Solare (sp??) cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We got two new cows in our teaching barn this semester. They are beef cows, and are black with white on the end of their tails, and some small white bits elsewhere (I recall some on the belly, and possibly on the legs).

I assumed they were holstien/angus, but they looked quite thick, too beefy to be a dairy cross.

Then I was told they were Solare cows (I have no idea if I spelled that right!!) and I have never heard of this breed, nor can I find any information about it on the internet. I will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow if I remember my camera, but in the meantime, has anyone heard of this breed?

TCFC

I am thinking that they are Saler cattle. I have a 'neighbor' who has quite a few of them (she just owns them, if you know what I mean) and calls them 'Solares'. If what you are referring to is indeed Saler cattle, I believe their original color was red, but like so many other breeds have turned many of them black. I believe they were/are a breed of French origin.

Katherine

Yeah, I thought maybe they meant Saler too, but I have always seen red Salers. I will look and see if I can find pictures of black Salers, maybe that's what they are!

Thanks a lot!

TCFC

TCFC":1s95klw1 said:
Yeah, I thought maybe they meant Saler too, but I have always seen red Salers. I will look and see if I can find pictures of black Salers, maybe that's what they are!

My neighbor has a few red ones, the rest are black.

Thanks a lot!

You're welcome.

TCFC

Katherine

just for the record guys,salers in their true fullblooded form as imported from france;actually do come either red or black (just like black and red angus.

just for the record guys,salers in their true fullblooded form as imported from france;actually do come either red or black (just like black and red angus.

fgw":19nz7cqv said:

From http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

"Salers cattle are typically horned and dark mahogany red in color, however a growing number of polled and black Salers are available. The availability of polled genetics in addition to both red and black, gives Salers the advantage of breeding program flexibility."

dun,

Since Doc said they are predominately red and horned with a growing number of blacks being registered, do you think that is most likely cross with Angus?

preston39":owqeajwf said:
dun,

Since Doc said they are predominately red and horned with a growing number of blacks being registered, do you think that is most likely cross with Angus?

Probably. That's the most common way to turn beef breeds black

dun

iowahawkeyes":d3on6vry said:
Do Salers have white spots on them? Not the ones I've seen.

sounds like some beef friesians i have seen. many of these had some white around their feet.

i've seen both black and red Salers. Mostly red here. They were a bit of a fad for a while but their numbers have dropped off somewhat here in Australia. There still is a few very good promoters of them especially down south,they have figured well in results at Melbourne Royal over the past few years,these have mainly been black.They apparently are very easy calvers and cross quite well with most breeds.
Colin :D

if they are alittle crazy they most likely are Salers. We fed a bunch one year and they did pretty good if you could keep them from ruining your fences while working, or keep them off of you!

http://dlbbroker.com/sires/siredirectory.htm lets try it again; A fullblood salers can be either horned or polled; red or black. i'm not talking about the purebreds (bred ups) as most breeds have; but an animal thats parentage top and bottom can be traced back to france. Dun; i don't know why Oklahoma U. doesn't have the correct info. So would someone please check this link and click on sire directory and the bull ROYAL FLUSH. its either a bad pic or not much bull; but its the first one I came upon to make the pt. We have raised salers and angus for almost 20 yrs; and personally as far as disposition i'll take the salers over the angus anyday. just hthe opinion of someone who actually has them.

cowboyup216":33buhzgw said:
If he were truely fullblood french genetics he would not be allowed to be registered with the ASA as far as I know.

Need I say more?
You are incorrect. There are several french imports registered with the ASA and some are black fullbloods.

Sorry but the original French Salers were and are red and oh yeah, they had, have horns. Like almost every beef breed in America, they are now popping up black and polled. There's something about living in the good old US of A that seems to turn these many breeds of cattle in hornless, black animals. The mystery has yet to be solved. You know, if you want to call them black ( insert breed name)____________, at lease acknowledge that they were bred up from black genetics, usually Angus. I don't breed them so I could care less, but has everyone gone to sleep?

Sounds like salers. the white on switch is a breed trait. The white on legs and hips probably from being caked with tag then freezing. Have seen it doing sale cattle.

Rustler9":76edpgm5 said:
Sorry but the original French Salers were and are red and oh yeah, they had, have horns. Like almost every beef breed in America, they are now popping up black and polled. There's something about living in the good old US of A that seems to turn these many breeds of cattle in hornless, black animals. The mystery has yet to be solved. You know, if you want to call them black ( insert breed name)____________, at lease acknowledge that they were bred up from black genetics, usually Angus. I don't breed them so I could care less, but has everyone gone to sleep?
Roger, I have friends that imported black fullblood salers to the U.S.

As long as they are imported, they are considered FULLBLOODS.

It makes no difference that the French used Angus to make them black.

A similar sort of deal nearly bankrupted the Simmental Association a dozen years back.

The are simply Salers/Angus bulls, but since they are imported, they are called Fullbloods.

Badlands

Latest posts