Sold some yearlings yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
31 yearling steers averaged 787 pounds with an average $231.08 which worked to $1,744 a head. The best 21 sold together as one group weighing 808 each sold for $242. Nearly two grand at $1,956 a head. There was 6 a little lighter that brought $219. The other 4 were just odd balls that didn't fit in either group.These were 350-400 pound calves I bought for $1.80 last November. Adn I was kind of a bottom feeder when I bought them. Not exactly the top of the line calves.

Sold a bunch of steers this week too. Some were contracted in March and the rest sold in the ring.

I did the math on those 21 best steers. Averaged paying $720 each to buy them. Fed $154 worth of hay (grass and a little alfalfa) and $80 a head into cracked corn. For a total of $954 for purchase and feed which are the 2 biggest expenses by far. They sold for $1877 after commission. That leaves $923 which more than enough to pay for vaccinations and fuel.

Dave, those cows you buy do they have any exposure to bulls when up in those hills over summer? I would imagine there would be a few roaming bulls around. Did you have any thoughts of preg testing them and sending any around for a second year especially with the cost of buying again and possible more rises in cattle prices?

Ken

Dave, those cows you buy do they have any exposure to bulls when up in those hills over summer? I would imagine there would be a few roaming bulls around. Did you have any thoughts of preg testing them and sending any around for a second year especially with the cost of buying again and possible more rises in cattle prices?

Ken
We send a sorry bull or two with them just to breed them and settle them down. But I learned a long time ago to just ship them all. The ones I have kept didn't make as much money as the one on the first bus out of town. We schedule a date in mid August at the plant and they all leave.

We send a sorry bull or two with them just to breed them and settle them down. But I learned a long time ago to just ship them all. The ones I have kept didn't make as much money as the one on the first bus out of town. We schedule a date in mid August at the plant and they all leave.
I've seen the same thing with some of my "one n done" projects.
Last couple I had a mind to keep. Been running with the bull. When I sold em they were open. And it dang sure wasn't the bulls fault!
Even selling back at a sale barn, if ya can get the cow bought right, and she does her job raising a calf, that cow will usually bring good money by herself if she's in better shape. And the calf is usually a money make for sure

Latest posts