Snake Bit

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
Our cat got bit (we think) last night about 8:30p. He came into the house just a meowing like crazy. Front paw was already swelling up and where he got bit, it was oozing a mixture of blood and clear liquid. About 9:00p he started throwing up a little blood. I thought to myself "He's dead." Didn't tell the wife though. She thinks they're our kids. He's the best mouser we have too. She called the Vet and he said to put a cold compress on the paw to keep the swelling down, yeah right. He also said to give him some childrens liquid Benedril. Did'nt have any so we broke an adult capsule in half and mixed with milk and sugar. Gave it to him, viola, he's asleep in about five minutes. I mean REALLY ASLEEP. Scared hell outta me. Thought I'd killed him. Still breathing though.

Well, I got up at my normal time, 3:30a, and checked on him. Still alive, but had thrown up some more. Looked up at me and meowed softly. Book is still out on him though. This cat has got to live because if not, my wife will say, " You should'nt have said all those bad things about him." Can't win here. He's a pretty good guy, I have to say, even for a cat. My dog Sadie is also worried. Sat at the back patio door outside while Max sat at the back door inside. Had that worried look about her. She's a blue heeler and I guess they worry alot too. Wish me luck!!

Dick

maybe. rattlers can inject as much or as little amt of poison they choose. its not all a deadly dose. they might even strike and not inject poison. only baby rattlers don't have control, they are the most lethal.

Well, the little turd made it through the night and moves pretty slow. His paw is pretty swollen up. He's chewed off the hair around the bite pretty good. Limping pretty bad too. I agree, if that had been a rattler, Max would have gone through his nine lives pretty fast. His brothers were pretty worried too. They hung around the back door looking in for him. He went back outside in the afternoon and promtly headed for the pastures, limping and all. Brothers were right behind him though.

I've seen alot of copperheads around lately so that's what I think got him. Must not have injected a lot of venom. Going back into that pasture tells me he has no fear. The idiot.

Dick

icandoit":1etgh94n said:
Well, the little turd made it through the night and moves pretty slow. His paw is pretty swollen up. He's chewed off the hair around the bite pretty good. Limping pretty bad too. I agree, if that had been a rattler, Max would have gone through his nine lives pretty fast. His brothers were pretty worried too. They hung around the back door looking in for him. He went back outside in the afternoon and promtly headed for the pastures, limping and all. Brothers were right behind him though.

I've seen alot of copperheads around lately so that's what I think got him. Must not have injected a lot of venom. Going back into that pasture tells me he has no fear. The idiot.

Dick
=======

icandoit,

Don't be to critical of the little fellow...I understand it is unusual for a cat to be bitten by a snake..they're so alert good scenters and fast.....more so than a dog..... on the fast.

We must remember, the old saying..."if bucked off of a horse...get right back on him". :shock: (don't know if i could...though)

Hope he is ok....sounds like it.

=======

icandoit,

Don't be to critical of the little fellow...I understand it is unusual for a cat to be bitten by a snake..they're so alert good scenters and fast.....more so than a dog..... on the fast.

We must remember, the old saying..."if bucked off of a horse...get right back on him". :shock: (don't know if i could...though)

Hope he is ok....sounds like it.[/quote]
Last horse I bucked off of, I wasn't able to get right back on.

I 'm just a softie when it comes to these cats really. They're all brothers that have been fixed. That's why they get along so well I guess. We worry about those guys about as much as we worry about our kids and grandkids. Just like a parent, get mad at em when they do something stupid, but love em when you find out they're going to be alright.

Dick

icandoit":18ch0398 said:
I 'm just a softie when it comes to these cats really. They're all brothers that have been fixed. That's why they get along so well I guess. We worry about those guys about as much as we worry about our kids and grandkids. Just like a parent, get mad at em when they do something stupid, but love em when you find out they're going to be alright.

Dick

Nothing wrong with that, Icandoit. I'm happy the little guy's ok.

Latest posts