Slow Heifer Treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a 4 wt. red angus that is a question. She was sick with BRD about 10 days after arrival - - gave her three daily rounds of penicillin and banimine and by then she was eating well and seemed OK. Temp was 102.0 Gave her a fourth shot (Baytril) and put her back into the home pen.
Now eight days later her head is up and her nose is still clean - - but she is standing alone and slow to come up to the bunk. The only thing that interests her is standing right next to the corral the bred heifers are in. Seems to be homesick? Temp this morning was 102.5... Gave her sulfa since she was in the chute and antibiotics did not seem to be needed.

Any treatment tips?

Sorry to say ,not a clue . The only thing I've found with cattle that can't seem to compete is to put them in a smaller pen with cattle that are timid like they are, and I know you can only have so many pens with oddball cattle in them, but it does seem to be the best medicine.

Larry

I initially thought she had got gotten an unusual amount of stress before she arrived, but you are right -- she is timid and she did seem to enjoy the sick pen (except for going through the chute each day :x ).

I thought it could be a virus, but she does not have a cough or any other symptoms.

Latest posts