Reaction score
Misc025.jpg

SHF Marshall x Red Tornado daughter

Misc002.jpg

SHF Revolution x K-k Reba
not the best picture, he has ample rear, big top, and good depth

Misc013.jpg

SHF Progress x P606 daughter out of Governess K61
Picture taken at 150 days old, she is going to be really nice.

Misc014.jpg

262dxVictor f243

S01patriot07.jpg

patriot 5401 x previous cow

Should have more pics once we get everything cut out and moved

By the way, there has been nothing but grass for these cows and calves. We put in a creep feeder to get the bulls ready about 3 weeks ago. Cows have been only on grass, and now are on hay.

Oak, very impressive herefords. That first heifer, is that the heifer calf from the cow you bought in the 2007 Red Hills Sale?

THG

yes, she is the oldest of the calves. I believe that she is a very well put together package with a good pedigree and epd to back it up

those are some nice hereford.an your right they are fat an sassy.you do have some nice cattle thats for sure.

Thanks for the comments

I had expected to hear from more people, but I guess around here no news is good news.

i really like the depth on the last 18month old bred heifer. That is the type of heifer I would like to consistently produce. I have some more pictures to post when i get a chance

It's all gone now, we just had a 10 acre pasture set aside for the cows when we brought them home. Now we are just on hay like most everyone else

Thank-you for sharing OCF. The animal in the third photo looks very familiar to me. Can you go more in depth about her pedigree?

oakcreekfarms":7syqgu26 said:
Thanks for the comments

I had expected to hear from more people, but I guess around here no news is good news.

i really like the depth on the last 18month old bred heifer. That is the type of heifer I would like to consistently produce. I have some more pictures to post when i get a chance

I agree, add a little more in the hindquarter and you'll have a really good package.

The first heifer looks very promising, the second has very good eyes and the third is really to early to tell from a photo.

oakcreekfarms":2tcc0y5a said:
If you are talking about the cow here is her info
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 5&9=5B5D51
If you are talking about the heifer she is a SHF Progress P20 out of P606xGoverness K61. K61 is a daughter of Governor out of a daughter of interstate

Based upon my preliminary calcs, she is 15% Feltons 517. No wonder she looks familiar. Low BW and high WW sounds like ka-ching music.

Her BW will soon be going up. She is just to big of a cow to have 80lb calves. I am trying to place her sons in terminal type situations. I found a herd in Nebraska that runs 600 black momma cows that might be interested in him.

oakcreekfarms":34ja2a60 said:
Her BW will soon be going up. She is just to big of a cow to have 80lb calves. I am trying to place her sons in terminal type situations. I found a herd in Nebraska that runs 600 black momma cows that might be interested in him.
-OCF- I am a little at a loss to understand your meaning! :? Are you saying that the cow is too big and you are trying to moderate your cow herd weight, or are you saying that you are seeking heavier calves overall?

DOC HARRIS

It means that she is to big for most any herd. She does keep weight on very easily, doesn't take any grain or extra special feed. She just stays around the 1750lb range. Her bull calves are coming at 90 or more pounds and her heifers 85lbs or more. I am not sure if she is going to have a place in the herd for years to come or not. She throws big growthy calves that do very well on grass alone. Last years heifer weaned at 720 this years bull will probably weight a little more then that. She is big enought that she is hard to get into a squeeze chute or down the alley way.

We bred her ai to a low BW bull and we will see how her next calf does. I might just put an egg in her next year and let her raise an et calf.

So to answer your question DOC, no I am not trying to get big BW. i don't think there will be a market for those type of calves. I am moderating my herd, but probably not to the extent that you would. I want my cows around the 1400lb range. They need to maintain condition on grass and hay, maybe a few cubes or a protien bucket occasionally.

Though a 1000-1200lb cow might be the most effecient in lb weaned per body weight, I am not sure that those type of cows give you the performance in their calves that is needed to sell seedstock bulls. I want a lot of performance in my calves, but need to walk a fine line with momma cow weight to get it. Anyone have answer as to where that line is?

Though a 1000-1200lb cow might be the most effecient in lb weaned per body weight, I am not sure that those type of cows give you the performance in their calves that is needed to sell seedstock bulls. I want a lot of performance in my calves, but need to walk a fine line with momma cow weight to get it. Anyone have answer as to where that line is?

I agree, its going to be hard selling bulls out of 1000lb cows.

In my opinion 1200 -1400lb would be the ideal range of weights for reg. hereford cows if you plan to sell bulls. A cow don't need to be tall to weigh in that range, frame 5 -6 is about where the breed needs to be to fit most customers' needs.

oakcreekfarms":6nmr86p3 said:
I agree, I am keeping closer to the 1400lb frame 6 side of that scale

horses for courses, I try and be closer to the frame 5, but wouldn't mind being close to the 1400lbs though.

Out of curiosity, what kind of weaning weights do these heifers have that mature at 1000 lbs?

Thanks

What age is the average in determining mature weight. Anything after 2 yrs? I know a cows weight will go up and down depending on the season, but when should you weigh to get an accurate mature weight measurement?

Latest posts