Some pics of how my Reg. Balancer herd is coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Here are some random pics of one of the two herds just 9 pairs with a young long yearling Black Gelbvieh bull. The cows are all PB Black Angus cept for two, one is PB Black Gelbvieh the other a 50/50 Balancer. Enjoy B&G

:pop:

Nice cattle...........
We are trying to decide what direction to go with our herds. We want to change up breeds of bulls. Since most of our cows are % mostly angus....i'm thinking either black hereford, or maybe Black Gelbvieh..

Are you in SE KS? Your pastures look a lot like our fescue here, a lot different than the ones I've seen in northern KS.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like to see some more condition on your cows -though I realize they're feeding some healthy sized calves at the moment. Between the rest of the summer and fall, those girls need to fatten up a bit before going into winter.

Ever been by the Judd Ranch up by Pomona? By your grass, I'm betting you're about an hour or two from them? One of the nicest, most uniform cowherds I've seen.

cfpinz":1eb42na2 said:
Are you in SE KS? Your pastures look a lot like our fescue here, a lot different than the ones I've seen in northern KS.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like to see some more condition on your cows -though I realize they're feeding some healthy sized calves at the moment. Between the rest of the summer and fall, those girls need to fatten up a bit before going into winter.

Ever been by the Judd Ranch up by Pomona? By your grass, I'm betting you're about an hour or two from them? One of the nicest, most uniform cowherds I've seen.

Judd is about 30 minutes from these cattle I pictured. I agree with your observation about Judd but, did you observe the feed they go through? A good cow on grass/mineral only will put it to her calf. As long as she breeds back and puts her shape back post weaning thats what I want. B&G

Black and Good":3vboc4k9 said:
I agree with your observation about Judd but, did you observe the feed they go through?

I did. Also noticed their frame size, but when I went to their female sale a few years back it seems they've been working on moderating size somewhat.

cfpinz":12wudhis said:
Black and Good":12wudhis said:
I agree with your observation about Judd but, did you observe the feed they go through?

I did. Also noticed their frame size, but when I went to their female sale a few years back it seems they've been working on moderating size somewhat.
What frame size are their cattle. I ask because all I've seen is a few Bulls that have been purchased at their sales. I helped select a bull out of one of these bulls. When we looked at the sire on ankle deep wheat neither him or 2 others from there were very fat. The site was an upper 4 frame. The bull we selected isn't an easy keeper and still not sure if he will have enough frame size. His mother was a frame 6 1,600# cow. The other concern I have is the heifers I saw out the Judd Bulls many didn't have the best tits. Maybe it is the cows they are out of. Curious to hear an opinion from someone who isn't trying to sell progeny of Judd Bulls. We are waiting to buy anymore until we see how this one turns out.

elkwc":303me9la said:
His mother was a frame 6 1,600# cow.

When we were by there 10 or so years ago, that would have been on the small side. But when I was in the area a few years ago and stopped in for the female sale, there were a lot of FS 5's in the sale.

I'm curious to hear how the bull you mentioned turns out, as well as the females. We haven't bought anything from them, as I prefer small frame cows and run fescue pastures - didn't figure it'd be a good fit for us.

cfpinz":1zjct3r1 said:
elkwc":1zjct3r1 said:
His mother was a frame 6 1,600# cow.

When we were by there 10 or so years ago, that would have been on the small side. But when I was in the area a few years ago and stopped in for the female sale, there were a lot of FS 5's in the sale.

I'm curious to hear how the bull you mentioned turns out, as well as the females. We haven't bought anything from them, as I prefer small frame cows and run fescue pastures - didn't figure it'd be a good fit for us.

Friends of ours bought 2 bulls from Judd in March & are very pleased with their condition, EPD's & docility. Unfortunately one of them was struck & killed by lightning about 2 weeks ago.

TCRanch":2xf83bm0 said:
Friends of ours bought 2 bulls from Judd in March & are very pleased with their condition, EPD's & docility. Unfortunately one of them was struck & killed by lightning about 2 weeks ago.

I lost the best gv bull I've ever owned a few years back to lightning, couldn't have hit one of the frigging angus bulls...

