Snow melt, flooding... ISO Kayak.

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Snow was melting at a rapid pace yesterday. My basement started taking on water. We have French drains but hard to drain when those pipes are frozen. I was busy diverting water from many areas yesterday as opposed to going to look at new heifers.

Noticed last night, my basement wall is bowing slightly and has a crack along it. Ditches were already flooding last night from the snow melt. Roads are flooded today. I don't know that my son will make it home from school, my husband made him come home and he had to turn around and try another route.

My commute to work this morning was hairy, with heavy fog and torrential rain (3+ inches). Tonight, blizzard conditions with 60MPH winds.

Nebraska is getting nailed. I work for a number of Offices within a 50 mile radius. I may get to the closest one from home and sleep there tonight.

I haven't smoked yet but took a lot of hard blows last night and I am itching for one!

We've had a weather morning with winds as high as 78 mph and another round of hard fast rain. Blew over several trees in the pasture and limbs from other trees all over the place. Lucky on damage as it appears the only real damage to us is the tv antenna pole bent at the house bracket so now I get to look at the antenna out of my office window.

Went to the farm to check animals as I have a heifer a few days over due and can't really tell anything for sure. With field glasses I can see she's dirty on the tail end but her belly still looks full. Big tight bag and swollen, but it's way to muddy to get anything out there to check better.

slick4591 said:
We've had a weather morning with winds as high as 78 mph and another round of hard fast rain. Blew over several trees in the pasture and limbs from other trees all over the place. Lucky on damage as it appears the only real damage to us is the tv antenna pole bent at the house bracket so now I get to look at the antenna out of my office window.

Went to the farm to check animals as I have a heifer a few days over due and can't really tell anything for sure. With field glasses I can see she's dirty on the tail end but her belly still looks full. Big tight bag and swollen, but it's way to muddy to get anything out there to check better.

You live in Farmersville? I use to live there. And ran the Southern Junction in Royse City for a few years. Small world.

Hope it gets better! I know in talking with a lot of TX friends, lots of moisture. I remember the summer of 2011 (in Farmersville), I could stick my entire leg in the ground between cracks.

NEFarmwife said:
You live in Farmersville? I use to live there. And ran the Southern Junction in Royse City for a few years. Small world.

Hope it gets better! I know in talking with a lot of TX friends, lots of moisture. I remember the summer of 2011 (in Farmersville), I could stick my entire leg in the ground between cracks.

Certainly is! I've eaten a few steaks and had a few refreshments at SJ. I've lived in the area since 1971 and on the north edge of town for almost 20 years. Graduated at Blue Ridge.

It ain't pretty. Pouring here now. Active radar shows that big CCW swirling mess up north of the panhandle and into Kansas to look just like a hurricane does on radar.

I wish my FB was working so I could link pics and videos but guys... it's not good here.

People have lost a LOT of cattle. Sheriff reported them floating rivers. We are on higher ground but I needed help getting home earlier. There are cattle stuck in trees and dams are breaking.

We got our cattle near the creek to higher ground just in time. Opening them to pasture now cuz more rain is coming.

It's very emotional. God Bless everyone in this crap right now!

Red Bull Breeder said:
I talked to Ken this morning all is well at his place. He thought you might be right about the president calves.

Glad he is fine. Our roads are starting to open. Still don't have access out of here but have a lot going on so it's irrelevant anyhow.

Lost a calf this morning (3 day old)... nearly drowned in mud. We picked it up, took to barn, and it died right there. It had been so entrenched in mud, we wonder if it got laid on.

The President calves, I have a video of that yesterday. I'm hearing whispers of over 40 head but I'd about imagine that there are more from that operation. I passed them on my way home and saw them out working hard to do what they could but I had to get home and save our own.

Fortunately, we have good high ground. If we'd have flooded, the whole state of Nebraska would be gone (slight sarcasm).

Red Bull Breeder said:
Glad you have only lost the one calf. Sorry hear your neighbors may have took a pretty heavy hit. Hope it dries up for you all soon.

Over half the herd! Why they didn't move them as early as Sunday when people were offering to help, is beyond me.

People are starting to believe some nefarious things coming from there.

ALACOWMAN said:
NEFarmwife said:
ALACOWMAN said:
https://www.facebook.com/100003828307773/posts/1482914808512782?sfns=mo

Wow! Now that's a situation!
In the future, gonna ask the Lord to help me not too complain..after seeing y'alls and the western situation ....

It's very cumbersome. We're able to get a little further today and I'm assisting locals with photos, as the federal disaster stuff is asking for time stamped photos of livestock deaths. Not sure what folks will do for cows that have been swept away.

Just received call from neighbor about hoisting his calf up from a bank. It's alive! But 40ft down.

I was wide awake last night till around 3:30, with tears rolling down my cheeks. Not for our losses (they're minimal) but for those who've lost so much. Pictures do not provide the gravity of emotion that a roaring, raging river does to your heart. I nearly vomited, it made me so queesy.

Latest posts