Software Program

Help Support CattleToday:

MOFarmer2013

Reaction score
What is the best software program for book keeping and accounting purposes for cattle? I wanted to know what everyone else uses.

Excel spreadsheet on cattle.

Expenditures are logged the old fashion way. Mileage is logged too.

MOFarmer2013":hpc5lg6z said:
What is the best software program for book keeping and accounting purposes for cattle? I wanted to know what everyone else uses.
For simple accounting Quicken or Quick Books is more than adequate.

I use Quick Books for the accounting of the entire farm. I also have Cattle Works so that I can keep information and assign dollar values to specific animals.

MOFarmer2013":2q84l0d1 said:
For bookkeeping and accounting.....Quicken (since DOS 6.0). For cattle records I use CattleMaxCS. Started using that about 11 years ago.

I do all of the accounting on quickbooks. My own cows are on a spreadsheet with catagories that I make up for myself and they'll vary with the seasons. If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty get dairy comp. Most of it will be wasted on a beef herd but you can micromanage stuff like your breeding program with it and really compare events historicly.

Caustic Burno":hwlogyn1 said:
I am still using a No 2 pencil and a ledger book.
Thats fact jack.

If you spread that cost across the herd, what does it wind up costing you per cow?? LOL

backhoeboogie":t9kihgpf said:
Caustic Burno":t9kihgpf said:
Thats fact jack.

If you spread that cost across the herd, what does it wind up costing you per cow?? LOL
I expected upi to ask "what it penciled out to"

Caustic Burno":wuii17xc said:
Thats fact jack.
And a dozen little spiral notebooks strewn all over the truck Dashboard, console, cracks between the seats and overall bib.

When it comes to the accounting, Quickbooks is by far the most popular, Their is also Peachtree. If you are looking for something that is opensource (FREE) then take a look at Gnucash.

When it comes to keeping record on the cows, while some of the programs are pretty good, we are in the process of writing a new program that will be able to do more and easier to use than any other program that is currently available. It is definitely a value-added herd management system like no other. We are trying to get it finished and the projected date that hopefully it could be available is the last half of March this year.

backhoeboogie":3iiavpir said:
Caustic Burno":3iiavpir said:
Thats fact jack.

Not quite sure yet as I have a year left in the ledger book left.
I just copied the pages for 2013 and mailed them to my CPA this morning.
So I am going to have pencil the postage in as well.

I keep the records in Excel and just send it all to the CPA for the book keeping magic

Latest posts