Relaxing a Little Bit

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
It's been a hectic week. I won't go into the details, but I could use a little downtime. I weaned some heifers this morning, so now I'm sitting in a lawn chair in the lot with them, with a cooler full of Ziegenbock beside me and a Elmer Kelton book in my lap, and some barbecue up at the house for when I get tired of sitting here, or it gets dark, or I run out of beer.

Good for you. :D My "house cattle" are various cows that consistently make me happy that I grab when they are convenient. They might be really good registered cows or they might be gentle commercial cows. Either way they don't get to be at the home place unless they make me really happy.

Sometimes a little "quality time" with our bovines is just what we need.

Found a new calf this evening, successfully tagged & banded him. Showered then went back out w/one of the dogs, stood by the fence and watched the other calves running around and playing, while enjoying the less humid, cool breeze. Good for the soul. :)

Jogeephus":1kukmkkx said:
Had to google your beer. Sounds interesting. Sounds relaxing.

It's good stuff. If anyone cares, first it got too dark to read, and then I ran out of beer, and then I got hungry, so now I'm going up to the house to eat supper and watch the Astros. And I feel better.

Rafter S":ggldw5wm said:
Jogeephus":ggldw5wm said:

It's good stuff. If anyone cares, first it got too dark to read, and then I ran out of beer, and then I got hungry, so now I'm going up to the house to eat supper and watch the Astros. And I feel better.

Sounds positive. The pressure is off and your perspective has been reset AND you can still walk. Sounds like time well spent.

Jogeephus":1fxd305z said:
Rafter S":1fxd305z said:
Jogeephus":1fxd305z said:

Sounds positive. The pressure is off and your perspective has been reset AND you can still walk. Sounds like time well spent.

It was definitely time well spent.

I like my docile cows, and there are just some that are exceptional.. I have a yearling heifer that just loves to come stand beside you.. doesn't demand attention, but will gladly just be there and chew cud.. just happy to "be"... And cows like that certainly are good stress relief.. Can't stay mad long around one of them

Rafter S":2pnu8jz4 said:
It's been a hectic week. I won't go into the details, but I could use a little downtime. I weaned some heifers this morning, so now I'm sitting in a lawn chair in the lot with them, with a cooler full of Ziegenbock beside me and a Elmer Kelton book in my lap, and some barbecue up at the house for when I get tired of sitting here, or it gets dark, or I run out of beer.

Sounds like a hard day for sure, and a hot day to do it too. Next time you're tasked like that, because I'm not all that far away, just gimme a call...I don't mind coming and giving a feller a hand when they need it.
;-)

(glad you enjoyed your downtime..and the Astros won to boot.)

greybeard":2tmna5f9 said:
Rafter S":2tmna5f9 said:

Sounds like a hard day for sure, and a hot day to do it too. Next time you're tasked like that, because I'm not all that far away, just gimme a call...I don't mind coming and giving a feller a hand when they need it.
;-)

(glad you enjoyed your downtime..and the Astros won to boot.)

Thank you. I'll do that.

Latest posts