Boot repair conundrum

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
My wife dropped my boots off at a cobbler last week to have the sole glued back together. We figured we might as well drop off my daughter's boots that had a 1 inch cut along the side. We just got them back today this is what he is calling a fix.

I'd be embarrassed to try to pass off work like that.

I kid you not. He was offended when my wife told him we would pay for my repair but weren't paying for that.
Lava, you're steps ahead of me. I've started a go fund me account to buy her some new boots. Sea to be the thing to do these days, judging by how many requests I see on facebook and emails.

Having done repairs on leather for years that is the only way to patch it. Now I would have put some top grain on it and maybe made to patch look like a star or something . If it was a cut he could have punched holes along each side and used A thong to make it look good.

Personally I do not see the problem, the boot now has real cowboy character, and has increased in value by at least.25 per cent,

Jogeephus":22xqww5a said:
Hook":22xqww5a said:
I would have stitched it closed like a cut myself.

I guess that's why you are not a cobbler. :lol2: :lol2:
:nod:
If he had come close in shade or texture and made an effort it would have sufficient. It looks like he grabbed the leather straight off a curly calf, slapped some sale barn glue on it, and threw a couple stitches of various lengths in te most random pattern he could come up with.

She can start a new style. Heck, kids these days buy jeans with holes in them. She might patent the idea and get filthy rich ....especially if she claimed the leather was from free-range gluten free animals - humanely killed of course.

He put the grain side down flesh out. Typically you glue like side for better adhesion . He should have glued another piece to that to make it looked finished.

Lot's of rough out saddles floating around but you don't see rough out boots very often... Could be the start of something big.

Jogeephus":1nylflc7 said:
humanely killed of course.

We can't have that. The leather needs to come from animals that died of old age after happily spending their lives free from human contact.

Thirty years ago I tried to have a boot patched like that. The shoe repairman refused.
I had seen some rodeo cowboys wearing boots that had that type obvious patch and wanted the look, like you did it yourself. Could not get it done here.

Re read your post, not clear if he was paid or not, but if he was not the fair thing to do would be to pay him and not let the wife know, he did put time and labor into the job, and from other comments it is a challenge to repair such a rip, a few dollars are not worth hurt feelings. I worked in customer service and got chewed out so many times, when I retired I swore I would never be mean to anyone in customer service even if they were wrong, I guess I am getting soft in my old age, :cboy:

A good buff job and a little polish will do wonders. That will just add character.

Latest posts