So I had another one of them great ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks wbvs58. It's a Sunday afternoons kind of project, so progress will be a little slow, but I'll post pics as it comes together.

Nesikep, the big boat is 5086, which is a marine grade alloy. I'd bet that 5052 is probably the alloy you used on your bumper.

Nesikep":2thrkbcj said:
Nice work! what grade of aluminum is it?

I built my front bumper out of 3/16th 5252 (or was it 5454?)... Friend of mine MIG'd it.. found out after trying it out on a piece of scrap I made a nicer weld than he did... took me 5 hours of grinding to get it fixed up.. then again it took 3 months of drafting before I was happy with it... paid off though, looks good, lightweight, and darned strong

I had it CNC plasma cut, and left hinge points everywhere I could rather than complete cuts.. made it far easier to put together and I didn't have to use a brake to bend it just right

Bumper turned out nice. Have you tested it on anything yet?

Nesikep":3nyt2uy7 said:
Nice work! what grade of aluminum is it?

I built my front bumper out of 3/16th 5252 (or was it 5454?)... Friend of mine MIG'd it.. found out after trying it out on a piece of scrap I made a nicer weld than he did... took me 5 hours of grinding to get it fixed up.. then again it took 3 months of drafting before I was happy with it... paid off though, looks good, lightweight, and darned strong

I had it CNC plasma cut, and left hinge points everywhere I could rather than complete cuts.. made it far easier to put together and I didn't have to use a brake to bend it just right

Looks good. Kind of resembles a 4th gen bumper.

Farm Fence Solutions":3mgw0hb5 said:
Thanks wbvs58. It's a Sunday afternoons kind of project, so progress will be a little slow, but I'll post pics as it comes together.

Nesikep, the big boat is 5086, which is a marine grade alloy. I'd bet that 5052 is probably the alloy you used on your bumper.
yeah, that could be too.. I know it's a fairly corrosion resistant and impact resistant alloy often used for dump truck boxes

thankfully I haven't had to test it out.. but it has a lot of crossbracing in behind it