Snakes, their crawling and watch where your stepping.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score

Just finished planting some corn and was taking a break when this one came by. This is why I carry a pistol when ever I leave the house. This is my second diamond back so far, and I've also killed one timber rattler also.

Hg Please keep those down there. I hope you wear snake boots all the time or the chaps if not you need to get some.
btw I carry my .357 with snake snot and im thinking about getting a judge we have a lot of water moccasin and copperheads here.

The wonderful state of florida mandated urban growth boundries. Yup, we are in it. County outright lied to our faces with all the meetimgs of what our overlay would be. Houses in front of our area, larger lots going back. Our area would change from 5 acre min. To 2.5. Naaaa, developers are scrapimg ground like crazy and planting houses. Should take a while before it gets near here, but my close neighbors don't want to sell. Meanwhile, the county is having meetings (far from here and funky hours) about a hugh mixed use development behind us. I hear the clearing going on almost daily. Needless to say I am keeping my lawn scalped and reinforecing to the little on to stay clear of bushes. 2 rattlers have been dispatched down the road. Saw a fox yesterday. Bobcats are tje neighbors past time. Coyotes have already been thinned out. Waiting on the gators to mosey on in, and mosey on out. I think it is even pissing off the regular black snakes. One has been agressive around the back yard. While using the push mower today it came across the pasture at me head high and striking as it was going. This black snake is now in snake heaven. Please disregard typos, phone not behaving tonight.

highgrit":2kb44ts1 said:

Just finished planting some corn and was taking a break when this one came by. This is why I carry a pistol when ever I leave the house. This is my second diamond back so far, and I've also killed one timber rattler also.

Same here I got on top of a 3 ft timber rattler a couple days ago that grew to 50 feet in a split second.
Shot him twice for scaring the crap out of me.

Highgrit,
That is a nice specimen. Rattlesnakes are fascinating. The rattle is one of the most unique anatomical structures in the animal Kingdom. If you are a creationist, you got to wonder what the divine master was thinking about. If you are a Pagan, it is a masterpiece of evolution.

Howard K. Gloyd is to Rattlesnakes what Hank Williams is to country music. He wrote the book, "The Rattlesnakes, Genera Sistrurus and Crotalus, A Study in Zoogeography and Evolution." An intersting discussion on the origins of the rattle!

inyati13":12t7ts31 said:
Highgrit,
That is a nice specimen. Rattlesnakes are fascinating. The rattle is one of the most unique anatomical structures in the animal Kingdom. If you are a creationist, you got to wonder what the divine master was thinking about. If you are a Pagan, it is a masterpiece of evolution.

Howard K. Gloyd is to Rattlesnakes what Hank Williams is to country music. He wrote the book, "The Rattlesnakes, Genera Sistrurus and Crotalus, A Study in Zoogeography and Evolution." An intersting discussion on the origins of the rattle!
I don't worry about that anymore than I spend time wondering why cows have 4 teats and goats only 2. I figure God knows why he does things the way he does.

OK fellas!!

Enough of the before pictures how about some pics of these little critters without their heads!

M5farm,
That's the one I'm afraid of because they will not get out of your way! If you're fishing or hunting the main river channel or the creeks that run in to the river you have to keep your eyes open for those cottonmouths.
We have some rattlesnakes but not as many as the cottonmouths and copperheads.

3waycross":cbywndd4 said:
OK fellas!!

Enough of the before pictures how about some pics of these little critters without their heads!

I did decapitate this one. I was very precarious between my wife screaming and the snake striking at me cause all I could use was a machete. we were at our local boat landing and parking lot was full of vehicles and I was afraid of ricochet bullet on the curbing.

I haven't seen a rattler since December. Been expecting to though, they're pretty active this time of year.

I see a snake, i see a whole lot of entertainment..Never tell me you're afraid of snakes, its for your own good.. :nod: I've never understood the fear of snakes. They have no arms or legs, if you want bit you have to either stick your hand into something you didnt look into first, or step on one.
I have a whole bowl full of rattles. We have timber rattlers here. We have more cotton mouths and copper heads. But, in the woods you'll find timber rattlers sometimes almost 6 feet long. Got my rattles from snakes that have been run over.
I wouldnt want the amount of rattlers south and west texas has, if you have animals they are a big problem. Our animals get snake bit occasionally, but usually recover. But not if they get bit by a rattler, thats another story..

Just a rat snake, but the person i was with was terrified.. :lol2:

cowgirl8":1kt9y29g said:
Caustic Burno":1kt9y29g said:
Want to play with me and a timber rattler is involved better be wearing a bullet proof vest.
:lol2:

I am dead serious bring six friends when you decide to play one of those jokes.
Was with my cousin when one hit the dog then him.
Dog died and he dam near did, I watched a 14 year old boys leg dam near rot off.
That leg is still messed up today. I have lost 4 good squirrel dogs through the years to the demon's.
If they went the way of the Ivory billed wood pecker or dinosaur would be a good thing,
I never missed the first two and wouldn't miss the third.

Caustic Burno":2pnar05v said:
cowgirl8":2pnar05v said:
Caustic Burno":2pnar05v said:
Want to play with me and a timber rattler is involved better be wearing a bullet proof vest.
:lol2:

I am dead serious bring six friends when you decide to play one of those jokes.
Was with my cousin when one hit the dog then him.
Dog died and he dam near did, I watched a 14 year old boys leg dam near rot off.
That leg is still messed up today. I have lost 4 good squirrel dogs through the years to the demon's.
If they went the way of the Ivory billed wood pecker or dinosaur would be a good thing,
I never missed the first two and wouldn't miss the third.
I'd never use a live snake, they usually have no head so no chance of anyone getting hurt by the snake. You can get just as much entertainment out of a snake with no head. It doesnt matter live or dead to anyone with an irrational fear of snakes.. ;-) :lol2:

Latest posts