Sold 4 yesterday.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Sold 3 steers and a heifer yesterday in Lexington KY.
2 steers were 9 months and the other 2, 7 months.
Weaned, two rounds of shots,
The 3 smaller calves were out of a smaller framed heifer bull, the bigger calf out of a little bigger framed calving ease bull and a commercial Simmental cow, that always raises on of the bigger calves.
967224F7-956A-497B-8CCA-94073D104D88.jpeg

Interesting to me to compare the deductions from the check with what I pay in my part of the country.
You had a total of $218.40 divided by four, or $54.60 per head in deductions. That's more than what I normally pay. Is that the normal amount for KY, TN, VA, NC areas?

Interesting to me to compare the deductions from the check with what I pay in my part of the country.
You had a total of $218.40 divided by four, or $54.60 per head in deductions. That's more than what I normally pay. Is that the normal amount for KY, TN, VA, NC areas?
It does seem like quite a bit, but in our area one company owns most markets except for 2 and they are comparable.
There is a considerable discount for groups of 40 or more, and at one other yards 30 head or more total in the ticket.

It is about 3.3% commission. I know sale yards with 3% and others with 4%. So it is the normal range for here. Double whammy on the beef promotion but that is only a buck a head more. Feed here is $3 and yours looks like $3.50. Insurance seems high. I looked at the paper work where I sold 4 calves. The insurance was $0.96 total for 4 calves. But I get charged $1.20 a head for brand inspection

Last edited:
They will, drought up here sending lots of cows to kill now.
Does the Pacific Ocean El Nino have any effect on your weather up there Dave? El Nino for us means drier conditions but my understanding is it is more favourable for rain in the US. So far our bureau has not declared an El Nino as the western Pacific hasn't cooled as it should so we are hoping that spring might not be as bad as has been suggested.

Ken

Watching group after group of ~1000 lbs steers sell between $2.25-$2.40 at this auction in SD right now. I missed getting a picture but one group averaged over $2,400. steer.JPG

What are you normally paying for deductions J+?
The cull cows I sold at West last time were pretty close to that $50 amount. $47 I think. They want the calf business so its a little cheaper.

What are you normally paying for deductions J+?
The cull cows I sold at West last time were pretty close to that $50 amount. $47 I think. They want the calf business so its a little cheaper.
What I sold this year has been a mixture of cull cows and calves. I took them in on the morning of the sale to minimize yardage and feed expenses, etc. The per head total costs came out between $32 and $35. This was at two different sale barns, the most recent load didn't have any cows, all calves.

Sold 3 Angus heifers & 3 Angus steers this last week at Famoso Stockman's Market in Bakersfield, California. Steers were 6 months old & heifers 5-6 months old. All had vaccinations. This is probably the best price that I have ever received, especially for 2 of the Scan_20230821.jpgheifers. The sale prices are a lot higher back East.

El Nino for us means drier conditions but my understanding is it is more favourable for rain in the US.
El Nino is in full effect here and the weather/climate folks are pretty sure it will continue thru winter and into at least next spring. Perhaps even thru next summer (2024) too. If El Nino is supposed to increase the chance of rain in the US, I'd hate to see what it's like without El Nino.

I'm getting REAL antsy to sell my calves. But I feel I'm wasting it if I sell now. They got lots more growing to do on mama. I hate to sell 4 and 5 month old calves

I don't think calf prices are gonna drop significantly tween now and the time I will have them ready to sell. I hope!!!

Latest posts