Slow down has hit our town

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit":3rewe89o said:
From what I understand, the US gov't's 700billion handout went to the CEO's of Banking institutions while they laid off the front line workers. You can't convince me that a 25-30$ hr auto assembly worker should take a pay cut whilst the cost of food and transportion double! I was mad this year when my union got us a 1$ hr raise in pay while we lost double time saturdays....I think my travel costs to get to work are almost 3X what it was 2 yrs ago.......So if you look at the numbers I think we calculated that I am losing 5-7$ per hour since 2 yrs ago! I make a little over 30 bucks an hour but I am still living paycheck to paycheck. Good thing we decided we wanted self sufficiency!

I agree with Jo that OSHA has gone overboard but, like my lawyer said once...it is the spirit of the law not the letter! In Canada, unless you have a bad relationship with them, they will overlook the little things.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for you, when you make a steady $30 an hour with benefits. Minus the double time on Saturdays? Seems to me you must have a debt load beyond belief or you just do not know how good you have it. You were mad with a $1 raise an hour? Alot of people would scoff at you, when there are so many people who work for places that have put a freeze on any raises indefintely. This was kind of my original point to begin with.

GMN

I am not working in the auto industry, I work in construction! Sure it looks like a great wage BUT, it is seasonal and I have to travel for work!

If, you take away my wage then you take away my buying potential and then that causes someone else to have to cut staff and so it goes!

Cut the fat cats salary!

Onthebit":3kmnqahy said:
I am not working in the auto industry, I work in construction! Sure it looks like a great wage BUT, it is seasonal and I have to travel for work!

If, you take away my wage then you take away my buying potential and then that causes someone else to have to cut staff and so it goes!

Cut the fat cats salary!

Hell when I worked in (outside in the weather) constuction, when it rained and I couldn't work I didn't get paid either. As for as travel to work, it's your choice to live where you do. When I left the farm I moved closer to where I worked till I came back to the farm. My choices are mine just like your choices are yours.

Yeah, the bosses alwasy made to much and I never got what I was worth either. :lol:

Oh, don't throw the farm and ranch bit at me either. I did both, full time, alone by myself for 4 years before I chose to stop the paycheck work.

1982vett":3qp2dwva said:
A good many people don't need to be regulated, as for the rest, most of the regulations are regulated by folks that need regulating themselves. :???:

Vett; could not have put it down better myself on print. AGREE agreeeeeeeee.

hillrancher":15qk22lz said:
1982vett":15qk22lz said:
A good many people don't need to be regulated, as for the rest, most of the regulations are regulated by folks that need regulating themselves. :???:

Vett; could not have put it down better myself on print. AGREE agreeeeeeeee.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Frankie":2hncmz81 said:
Jo, would you like to talk about the coal miners who have died the last few years in unsafe mines? Mines that were NOT inspected as they should have been? Or mining companies that were slapped on the wrist for having unsafe mines and figured they were better off paying the fines instead of fixing the problems?

Do you want to talk about the babies who died or were made sick by the toxic, lead based paint on toys allowed into this country? Toys that weren't inspected because the Consumer Product Safety agency was down to only one employee to inspect them?

I'm in the middle of an oil patch. Some of my family has worked for oil companies of various sizes all my life. I believe if not for the EPA, this country wouldn't be fit to live in. I've had cousins badly hurt on old oil field equipment that should not have been in service. But it was, they paid well, and 20 year olds think they're indestructable.

I'm pretty liberal and I think what you do on your own piece of land is your business.....unless it floats downstream and winds up in my cattle's water or my own water well. That's why we need environmental impact studies.

No, you won't convice me that we need fewer regulations. What we need is honest, across the board, enforcement of the regulations that are out there. That hasn't happened. If an industry is not willing to meet safety standards established by the industry and government, IMO, they shouldn't be in business. People shouldn't die because big business wants to make a few more bucks.

As long as you continue to miss my entire point of how some of these regulations are having a negative effect on the growth of the small businesses in this country, I agree with you - I won't be able to convince you.

I will agree that environmental impact studies are needed in some situations. And I agree that there are some dirt bags out there that do not care about people nor the environment and someone needs to put them in their place and/or shut them down. But if you actually believe environmental impact studies are needed for any and all soil disturbances over one acre of land I think you are wrong. And here, this is the case. Do you actually believe that we need silt fencing around every plowed field in this country? Most people don't know this but regulation was put in affect a few years ago but was removed after much heat from naysayers like myself - but they are still trying. (This BTW would have included my garden. :roll:) And while I'm on the subject of silt fencing. Would your opinion change on its usefulness if you knew what the scientific studies have shown? That 30 feet of grass will stop more silt than any fence and fencing is not necessary if this is done. So why is it required? I can answer that cause I'm good friends with one of the fella's that lobbied for its use to protect their "big business" from going out of business. Now they are moving to Mexico and hundreds will be out of a job but the small businesses that are still in this country have to continue to abide by the pork barrel regulation.

