Slow computer repair?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Any suggestions on fixing a slow desktop? Windows 7 about 5 years old. Ran CCleaner, Spyware removers, Antivirus and anything else I can think of. Sometimes when you try to start a program you just get a spinning circle and it takes a while to open if it ever does open. A shutdown and restart helps slightly but only for a short period. Seeing it did not come with a Windows disc it looks like only way to reinstall is to buy one, repair disc does not work that I made. Tried a restore but it only has a recent point to go back to. Any suggestions?

Clearing cache and history can also help. My brother re-formats his on occasion when his gets wonky, but I don't have a clue what's involved.

slick4591":1xupak6m said:
Clearing cache and history can also help. My brother re-formats his on occasion when his gets wonky, but I don't have a clue what's involved.

Done all the cleaning I know to do. Can't do a reformat without a Windows disk, guess I could order one off Ebay but hate to put a ton of money in ii.

It could perhaps be a hardware problem. Swollen or blown caps on the motherboard could slow a computer right down.

Running a memory hog of a program? Automatic updates that run automatically when you boot up might be a problem too...

You purchase information should have included the keys for reinstalling software.

If you don't have automatic downloads set to specific times, such as 3 am, the machine is probably doing it on boot up. Get several programs doing this at start up and you quickly loose bandwidth and system resources till they finish.

Antivirus, spyware, system tools.....get them running at the same time eats up resources too. i have all this scheduled to happen after midnight so it doesn't happen while I'm trying yo use the computer. I still get caught by microsofts updates from time to time which is a bit of an annoyance.

Download run Malwarebytes, works for me, usually say no malware found, but 10-12 potential unwanted
programs running. Allow them delete all good for while. free program, I get good results. These just appears
to be advertising programs, but track, log and slow down systems. I run anytime computer seems to slow.

Seeing it did not come with a Windows disc it looks like only way to reinstall is to buy one, repair disc does not work that I made. Any suggestions?

If it came new with Win7, odds are the OS was installed from a separate/hidden recovery partition on the hard drive--and not from a CD, but I won't guarantee that. Few computers or laptops come with a set of discs of any kind for the operating system nowadays.

Down load what you want to save if you can and re install operating system. Or...go get a new one. 7 year old computer is a dinosaur

Another option, is to start windows in safe mode and run all your antivirus-anti spam-anti spyware from there. Your desktop will look a little different :D but safe mode only allows the loading of most important programs.
The MS instructions say to press and hold down the f8 key, but I've always just tapped f8 several times in quick succession.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -safe-mode
Should bring up this dialog box:
F8_safemode.png

(oh--and make sure you don't have your AV running when running malwarebytes or other security programs. The 2 apps will fight each other.)

It may be the hard drive, I tried running a disk check and getting an error about a software installation. May have to buy a Windows disc and try reinstalling, if that does not do it may need a hard drive. Opinions on Windows 10?

Sounds like you have backdoor runners.. I would try to wipe the drive and get a fresh new copy if you could afford it or download windows 10 for free and use it.. Only difference is it being free you get a water mark on your screen but you can update it as you need too. The good part is you don't have to pay that high dollar for a factory copy. Plus you can also use the PC code on the hard case of your desktop and upgrade it too a full install. Key-loggers are on almost all PC's if your on the Net at all these days without protection.

Arkansas":2t90qr8k said:
Sounds like you have backdoor runners.. I would try to wipe the drive and get a fresh new copy if you could afford it or download windows 10 for free and use it.. Only difference is it being free you get a water mark on your screen but you can update it as you need too. The good part is you don't have to pay that high dollar for a factory copy. Plus you can also use the PC code on the hard case of your desktop and upgrade it too a full install. Key-loggers are on almost all PC's if your on the Net at all these days without protection.

Seems worse again this morning. How can you get Windows 10 for free now? Thought that deal was over. Also wonder if my system can handle it.

I cussed Windows 10 for about 6 months because it was different than 7. Now that I've figured it out I'm okay with it, but 7 still seems better for my purposes.

slick4591":1ywot4au said:
I cussed Windows 10 for about 6 months because it was different than 7. Now that I've figured it out I'm okay with it, but 7 still seems better for my purposes.
I'm still cussing it because it's different then XP. But I cussed XP because it was different than DOS. But any of them are an improvement over CPM

dun":2k0z96h1 said:
slick4591":2k0z96h1 said:
I'm still cussing it because it's different then XP. But I cussed XP because it was different than DOS. But any of them are an improvement over CPM

I'm still cussing it, I'm still trying to find things I knew well on XP. also it changed some of my printer settings when printing out an email, I can only print them out on "portrait" quality (meaning it uses a bunch more ink) I haven't figured out to change it back so I can chose a "fast draft" setting. But it's only printing an email, I can print a document and it's goes the the setting it suppose to.

Latest posts