Snakes, their crawling and watch where your stepping.

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl":3caql2dx said:
So you have the sociopath mentality. :nod: :nod:
Thanks for letting us all know. For sure.
I don't like snakes either!
Just curious though, why is cowgirl considered to have a "sociopath mentality" for joking around with snakes, but not a word said to highgrit for breaking off their fangs and wiring their mouth shut? Nothing against anyone, just wondering......
I don't like that either.

I hear ya Jed...we killed a big rattler one year and my buddy put the meat in a big zip lock. Looked nice and tidy like some fish but there was no way I was going to eat it ever! I finally pitched it. I'll eat just about anything but I ain't eating a snake....

The Bible tells me I don't have to like snakes(kinda hints around about women that hang out with them to). I'm not a blind follower but that's good enough for me. :lol:

My daughters great grandma, (on her dads side) opened her dresser drawer with a rattler in it one time! It crawled in there on it's own. I would have messed my pants for sure! :shock:

When my daughter was little, she liked all the snakes, frogs and bugs she found. She had this little racer snake that she begged me to let her keep in the house. I finally gave in and let her put it in an aquarium. The next morning the darn thing was gone! :shock: When she finally found it and tried to catch it again, it was hissing and striking at her. From then on, no more snakes in the house!

I shot 6 cotton mouths on Saturday. First time I have seen that many in my ponds. They are logging out the swamp behind my place and driving them out. I saw a whopper last Sunday. About 5 ft and as big around as my wrist. No shot. I will get him. Just a matter of time. I have been using a 12 gauge with a turkey choke stoked with 7.5 shot. Works great.

HOSS":13f1ao34 said:
I shot 6 cotton mouths on Saturday. First time I have seen that many in my ponds. They are logging out the swamp behind my place and driving them out. I saw a whopper last Sunday. About 5 ft and as big around as my wrist. No shot. I will get him. Just a matter of time. I have been using a 12 gauge with a turkey choke stoked with 7.5 shot. Works great.
Dang! How do you guys keep your animals and kids from getting bit!?
You have to watch your EVERY move with those things around!

HOSS":2p9prp24 said:

Whattsa matter. Ten gauge broken? :nod:

denvermartinfarms":1vbcwywi said:
Bez__":1vbcwywi said:
We have the cold - it kills off most of the bad things

Bez__
That would be a great thing about where you are!

No poison snakes here. Pretty much only Gardner snakes and a rare bull snake once in a blue moon. But I still take a big step when I realize I am about to step on one.

Years ago I was working in the woods. A young guy from the Southeast got hired on to set chokers behind a cat. The cat skinner backed in the cat for a turn of logs. This young guy poked around with a stick for a while and finally set the chokers. Same thing on the next turn. Finally the cat skinner gets tired of watching and jumps off and goes to setting the chokers. The kid tackles him and says, "you trying to get snake bit". It took us half the day to convince this guy that there weren't any snakes to worry about.

branguscowgirl":2dj2fsk6 said:
HOSS":2dj2fsk6 said:
Dang! How do you guys keep your animals and kids from getting bit!?
You have to watch your EVERY move with those things around!

The snakes are afraid of the cows. They don't want to get stepped on. The best time to shoot the snakes are when the cows come to water. The snakes out of the weeds on the bank and make a bee-line for the island in the middle of the pond. That is where the 12 gauge comes in handy.

I have never had an infestation like this year. Usually I have them shot out in early spring. The logging operation has really got them on the move.

3waycross":2kme3q2y said:
HOSS":2kme3q2y said:

Whattsa matter. Ten gauge broken? :nod:
My 4 gauge loaded with ball bearings is in the shop so I had to really go lightweight :tiphat:

What are yall, a bunch of girls. Who needs a shotgun to kill a snake....Really? They have no arms or legs :? . Grab a shovel and get it over with and save your ammo..your welcome....lol

cowgirl8":1ko7a2o5 said:
What are yall, a bunch of girls. Who needs a shotgun to kill a snake....Really? They have no arms or legs :? . Grab a shovel and get it over with and save your ammo..your welcome....lol

I tell you what......you bring your shovel and swim out in my 4 acre pond / lake and kill one as they swim. After all it has no legs or arms.....all but 1 snake has been killed out in the water. I am not walking through knee high grass on the bank with a shovel in my hand.

cowgirl8":3c5ctmsu said:
But they do have fangs, they can move fast if necessary and they can strike about half the length of their body. No need to be reckless about it. Keep challenging them and sooner or later one of them will win. Usually happens when you think you have it all figured out and nothing bad could ever happen. :nod: Nothing wrong at all with a bit of "overkill". Who the heck rides or walks around all the time with a shovel??

Walked up on a 5' black snake on Fri. Jumped high and ran fast for a bit until my mind told my body it was just a black snake. I hate snakes!

TexasBred":1lgs1vo2 said:
cowgirl8":1lgs1vo2 said:
But they do have fangs, they can move fast if necessary and they can strike about half the length of their body. No need to be reckless about it. Keep challenging them and sooner or later one of them will win. Usually happens when you think you have it all figured out and nothing bad could ever happen. :nod: Nothing wrong at all with a bit of "overkill". Who the heck rides or walks around all the time with a shovel??
If i see a snake while i'm out, and yes sometimes i do carry a shovel( dont ask why)...i leave the snake alone. I only kill what comes into my personal space, my yard. Why kill them? If i went to all our ponds to kill snakes, i'd be doing nothing but killing snakes and i would never make a dent in them... I learned to live with them when i'm in their home. As long as i dont stick my hand where i cant see into and wear boots when i'm in the grass or around ponds, i'm safe. Most snakes want nothing to do with a human and are gone most times before you even know it was there. I've learned to live with snakes, poisonous spiders and swarms of all types of bees and wasp. There are dangers everywhere, its better to learn about them than fear them with irrational behavior..
Here is my garden snake, he's over 5ft long.

I see nothing irrational about killing snakes, spiders, wasps or anything else than might harm me. The next person might be one of my grandkids and not see them.

TexasBred":1jfzn7cl said:
I see nothing irrational about killing snakes, spiders, wasps or anything else than might harm me. The next person might be one of my grandkids and not see them.
In your yard yes, anywhere else no.

TexasBred":2q31rkbg said:

Has she been reincarnated with a lower IQ?

You have a computer in front of you, look at stats on injuries and deaths....Here is why its irrational. We, supposedly most of us, live a farm life. Now, look at how many deaths each year are caused by snakes, and how many are caused by accidents on the farm. Now, why is it you will enter a pen full of cows with just a stick, maybe even nothing. Yet, when you go somewhere you 'may' see a snake, you carry a shotgun? Its just not logical. Its all how you look at things. Hey, look at car accidents, i bet you've been in a vehicle today, yet, it kills more people than snakes any day. A snake is nothing..........Its not me with the low IQ.