that the term "Mature" is usually in the eye or mind of the beholder!

Some breeders consider a mature cow as one whose weight is over 1400 pounds, whatever age that may happen to be. In other words, "Mature" is weight first and age later. Some consider just the opposite - Age at "7" years, - and still others use the defining criteria at the number of calves the cow has produced, usually after weaning the third calf of her production lifel Some producers specify maturity according to the breed, or origin of the breed concerned.

Quoting MARC evaluation results revealed some interesting comparisons of various breeds of four-year old cows. Here are the four-year old cow weights by sire breed:

Simmental 1353 pounds
Hereford 1348 pounds
Angus 1342 pounds
Charolais 1339 pounds
Limousin 1330 pounds
Gelbvieh 1282 pounds

From these research figures, it would seem that the "Average", "Normal" or "Usual" point of consideration for determination of Maturity of a Cow 'hovers' around 4.5 to 5.5 years, and weighs about 1300 - 1350 pounds.

My personal recommendations for establishing goals of mature cow weights in a breeding herd is an average of 1250 pounds at the age of five years, and here we are again as to the interpretation of the word 'Average"!

Big cows do NOT mean Large Profits!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, thanks for the information.

Back on subject, nice looking herefords- if some of them had the hindquarter to go with it they would be nice. Of course they haven't seen the feed that others have though. I think the first one looks real nice.

At the time of those pics they had only been on a creep feeder for a week or so. What you see in those pictures is what they did off of grass.

I am trying to pick the right bull for my herd. That bull needs to have a heavy hindquarter. Though their hindquarters aren't as bad as these pictures show, that is something we are working on. Thanks for those comments.

oakcreekfarms":2zw6rfoa said:
It means that she is to big for most any herd. She does keep weight on very easily, doesn't take any grain or extra special feed. She just stays around the 1750lb range. ....

.... I want my cows around the 1400lb range. They need to maintain condition on grass and hay, maybe a few cubes or a protien bucket occasionally.

Though a 1000-1200lb cow might be the most effecient in lb weaned per body weight, I am not sure that those type of cows give you the performance in their calves that is needed to sell seedstock bulls. I want a lot of performance in my calves, but need to walk a fine line with momma cow weight to get it. Anyone have answer as to where that line is?

We just got back from the NAILE Friday evening, played 'catch-up' at home all weekend. My first thought when seeing these pictures was "darn, they're thin", but I was brainwashed by the cattle at the NAILE being pig-fat. It looks like you have a nice set of calves there.
I'd be happy with a frame size 5, 13-1400 lb cow in good flesh. I did not agree with the judging of the Herefords at the NAILE, too many classes were placed heaviest to lightest. The grand champion Hereford bull weighed over 2600 lbs! They didn't measure frame size, but there were a number of really big bulls. They looked impressive, but I don't think we need to be getting our cattle that big. I thought a rough idea on how big to get the cows was aim for a mature weight about equal to the weight desired for a fat steer. I don't think we need our bulls exceeding 1000 lbs of that weight, if that much.

Chris H":2bl9obi2 said:
oakcreekfarms":2bl9obi2 said:
It means that she is to big for most any herd. She does keep weight on very easily, doesn't take any grain or extra special feed. She just stays around the 1750lb range. ....

.... I want my cows around the 1400lb range. They need to maintain condition on grass and hay, maybe a few cubes or a protien bucket occasionally.

Though a 1000-1200lb cow might be the most effecient in lb weaned per body weight, I am not sure that those type of cows give you the performance in their calves that is needed to sell seedstock bulls. I want a lot of performance in my calves, but need to walk a fine line with momma cow weight to get it. Anyone have answer as to where that line is?

I'd be happy with a frame size 5, 13-1400 lb cow in good flesh. I did not agree with the judging of the Herefords at the NAILE, too many classes were placed heaviest to lightest. The grand champion Hereford bull weighed over 2600 lbs! They didn't measure frame size, but there were a number of really big bulls. They looked impressive, but I don't think we need to be getting our cattle that big. I thought a rough idea on how big to get the cows was aim for a mature weight about equal to the weight desired for a fat steer. I don't think we need our bulls exceeding 1000 lbs of that weight, if that much.

I agree with this. Or at least I think it is the right way to go.

Oakcreekfarms nice looking calves. somthing to be proud of. JHH

Latest posts