Softening a Lariat

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
Hi there,

My aunt bought me a lariat a while ago (sometime after christmas), and it is quite stiff. I can still use it just fine, but it wouldn't kill to be a bit softer. Is there anything you can do to help work in a stiff lariat or are they stuck that way, it seems to have softened up some with use, but is there anything you can do to speed up the process, if any.

Thanks a million,

Steph

Leave it outside in the rain a little while then let it get dusty. Run over it a few times with the truck and just before it gets worn out it will be perfect. Course at this time you gotta start working on a new one. I don't rope unless I have to but I have a rope just like that.

Yep, Bama's right. Dunk it in the tank, drop your dally and let the calf drag it thru the corall. Then, get one of those rope cleaners from national roper's supply and run it thru that. Bout 2 times and you are good to go.
A good long ranch rope is good to have too.

good advice here all the way around. what you want to do is abuse it to where its about 2/3 worn out and then take care of it like it had to last you the rest of your life. kind of like a baseball glove. execpt you want to use a baseball glove every chance you get but if you go looking for excuses to use your rope your a glutton for punishment

I am wondering if the stiffness has anything to do with the loop releasing easier once there is some slack in the rope? Seems on new ropes, if theres any slack at all, the loop wants to push away from the rope and loosen up very quickly. Whereas, on a soft rope, the rope would stay tighter even with some slack in it.

I don;t mind the loop being real stiff, it's that it has a tendancy to want to stay slightly coiled when I toss it, ha ha ha, which gives me a spring back effect (super annoying!) I'll try the tips given ;)

TCFC

Different companies may have specific suggestions for breaking in a particular rope. May call the maker and ask.
I suggest that you not wet it, but do drag it in the dirt off your saddle if you have a horse or some equivalent contraption, stretch it to take some of the 'spring' out.

Latest posts