A bit of trivia.

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
In another thread just recently there was mention of a place in the US called Effingham. This is also the name of the street I grew up in in Brisbane. I googled it and yes it is a county in Illinois, the next street down is called Ellington St which is also a county in Connecticut in the US. I remembered that our streets were part of a US army camp during the early stages of the war. I googled it and it was an extensive psychiatric hospital during the war with recreation huts and picture theatre etc. I suspect our streets were constructed by US engineers and hence named by US personel and the names stuck when it was turned into residential blocks. I can remember some of the old buildings still there a couple of streets above us that I used to walk past when going to school in my early years, they were like big barracks buildings sheeted in asbestos, god we had asbestos every where around us when we were growing up.

Ken

In another thread just recently there was mention of a place in the US called Effingham. This is also the name of the street I grew up in in Brisbane. I googled it and yes it is a county in Illinois, the next street down is called Ellington St which is also a county in Connecticut in the US. I remembered that our streets were part of a US army camp during the early stages of the war. I googled it and it was an extensive psychiatric hospital during the war with recreation huts and picture theatre etc. I suspect our streets were constructed by US engineers and hence named by US personel and the names stuck when it was turned into residential blocks. I can remember some of the old buildings still there a couple of streets above us that I used to walk past when going to school in my early years, they were like big barracks buildings sheeted in asbestos, god we had asbestos every where around us when we were growing up.

Ken
I don't suppose you have any streets named "Bulls Gap"? :LOL::LOL:

Ellington in CT is a town, not a county. There are only 7 or 8 actual "counties" in CT and as of 2023, the legislature has said they will be there as name only on the map for reference but there will be no other designation for them..... there is no county government like here in Va... towns and cities actually back up to each other in the whole state now. It wasn't that way, years ago, but now it is. Being from Ct originally, I remember being confused as a kid about the county/town thing... but the town/city lines have bordered each other from as long back as I can remember.
The little town of Fairfield, here in Va in Rockbridge county is kinda ironic, since I was from Fairfield county in Ct.

I am 70 now and we moved to Effingham St when I was about 4 and never knew the origin of the name until I saw it mentioned the other day on a cattle forum so I am quite stoked.
On reading about the camp it said that after the US army vacated it was used to house Australian women and their children born and unborn sired by US servicemen awaiting transport to the US to meet up with their husbands/future husbands.

Ken