Slow Cooking

Help Support CattleToday:

Darhawk

Reaction score
Before going out in the morn, I put together something in the slow cooker for supper. Usually any cut of beef, pork, or chicken gets fixed with taters, carrots, onions, garlic, and various seasoning. Beef or chicken broth, as well as tomato sauce gives the extra kick. For the Texas punch, I'l add pepper, jalapeno, rotel or pineapple.

I'm gettin a bit tied of my present menus. Any slow cooker ideas?

You can cook anything in a slow cooker. It is truly the working person's friend. I like to come home after being out all day and be greeted by the smell of a nice beef stew. My son always has to have a bowl right away. He can't wait till supper.

Oh Yeah :D I do a crockpot twice a week and have the leftovers 2-3 more nights, Weekends the Boss cooks. :heart:

We like escalloped potatoes and they work great in the crock pot. Sometimes I will add a few pork chops, others some polish sausage, but always with some sharp cheese added. Put on high for an hour then turn down, keeps the potatoes from turning color.

Top two on my list are:
A pork roast usually a boston butt, seasoning,chicken broth, onions, celery, peppers, garlic, and sweet potatos.
A brisket injected with Stubbs marinade, seasoinig, garlic, and a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. (That is when the wife is cooking a brisket, if I get my hands on it first it will end up in the smoker :) )

My all time favorite is chili but I know most Texans don't like beans in their chili so i can't send along a recipe. Besides, it might be a bit too hot for ya'll!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, little off topic but I found the BEST thing to cook fast. Ziploc makes these bags that you can steam foods in. I bought some and kinda forgot about them til tonight. My son and I put in some chicken and a cut up tater and carrot pieces. I used two different bags. They were both ready in seven minutes each. Sooo good! I just put some lemmon pepper in with the chicken and sealed it up. That was all I had to do. And you can put frozed foods in there. Man, you gotta try it. My son ate like he hasn't been fed in a month.

Bullbuyer":1z21sj18 said:
My all time favorite is chili but I know most Texans don't like beans in their chili so i can't send along a recipe. Besides, it might be a bit too hot for ya'll!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that chili without beans is an abomination.

I LOVE my crock pot. I do roasts in it, stews, chili.
One of my favourites though is meatloaf as the hamburger goes in uncooked.
My husband and I also really love this one (we don't put in onions, he doesn't like them or chilies, I don't like them):
Taco Bake
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3/4 cup water
1 pkg. (1 2/4 ounces) taco seasoning
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 package(8 ounces) shell macaroni, uncooked
1 can(4 ounces) mild chopped green chilies
2 cups mild shredded Cheddar cheese

In large skillet, brown ground beef and onion; drain fat.
Add water, taco seasoning and tomato sauce; mix. Simmer 20 minutes. transfer to Crockpot.
Stir in macaroni and chopped green chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
In last 30 minutes of cooking, top with cheese.

Another one we like is:
Beef and Potato Casserole
NGREDIENTS:

* 1 lb. lean ground beef
* 1 (5 to 6 oz) pkg. scalloped potatoes
* 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes
* 1 (10 oz) can pizza sauce
* 1/2 c. water
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon basil leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

PREPARATION:
In skillet, brown ground beef, drain. In slow cooker/Crock Pot, combine beef with dry sauce mix from package of scalloped potatoes, tomatoes, pizza sauce, water, salt, oregano, basil, and garlic powder.
Stir in dry potato slices. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours. Turn control to high. Stir in mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Cover and cook on high for last 10 to 15 minutes.

I think the recipes came from about.com - a google search anyway.:)

Lammie, good to know about the Ziploc steamers, I was wondering how well they worked.

Lammie":1c9b7hq9 said:
Bullbuyer":1c9b7hq9 said:

I think that chili without beans is an abomination.

Do you want chili or do you want chili beans :?: :?: Cook you some beans with some jalapenos in them and serve them on the side. Those that want the beans can add them to there "real chili". Use meat in that chili too...not hamburger. ( A little tabasco adds to the flavor) :!: :!:

3fifty7":152621d5 said:
I find beans to be nothing more than a filler.

Sounds like you may not be cooking them right. Most people use them as fillers in recipes, but you do a couple things with beans. ;-)

357- I'm with you on the Boston butt.
Recipe Ideas:
1. At 5:30 a.m. Take a boston butt and rub it down with 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix- put the meat in the crock-pot , add water, top off with another packet of soup mix , put it on LOW - -and forget about until that afternoon.

2. Soak red-beans over night in Crock pot, in the morning add just enough water to where you can see it, add celery, lightly boiled salt meat, your favorite sausage, and diced onions, turn it on LOW and forget about it till the afternoon.

Latest posts