Sold my Plummer cows' calves .

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Got my check today from selling those calves Saturday. I had gotten these 4 Plummer cows in on a trade 1st of the year. They were all bred to an Ultrablack bull. They calved last of April, 1st of May. 3 steers and a heifer. All solid black and polled, looked like Brangus calves. Heifer was 504 lbs and the steers from 521 to 543. Steers brought $1.87, 1.85 and 1.83. Heifer brought $1.79. They brought a little over $3800.

I was happy with what they brought. I had gotten these cows on a horse trade. I had a pretty decent head horse on consignment. The man wanted $5k for it, which meant I would get $500 for selling it and would give him $4500 when it sold. I had priced the horse to a couple of folks at $7500, and this one boy who is a rodeo judge and a stock contractor wanted it. He had these 4 Plummer cows he wanted $800 a piece for, bred to an Ultrablack. So, I told him he could get the horse for those cows and $4000.....$7200 for the horse. I gave the money and $500 of my own to the horse consigner, and put those cows in the Kudzu pasture with the Corriente herd. We sold the Corr herd and calves 1st of April, before these Plummer cows had calves, but the buyer didn't want the Plummers anyway. We never put the black bulls in because all we hade left were 4 Corr heifers from last year, and we were gonna breed them to our Corr bull any way. We always put the black bulls in at Easter and got them out Memorial Day, to have the Corrs calving in February. Memorial Day when we got them out, we'd put in our Corr bull to catch any that might have missed getting bred by the black bulls. This is where we'd get a handful of Corr calves each year.. keeping any heifers for replacements. Those 4 were all we got in 2021, and none in the 2022 crop. We had put 6 Ultrablack bulls in the herd in 2021, and they got them all! :)

Well while I was in the hospital 1st of May, Scott put the Corr bull in the pasture. He bred my Brahma x Chianina and Brahma x Chi-Angus heifers..damn it.. and also tagged the 4 Plummers. So, I am looking at getting four 1/2 Corr 1/4 Brahma 1/4 Longhorn calves that will have horns next Feb or March. I decided to load them up and carry them to the sale too. I told Scott that if I had to leave before they sold Saturday, to stand up and tell that they were 4-5 months bred to black Corriente bull, and if any didn't bring $500, to tell them to put them in the weigh pen. They were 1500 # cows.

I had my horse on the front of my trailer, and the calves on the back. I was gonna go by Scott's house on the way home and load the Br x Chi-Angus heifer I had sold to someone up here, and drop it off on my way home. Scott had the Plummer cows on his. While I was unloading the calves, I saw someone looking in Scott's trailer and Scott pointed at me, and he came walking over to my rig. He said Scott told him what they were bred to, and when they were due. . He said he supplied bulls for high school rodeo, and wanted bulls less than 1000 lbs, so he thought these calves next year may be just what he needs. Or the bull calves would be. He asked me what I wanted, and I said $750 each..$3k. He said he could pay $600 each, $2400. I said " Make it $2500 and you have a deal". He paid me and got in the truck with Scott, who took the cows to his place for him...about 5 miles away.

So, out of my $500 investment, I ended up with $6300..not bad at all. And ZERO inputs except for 3 bands for the bull calves. All we will have on those 200+ acres will be the 4 Corr heifers and Toro, the Corr bull. We gonna move the dove field over there next year. Scott is gonna put everything across the road, including our current dove field, in row crops next year. There is about 40-50 acres fairly open where we used to have a dove field years ago. so we will plant that. And there is a club of 8 guys that want to lease it for turkey next spring. They wanted a deer lease, too, but that would interfere with quail and rabbit season.

We talked about it, and as good as that Corriente operation has been for us the last 25 years or so, we decided we were too old to try to get out and find another 100+ Corr cows to start over. We just gonna enjoy the rabbit and quail hunting, and Scott and his kids and grandkids do deer hunt it. That running all over the country last year, building that 150 Braford cow herd for my client, is the reason I ended up in the hospital. Or a big part of it. I made nearly $40k from that endeavor, and my half of the Corriente herd was over $45k, but every bit of it has got gone in hospital bills, and I still owe $9700,, which will get that $6300 I made on the Plummers and their calves. Oh well, as they say : easy come...easy go, I guess. So far, I have yet to realize what is so golden about my Golden Years! LOL

I'm glad to hear you made some good money, hate to hear where it all went but at least you had it to put towards the bills.

I'm still recovering from a four year lawyer/courtroom adventure with the mother of my two oldest. Had to rob from retirement, 2nd mortgage a small farm, and borrow from a family member to get through that one. One thing I've learned, you'll never be able to stay ahead of the bills in the courtroom or the hospital bed, so do your best to stay away from both.

Glad the animals did well for ya.

Medical always stinks! Way overrated and always overpriced!

Hope the hunting is fruitful, but your gonna miss them cows...
No, I never miss any cows! I have had some horses I miss, and a couple of dogs, but no cows! LOL Now, I will miss the easy money and nearly-zero work to get it that we enjoyed with the Corriente Kudzu herd. I still have 7 Corr steers that I keep over at my buddy's house, whose arena we rope in. There are 8 of us that rope every week, sometimes 2 nights a week and we all bought a few Corr steers and put them together to make a roping herd of 30 steers. And I am half-owner of the 4 Corr heifers we have down there. And the bull is mine.

