Cooking for a large group

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
A very close friend passed Tuesday suddenly. Military vet, true hero. Dos Equis is nothing compared to him. Services are next weekend, followed by a good proper Irish wake street party and they've asked me to cook. 100-150 people are expected. Burgers and dogs won't cut it. What would you cook that would leave you free to still attend the memorial service 20 minutes away

My condolences for you and your friends loved ones on your loss.

I'm not sure how substantial a meal we're talking for an Irish wake. I really only familiar with Italian wakes, and that's always full fare.
For meats I would go with roasts. Ham, pulled pork, rib roast if it's in the budget. They can be cooked ahead and/or left unattended for long periods. All can be eaten alone or sandwich style. Provide sandwich fixins for all of them.
I would make a couple big pans of Lasagne too,but I'm not sure that's needed in this case.
6 to 8 salads. Since it's an Irish wake I'd be happy to scan a few salad recipes from a great Irish Pub cookbook that I have.
Seasonal fruit & veges.
3-4 desserts that, personally, I would pick up from someplace like Sams Club.

I'm guessing Slick will have some great ideas to add.

I'm not sure if it appropriate for an Irish wake but you got a smoker I would put a whole hog on it. and of course BEER.

Sorry for your loss.

I love Irish wakes. Growing up going to them it was a shock to go to a southern baptist wake. I don't see how they are good for comforting anyone.

Roast a pig(you can rent a cooker). Big batch of slaw, potato salad and beans and you are set. Not very Irish, but if you add beer you will be fine.

To go really Irish. Cook up big pots of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots. Its easy to leave that on its own for a while. You can even precook everything(but the cabbage) the week before and just dump it in the seasoned water(that you saved) to reheat it. Corned beef and the vegetables get better with sitting time.

Traditionally Irish wakes are pot luck with everyone bringing food. Its the beer and whiskey you have to make sure you supply enough.

We sat down yesterday and put a little menu of sorts together. Making a pile of butts, some chicken, a turkey, some pasta salad, some regular salad, all the sandwich fixings, frying some alligator up, a keg of Newcastle brown ale, a keg of Heineken, and a bunch of single malt scotch. All of his favorite stuff. When we go to inter him at Arlington, he's getting the full show. Caisson, 21 gun, bagpipes.

Thanks again everyone. It's been pretty chaotic lately. His memorial is Thursday, and his motorcycle is being brought in and his urn set on it, pictures everywhere. Then the real party starts around 6. Ill start cooking Wednesday evening so everything is done right before the services. Tim was one of the most adventurous guys I've ever met. Spec ops in the Air Force, retired there them worked for Raytheon on the govt defense projects designing things To protect troops from ieds, counter terrorism projects here at home for large venues like stadiums and such. We got out gators together, our first yellowfin tuna trips on the boat together (120 mile runs one way) a whole lot of fishing, cutting up, drinking, and overall trying to find the next bit of adventure/trouble to get into or stay out of. One things for sure, he touched a lot of peoples lives directly and indirectly and he will be missed. But for now, were trying to celebrate his living. Gonna be a fun week!

That's the way to do it Hook, have a big ol party for the life he lived and be thankful you had him. Not sad he's gone, he went on the the good life.
Maybe even a few babies will come from the party you throw for him, that's really the way the world was set up to turn.
Fire up the grill, ice down the coolers and say dam he ran hard and lived large.
I know you'll miss him though.

Went with butts. They have to go on tomorrow to be done by Thursday 3pm. The weirdest thing happened today though. His daughter, sister, neighbor and myself went to SAMs to get the food and supplies this afternoon. We're walking around a and suddenly from the other side of the wharehouse we hear amazing grace being played loud as all get out.....in bag pipes. Odd, considering his future trip to Arlington

What a crazy 48 hours. Cooked for 26 hours straight. Then we had the memorial service and then the party. Everything went off really well. Just got back home. Hated saying see you later to a great friend but I think we sent him off the right way

Latest posts