Sold Today 9/25 Guthrie, KY

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
Sold 9 calves today including my twins Bat & Rob.
A Solid Red Bull 6 1/2 months old at 695 lbs. for a 188.00 per lb. Was Disappointed here a really great dude.
A Purebred Black Simmental Bull with horns 6 months and 1 day old at 615 lbs. for 212.50 per lb.
A Black Bull 6 1/2 months old at 655 lbs. for 214.00 per lb.
A grey or brown bull 7 months old at 580 lbs. for 230.00 per lb.
2 Black Heifers 6 1/2 month and a 7 month at 618 lbs. each for 217.00 per lb.
A Black Stetson Heifer 7 1/2 months old at 520 lbs. for 239.50 per lb.
Lastly my twins 6 months old today. Bat the black one weighed 470 lbs. and went for 275.50 per lb. The red twin Rob weighed 480 lbs. and brought 260.00 per lb. Don't know why he couldn't have been black but anyway there it is.

Nesikep":2eao1iz7 said:
some days the sale barns don't make much sense.

Were all the bulls intact?

Amen!!! I would love to know more about cattle markets. The results can be confounding.

Here is a puzzle I frequently have experienced:

I get just as much from feeders that don't fit the "cattle judging" criteria I see so many CT users get wrapped up in. I understand that a big butt, correct angle to hock, etc. have their place but not in the Stockyard feeder sales. My friend Fire Sweep Ranch has assisted me a great deal in making decisions about what to look for in growing my herd but when I sell a feeder, the ones that are compact with good thickness and depth do not sell for anymore than the tall lanky guys. For example, the two I sold Monday: The one that was built the best by those criteria sold for 3 pennies less that the Casper sired calf that was tall and lanky with a lot of leg.

With even retail ground beef at $4/lb, the spread between well finished good carcasses and slightly lesser finished animals won't be as evident.

Yes all the bull calves were intact. We would use to band all the bull calves but we finally just got to busy to be around often enough to catch them early to band. Then we went numerous years having the vet castrate them, to many problems arose with that infections, bleeding out etc... It also got where feeder bulls were right there neck to neck with steers price per lb. Matter of fact the last time we sold some our bulls they brought more than their steer counterparts. I also think they might grow quicker being intact at least until they begin to chase cows. Now steers are stretching the lead again. I would like to steer some more out the next few years though.

Had a guy tell me that he has a friend that drives for a feeder operation and any bull calf under 500lbs they prefer to be left a bull so that can cut them themselves. I don't know if there's any truth to that, just what he said.

Calhoun Farm":3212dwqv said:
Had a guy tell me that he has a friend that drives for a feeder operation and any bull calf under 500lbs they prefer to be left a bull so that can cut them themselves. I don't know if there's any truth to that, just what he said.

You don't get any of those stagy looking ''one nutters'' when you knife ''cut'' them! :cowboy: You would be amazed at the amount of ''good'' cattle raisers that will not cut the band and redo the job, when they have a nut push up ahead of the band. :bang:

I've had a couple I've missed, but it's a rarity... one in the last 6 years. Some are easy to do right at birth, and others are a PITA even at a month old. It depends a little on if momma is steaming up your arse too. I always release the pliers, then recount, then slip them off from the band, I've found that to be the most reliable way.

Once in a while I get lucky with the tame calves and can do it while they're laying down, without restraining them.. just give them a belly rub and band them, and they're none the wiser for a while, but they'll usually react to the tagger.

Always band 1st tag 2nd.
I have had to cut band off with 1 nut and redo but never let 1 go with 1 nut.
i have give up on a few and wait till a later day to try again.