I am still doing a little of what I like to do most of all with cattle...buying and SELLING! Just not as much. I had an order for 25 Corriente cows and heifers, solid colored. ( Dunno why he wanted all solid because he is gonna breed them to Brangus bulls). He is paying $600 a head plus shipping. I got them for $350 in Lousiana and they will be delivered to him Saturday.

Only other project I got going on, I just got last night. Buddy of mine has just finished an $8.3 mil commercial building, and is getting a $180k bonus for finishing 3 months ahead of schedule. He wanted to buy as many Brahma cows as he could with that...hoping to get 100. That amount will probably just get him 70-75, though. I told him it is going to take $2500 a head for what he wants.... all grey (he calls them white) and polled. I am not going to mark them up. He is going to just pay me $5k plus expenses to get them for him as cheap as I can, but get top-notch cattle. I almost told him I couldn't do it, because I figured it would take a LOT of time to put that together. But, I made a couple of calls this morning, and a trader friend of mine said he was 80 1st calf heifers for sale in Florida, bred to Hereford and due in February and March. He's going to find out if the place still has them and how much they want for them, and let me know tonight! Then, I have to call my client and talk him into it. He wanted 2nd calf and up cows, because he plans on breeding them to Charolais and Chianina bulls. Then taking those heifers from those crosses and breeding them back the other way... Br x Char to Chianina, and vice versa. He wants to develope his own " Ultra Whites". Pretty ambitious for a 74 yr old man. I am going to tell him that those heifers bred to a Hereford will have little to no trouble calving,( they will be 25 to 26 months old when they calve) and those 80 f1 Brafords will bring a hell of a lot better price than what he is trying to do. Who know, IF we get them and IF he likes the money those calves would bring, maybe he will give up on the "Ultra White" thing and breed them back Hereford each year. Around here at least, any f1Braford cows for sale last maybe a day on the market before someone gets them. I am going to offer and incentive myself for him to get those 80 heifers. I am going to tell him if we buy them this week, and get them delivered, then he just pays me $1600...$20 per head... instead of $5k. Not bad for spending a day and night on the phone and the internet.

I'm glad to hear you made some good money, hate to hear where it all went but at least you had it to put towards the bills.

I'm still recovering from a four year lawyer/courtroom adventure with the mother of my two oldest. Had to rob from retirement, 2nd mortgage a small farm, and borrow from a family member to get through that one. One thing I've learned, you'll never be able to stay ahead of the bills in the courtroom or the hospital bed, so do your best to stay away from both.
Yeah, I had to cash in a deferred comp I had with 1 of my insurance companies ( what was left of it after Biden and the Demtards in Congress wrecked it this last year) , and I have sold my bass boat, all but 2 trailers, all but 3 horses and a mule, all but 1 truck, and my motorcycle since May. I did start a new business though...just got the website up a couple of weeks ago. "Bubba Bigalowe- Redneck Gigolo", but it has been slow getting off the ground. I am running some specials..." Buy one get 10 free" and " 99% off for first time customers", but so far, no takers! :(

No, I never miss any cows! I have had some horses I miss, and a couple of dogs, but no cows! LOL Now, I will miss the easy money and nearly-zero work to get it that we enjoyed with the Corriente Kudzu herd. I still have 7 Corr steers that I keep over at my buddy's house, whose arena we rope in. There are 8 of us that rope every week, sometimes 2 nights a week and we all bought a few Corr steers and put them together to make a roping herd of 30 steers. And I am half-owner of the 4 Corr heifers we have down there. And the bull is mine.

I am still doing a little of what I like to do most of all with cattle...buying and SELLING! Just not as much. I had an order for 25 Corriente cows and heifers, solid colored. ( Dunno why he wanted all solid because he is gonna breed them to Brangus bulls). He is paying $600 a head plus shipping. I got them for $350 in Lousiana and they will be delivered to him Saturday.