Let's use science and common sense. Regulations without these elements are going to kill the small businesses. And if you believe the small businesses are truly the backbone of this economy you really need to do some research and find out how many of these regulations truly do affect you. I think you would be surprised.

As for how mine disasters and such can happen. I think a fella I know could better explain that as he was a regulator. Was, is a key word here. He retired early as he was given the option - retire or go to prison. I think the latter should have been the route but that would have made his agency look bad. :nod: Maybe its just me but I don't think we need more like him.

The best business in town is the repo company. No one is buying or selling much.
One very good restruant opened up in June and now for lease. I went into the feed store last week at 1:00 pm they had just turned on the computer to make me a ticket
I was the first sale of the day. Our county moved into a new justic center this weeK
one of those Million Dollar deals. They needed more jail space and had to build a junivel facility. No one is lossing jobs car dealers are selling and servicing used vehicals. Cars are selling but slow. Everyone is holding their own. Gas was 1.73 last night. Plenty of hay for the cattle around. Another bank is moving into town. People are thinking postive of our new leader just because that the only hope they have.
Yesterday my never married aunt is in very serious health a church buddy of hers got her to sign a power of attorney. Her church buddy now owns her house and car. Move my aunt ot a nursing home and told her she no family any more.
With all that a family that has never been in the restruart business built a restruart and opened up last week out in the middle of no where.
Our Radio station is really growing people are not watching depressing TV new coverage. Businesses are really promoting do busness in our home town.
Meat at the stores in getting bare I have never seen half full meat cases. Store had hams on sale there was not one ham in that store they sold them all out in one day.
Pinto beans are at $1.00 per pound.

Hay":1u0ey0bm said:
People are thinking postive of our new leader just because that the only hope they have.

I share their hopes on our new president. He has the opportunity to be a great president if he doesn't go too far left. He is in my prayers and I hope he will be remembered in history as a great man. A healer of a great divide. I hope and pray everyone will back him up cause we are all in this together. JMO (hope that wasn't too political)

Jogeephus":2ctqvg71 said:
Hay":2ctqvg71 said:
People are thinking postive of our new leader just because that the only hope they have.

I share their hopes on our new president. He has the opportunity to be a great president if he doesn't go too far left. He is in my prayers and I hope he will be remembered in history as a great man. A healer of a great divide. I hope and pray everyone will back him up cause we are all in this together. JMO (hope that wasn't too political)

People said the same for JFK worse president this country every had, he started the slippery slope of welfare and free housing.

Hay":3hws6nwa said:
The best business in town is the repo company. No one is buying or selling much.
One very good restruant opened up in June and now for lease. I went into the feed store last week at 1:00 pm they had just turned on the computer to make me a ticket
I was the first sale of the day. Our county moved into a new justic center this weeK
one of those Million Dollar deals. They needed more jail space and had to build a junivel facility. No one is lossing jobs car dealers are selling and servicing used vehicals. Cars are selling but slow. Everyone is holding their own. Gas was 1.73 last night. Plenty of hay for the cattle around. Another bank is moving into town. People are thinking postive of our new leader just because that the only hope they have.
Yesterday my never married aunt is in very serious health a church buddy of hers got her to sign a power of attorney. Her church buddy now owns her house and car. Move my aunt ot a nursing home and told her she no family any more.
With all that a family that has never been in the restruart business built a restruart and opened up last week out in the middle of no where.
Our Radio station is really growing people are not watching depressing TV new coverage. Businesses are really promoting do busness in our home town.
Meat at the stores in getting bare I have never seen half full meat cases. Store had hams on sale there was not one ham in that store they sold them all out in one day.
Pinto beans are at $1.00 per pound.

Just because one has Power of Attorney does not mean that they own your aunt's house. On the contrary, when it sells, and it will have to eventually, your aunt will have to go private pay at the nursing home in order to spend it down, unless she does not have a funeral plan, in which case she can get one of those.

As for telling your aunt she has no family, she's your aunt and your family. Step up and take control of the situation. I have had to do all of these things for my parents. I don't own their things. I just have to take care of them, at my expense, I might add.