I'd love to hear your friends' thoughts after a few calf crops, please keep in touch. Did they buy them for commercial use?

Wouldn't mind to try one of their bulls, figure I could use it terminally if nothing else. Just can't justify the price of admission.

I have mixed opinions about Judd Ranch. But, they are great people. But, l havent had the best luck with their cattle. Over the the years we've bought several cow/heifers & 3 PB bulls 2 reds 1 Black. 1 of the 3 bulls worked out the other 2 were a bad deal to put it lightly. The cows were pretty good for the most part some didn't last some did. They were big girls but tthis was in the 90's. B&G

cfpinz":2da5clhk said:
TCRanch":2da5clhk said:

I lost the best gv bull I've ever owned a few years back to lightning, couldn't have hit one of the frigging angus bulls...

I'd love to hear your friends' thoughts after a few calf crops, please keep in touch. Did they buy them for commercial use?

Wouldn't mind to try one of their bulls, figure I could use it terminally if nothing else. Just can't justify the price of admission.

Commercial. First time they finally splurged on Judd bulls; Mother Nature can be cruel.

Black and Good":creosar3 said:
I have mixed opinions about Judd Ranch. But, they are great people. But, l havent had the best luck with their cattle. Over the the years we've bought several cow/heifers & 3 PB bulls 2 reds 1 Black. 1 of the 3 bulls worked out the other 2 were a bad deal to put it lightly. The cows were pretty good for the most part some didn't last some did. They were big girls but tthis was in the 90's. B&G

What was it with the bulls? My friends named one of them Crap Shoot because he was considerably less $$$ and you typically get what you pay for but so far (all of 5 months) they're pleased. Curious to see what kind of calves he throws.

TCRanch":7ohsoqb9 said:
Black and Good":7ohsoqb9 said:

What was it with the bulls? My friends named one of them Crap Shoot because he was considerably less $$$ and you typically get what you pay for but so far (all of 5 months) they're pleased. Curious to see what kind of calves he throws.[/quot

To put it mildly, one was wild after we got him home. The black one went nuts wild/maneater. Then when he turned two crock screw claw appeared. They wanted to get him trimmed and try and get through the season. But told us not to keep his daughters. Duh? Anyway we took him to get trimmed it took five people and backing the trailer into him to get him loaded back on our trailer. I called them and said he wasn't touching our soil again. Took him straight to sale barn for slaughter. :bang: B&G

Black and Good":1cs4r79d said:
TCRanch":1cs4r79d said:
Black and Good":1cs4r79d said:

What was it with the bulls? My friends named one of them Crap Shoot because he was considerably less $$$ and you typically get what you pay for but so far (all of 5 months) they're pleased. Curious to see what kind of calves he throws.[/quot

To put it mildly, one was wild after we got him home. The black one went nuts wild/maneater. Then when he turned two crock screw claw appeared. They wanted to get him trimmed and try and get through the season. But told us not to keep his daughters. Duh? Anyway we took him to get trimmed it took five people and backing the trailer into him to get him loaded back on our trailer. I called them and said he wasn't touching our soil again. Took him straight to sale barn for slaughter. :bang: B&G
I feel your pain! We've always had good luck with our McCurry bulls, hated to get rid of them EXCEPT one psycho. He seemed fine when we previewed prior to the auction (bought 2) but was wild as soon as we got to the ranch. Kept him a year and he calmed down a bit but I never trusted him, especially after he charged my husband. They were willing to take him back but we sold him to another rancher who was fully aware of his disposition but wanted a good deal on great EPD's. By the way, he threw 2 heifers & I'm keeping one; she's the polar opposite, sweetest thing ever (actually named her Sweetie Pie).

TCRanch":2hjla48w said:
Commercial. First time they finally splurged on Judd bulls; Mother Nature can be cruel.

I buy the majority of my bulls from Knoll Crest here in Virginia, they warranty the full purchase price of your bull for one year, lightning included. One of the nicest families I've ever met.

Either of you KS residents (or anyone else for that matter) bought any bulls from Post Rock?

Latest posts