Only other project I got going on, I just got last night. Buddy of mine has just finished an $8.3 mil commercial building, and is getting a $180k bonus for finishing 3 months ahead of schedule. He wanted to buy as many Brahma cows as he could with that...hoping to get 100. That amount will probably just get him 70-75, though. I told him it is going to take $2500 a head for what he wants.... all grey (he calls them white) and polled. I am not going to mark them up. He is going to just pay me $5k plus expenses to get them for him as cheap as I can, but get top-notch cattle. I almost told him I couldn't do it, because I figured it would take a LOT of time to put that together. But, I made a couple of calls this morning, and a trader friend of mine said he was 80 1st calf heifers for sale in Florida, bred to Hereford and due in February and March. He's going to find out if the place still has them and how much they want for them, and let me know tonight! Then, I have to call my client and talk him into it. He wanted 2nd calf and up cows, because he plans on breeding them to Charolais and Chianina bulls. Then taking those heifers from those crosses and breeding them back the other way... Br x Char to Chianina, and vice versa. He wants to develope his own " Ultra Whites". Pretty ambitious for a 74 yr old man. I am going to tell him that those heifers bred to a Hereford will have little to no trouble calving,( they will be 25 to 26 months old when they calve) and those 80 f1 Brafords will bring a hell of a lot better price than what he is trying to do. Who know, IF we get them and IF he likes the money those calves would bring, maybe he will give up on the "Ultra White" thing and breed them back Hereford each year. Around here at least, any f1Braford cows for sale last maybe a day on the market before someone gets them. I am going to offer and incentive myself for him to get those 80 heifers. I am going to tell him if we buy them this week, and get them delivered, then he just pays me $1600...$20 per head... instead of $5k. Not bad for spending a day and night on the phone and the internet.
Ya don't miss specific cows... just cows in general. The knowing you'll be unlikely to ever have a pasture full is hard.

35 of em, some are pairs at Ft Smith Monday the 7th.....

Ya might just make 100!

I hear you on that one. I had to rob my retirement account to keep my duplex in Colorado afloat during the divorce. Had to giver her half of that thing when it sold, she didn't deserve it, but she still got it. Things like divorce almost make me afraid of getting married again.

I hear you on that one. I had to rob my retirement account to keep my duplex in Colorado afloat during the divorce. Had to giver her half of that thing when it sold, she didn't deserve it, but she still got it. Things like divorce almost make me afraid of getting married again.
There are 5 things I have done once in my life, and never will again..EVER!!! I am a fast learner. I have jumped out of one airplane, rode one bull, had one root canal, one marriage and one divorce. I was married 20 years, and I got to thinking one day " If I had murdered someone I would be out of prison by now" LOL The divorce was 100% my fault, but it was still hell. This year was 20 years since the divorce, and she still hasn't even dated anyone else...it about killed her. And I feel bad about it every day of my life. I gave her a lot more than she asked for in the settlement, trying to make it right I guess.
A root canal is what they should do to people in lieu of sending them to prison. To start with noc vacain or any other kind of cain has no effev ct on me, especially on the bottom teeth. I have had all of my filllings, and a vasectomy, with no deadening at all. 5 tries to drag al lof the roots out, and finally he sent me to get a panoramic x-ray at an oral surgeon's. Turns out I had one more root than that tooth was supposed to have. 6th time he got it, but he quit doing root canals after that. Said it about killed him, too!
The parachuting and bull riding are both kinda funny stories. . I might post them in Coffee Shop Daily Chuckle or something.

Had to look up the term plummer cattle . Interesting, I didn't know there was a breed . Always thought they chose bucking bulls from any stock with bad attitudes . Congrats on the paycheck !

I am wondering what Plummer cattle are and also Ultrablack bulls. I'm in the north and never heard of them.

Congratulations on your Successful horse trade. I love trading horses, have done a lot of it, but too old now. Yours sounded more complicated than the horse trading we did but it worked for you and that's the main thing.

I am wondering what Plummer cattle are and also Ultrablack bulls. I'm in the north and never heard of them.

Congratulations on your Successful horse trade. I love trading horses, have done a lot of it, but too old now. Yours sounded more complicated than the horse trading we did but it worked for you and that's the main thing.
Ultra blacks are an Angus and Brangus cross, registered with the Brangus Association. Plummers are a Brahma/ Longhorn cross. Before the 70's bucking bulls were of all breeds...whatever rank bulls there were that you couldn't handle other wise were used. So you were right, @coachg In the 70's, a man named Plummer started breeding specifically for bucking qualities, using LH and Brahmas. And started keeping records. Kinda like people call all resonating guitars a Dobro, or all refridgerators a Frigidaire... most rodeo people call all Br x LHs...Plummers. Today's bucking stock has a lot of Charolais influence. Charolais increased the athleticism in rodeo stock, especially in adding height to the jumps and bucks. I had a client in the late 90's/early 2000's that developed a 3-way composite of LH, Brahma and Chianina. Used to see the occassional Holstein bull in the chutes, too. Still will once in a blue moon.

Ultra blacks are an Angus and Brangus cross, registered with the Brangus Association. Plummers are a Brahma/ Longhorn cross. Before the 70's bucking bulls were of all breeds...whatever rank bulls there were that you couldn't handle other wise were used. So you were right, @coachg In the 70's, a man named Plummer started breeding specifically for bucking qualities, using LH and Brahmas. And started keeping records. Kinda like people call all resonating guitars a Dobro, or all refridgerators a Frigidaire... most rodeo people call all Br x LHs...Plummers. Today's bucking stock has a lot of Charolais influence. Charolais increased the athleticism in rodeo stock, especially in adding height to the jumps and bucks. I had a client in the late 90's/early 2000's that developed a 3-way composite of LH, Brahma and Chianina. Used to see the occassional Holstein bull in the chutes, too. Still will once in a blue moon.
Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe we should start a thread on here called "Hoss Tradin'."😁

Don't do it without an ironclad prenup.

Latest posts