Snakes, their crawling and watch where your stepping.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":azi5pz7h said:
TexasBred":azi5pz7h said:
I see nothing irrational about killing snakes, spiders, wasps or anything else than might harm me. The next person might be one of my grandkids and not see them.

Has she been reincarnated with a lower IQ?
This very well could be "Frankie" reincarnated. Jump higher, shyt farther, fart louder than anyone else. Cowgirl....you do it your way...the property is yours, but is "sensible" folks are going to not only defend our yard but any other territory we happen to be in. Snakes do not have territory. They come into my territory. I see them first they are dead. Not next time but immediately !!! Same for wasp, spiders, anything else that might harm me and/or my family. Absolutely accidents happen on farms and ranches and people are hurt and sometimes die. If I have my way it will never be as a result of a snake bite, an allergic reaction to a wasp stink or a black widow bite. Keep that shovel strapped to that Honda. I'll keep my gun in my Mule along with a can of Wasp/Hornet spray or a gallon of gasoline for bumblebees and yellow jackets in the ground. Watch out for those Africanized bees as well. They do not make "pets" and a dead body might lay around a long time in 2800 acres before it was found (if the hogs don't find it first). Carry on.

Cowgirl,

The one problem with your supreme logic is that it fails to account for the fact that perhaps there is a higher incident of injury with cattle than with snakes precisely because people do fear snakes and respond with force to them. I doubt many cattle would injure people if they were shot on sight with a rifle, but then again, that may not be . . . what's the word I'm looking for . . . logical?

They are crawling. We must w makin a difference because we haven't seen a 6 ft plus in a few years. This one I just got driving up the road to the house. Took 14 rounds to hit him 3 times hole standing with one foot on the brake, on on the running board so he couldn't bite me, and leaning out and over the open drivers do because he was right at my wheel. They are harder to hit than most think.

They are crawling. We must w makin a difference because we haven't seen a 6 ft plus in a few years. This one I just got driving up the road to the house. Took 14 rounds to hit him 3 times hole standing with one foot on the brake, on on the running board so he couldn't bite me, and leaning out and over the open drivers do because he was right at my wheel. They are harder to hit than most think.

cowgirl8":vz2sf30m said:
You have a computer in front of you, look at stats on injuries and deaths....Here is why its irrational. We, supposedly most of us, live a farm life. Now, look at how many deaths each year are caused by snakes, and how many are caused by accidents on the farm. Now, why is it you will enter a pen full of cows with just a stick, maybe even nothing. Yet, when you go somewhere you 'may' see a snake, you carry a shotgun? Its just not logical. Its all how you look at things. Hey, look at car accidents, i bet you've been in a vehicle today, yet, it kills more people than snakes any day. A snake is nothing..........Its not me with the low IQ.

Exactly! I just want to narrow the possibilities of being a statistic.

I haven't been snake bit yet, but I tore a knee up getting away from rattle snakes in middle school. Bout stepped on two when my body took off with my brain trying to figure out what was happening. Luckily it was cool enough outside that one missed me when it struck.

That was enough to forever secure my fear as legitimate. It originated as about a 5 year old. A black snake dropped down from the door way of a chicken house to hiss in my face eye to eye. It then chased me about 50 feet as I ran yelling for help. I can still picture that thing trying to bite the handle of the shovel without a body.

I have natural reflexes that just react. Wouldn't intend to run anyone over or hurt them, but I don't have a doubt it would happen if they got in my way.

Hook":oihm8naa said:

Wow. That is a nice snake. Like when you are hunting you never see a thing, then when you are out casual, game is everywhere. Same with snakes. When I was working with snakes and needed to find them, it was dang near impossible, but if you are walking up the road in front of your house, there they are.

Maybe there are more snakes down south where these pictures are coming from but you better plan a lot of time if you are out to find a timber rattlesnake in KY.

How I see it snakes eat eggs and rabbits, and I like hunting birds and rabbits therefore I kill the darn snakes to try and help save nests. Also if they are poisonous they're an enemy to me because they can kill me so I kill them first. I don't go looking for them but if I see them, I'll find a way to kill them. I'll leave chicken snakes alone most of the time because they'll help kill the Copper Heads.

I was driving down a woods road last fall and saw a rabbit sitting in the middle of the road looking kind of sick. I stopped maybe 30 or 40 feet away and noticed a large rattlesnake stretched out in the road a few feet away. He was waiting on the rabbit to die. It took several minutes until the rabbit's head layed over. The rattlesnake quickly maneuvered around and started swallowing the full grown rabbit.

I ran a set of pairs up in the alley last year right over the top of a five foot rattler with fourteen rattles. Luckily he had just started to swallow a young cottontail. He was right up in the end of the alley where I had cows pushed up so I grabbed the shotgun out of the truck and rode back in and shot him straight down from horseback with cattle bunched all around...It's good to have a broke horse sometimes. ;-)

Hook, I keep my first shot a snake shot and then 4 critical defense rounds. And yes it's hard to hit a snake shooting down at it with a pistol. I have to hold the sights under the nasty varmit. That's a great picture GP.

highgrit":3v5zc3z8 said:
That's a great picture GP.
Thanks, it would have been better if I'd had my camera with me. My camera is almost always in my truck but I was showing some trees that needed thinning of my brother's to a timber man and we were in the timber man's truck. He took the pic with his iphone and sent it to me.

I hate snakes, no I really hate snakes, We have mostly Prairie Rattlers here and I kill every one I see period, also have racers, bull snakes, garden snakes and some adders and will leave them be if they don't scare me !! TexasBred my 3 year old grandson was bit in the for arm last year in our yard with his dad close by and the dam snake got away before he found it, went to our hospital only good thing it was a dry bite so he was lucky !!! 101

cowgirl8":202ji2n7 said:
Its irrational because they have no arms or legs. The only way they can get you is you have to go to them or be careless when you stick your hand into something. So is the fear of spiders.
Rational has absolutely nothing to do with it. I kill everyone I can--don't care what kind it is.
I don't need a rational reason. I detest them and that is reason enough.
You talk like a person that is going to wake up one day at the bottom of that hole you are digging.
Being childish and female will only protect you so far. Some people do not find this funny at all.
I really don't like you. :mad:

Latest posts