Call your state's protective agency if you think your aunt is being exploited. Exploitation is a form of abuse. I used to investigate it all the time.

Jogeephus":3ay6t37w said:

I despise our new President, his voting record, his past associations, his party, his philosophy, many of his campaign promises and I hope he fails miserably and if I and the people in this coutry have to suffer to tear him him down that is a price I will gladly pay. Whether he succeeds and we have peace and prosperity or if Depression and war dominate his presidency it won't c hange my opinion one bit. I won't ever vote for him or his party as long as I draw breath. That doesn't mean I LOVE all things Republican; but the enemy of my enemy is my friend and in our two party system I am foced to accept the lesser of two evils.

Onthebit":3fat5rsr said:
From what I understand, the US gov't's 700billion handout went to the CEO's of Banking institutions while they laid off the front line workers. You can't convince me that a 25-30$ hr auto assembly worker should take a pay cut whilst the cost of food and transportion double! I was mad this year when my union got us a 1$ hr raise in pay while we lost double time saturdays....I think my travel costs to get to work are almost 3X what it was 2 yrs ago.......So if you look at the numbers I think we calculated that I am losing 5-7$ per hour since 2 yrs ago! I make a little over 30 bucks an hour but I am still living paycheck to paycheck. Good thing we decided we wanted self sufficiency!

I agree with Jo that OSHA has gone overboard but, like my lawyer said once...it is the spirit of the law not the letter! In Canada, unless you have a bad relationship with them, they will overlook the little things.
Nothing wrong with double time Saturdays as long as they are necessary. But were the really necessary or do some folks just work them when money is short or dog around to ensure they'll have to work Saturday? (I'm just asking).

Let'em all file bankruptcy. Then they can go to their creditors, union leaders and all the rest and work out deals just like you and I would have to do IF we were in this same boat. Renegotiate loans, rework contracts, adjust executive pay packages, etc. and return to being a more typical business, no matter how darned big you are. No business should ever be allowed to get too big to go under. After doing all this THEN, perhaps look at giving them a government LOAN with a very strict repayment clause. It's been done before by others, it can be done with the auto manufacturers.

There are a lot of doggers out there but I was never one of them. I think double time saturdays is good because it gave you a reason to leave the farm another day. Now that it is time and 1/2 they can't get me to go in. 40 hrs a week is enough thankyou!

Onthebit":hihx8buz said:
There are a lot of doggers out there but I was never one of them. I think double time saturdays is good because it gave you a reason to leave the farm another day. Now that it is time and 1/2 they can't get me to go in. 40 hrs a week is enough thankyou!

I don't know whether you make bonus or not, but where my husband works, those idiots will all want to get in overtime not realizing that the extra payroll eats up profits and therefore bonuses. Why work sixty hours for the same amount of money you could get working forty? Work your buns off, get it done and have a weekend. Sometimes overtime can't be avoided, but where do people think the money comes from to pay it? From profits. At Clayton, profits are shared in bonus. Eat that up and you are just spinning your wheels.

Overtime does not always put much on your check. Work eight hours OT on Saturday and after taxes the overtime works out to four hours straight time in many cases. I always prefer banking the overtime hours as paid time off later.
Tom.

kerley":2s06wrsp said:
Overtime does not always put much on your check. Work eight hours OT on Saturday and after taxes the overtime works out to four hours straight time in many cases. I always prefer banking the overtime hours as paid time off later.
Tom.

I accumulated tons of comp time hours where I used to work. Never got to take them and they didn't transfer from year to year. They did come in handy to use instead of sick time or vaca, when you got the chance. One of the bad things about being salaried. They could work you to death.

Lammie":1nvf9qrs said:
kerley":1nvf9qrs said:
Tom.

I accumulated tons of comp time hours where I used to work. Never got to take them and they didn't transfer from year to year. They did come in handy to use instead of sick time or vaca, when you got the chance. One of the bad things about being salaried. They could work you to death.
Lammie, I guess it all depends on your line of work. In my business, during winter when it was sometimes difficult to even get to a job site due to snow and you had a short check my guys pulled from their banked hours.
Tom.

kerley":2y1gaswp said:
In my business, during winter when it was sometimes difficult to even get to a job site due to snow and you had a short check my guys pulled from their banked hours.
Tom.
Snow never was much of a problem, but the cold, windy, week long rainy spells we used to have back in the '80s would sure put a dent in a paycheck. Seems like from October thru May, we rarely had a 40 hour check unless we were working on a job that had some inside work. Rarely got to do that, someone else always did the inside, we mostly did the shell.

Latest posts