Boot repair conundrum

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook":2m03xz0d said:
My wife dropped my boots off at a cobbler last week to have the sole glued back together. We figured we might as well drop off my daughter's boots that had a 1 inch cut along the side. We just got them back today this is what he is calling a fix.

I'd be embarrassed to try to pass off work like that.

Duct tape could of fixed that.

TennesseeTuxedo":2wu17ll9 said:
How the heck did she cut a slice in them to begin with?
Don't know it's right where te leather flexes alot along side the toe, so perhaps it's a wear spot.
Cowboy, there ain't no way in haides I'm paying for that repair even if it's only 20 bucks. Online reviews show the guy has 50% good and bad. One of the bad ones is where the guy insists on being paid upfront in cash, goes on a trip to Greece for a month, and then sells the customers shoes because she didn't pick them up in time. :shock:
Where we dropped the boots off is a feed store. The guy makes his rounds and picks up and drops off the repairs. The owner of the feed store was shocked when she saw the "repair" today.

Sadly, we don't have a shoe man in town any more. That looks like how he patched holes, when we had one.

Sadly it's a dying art. I have been working with leather along time and several years ago explored opening a shop. The cost of equipment is very expensive. It's hard to find used equipment at a reasonable price. The time it takes to turn out a nice product is not relative to what a customer will pay. People don't repair shoes anymore. Custom made belts can be profitable but the problem is you would need your shop set up in Wal-Mart to sell enough to live off of. Holsters are in demand but Mexican and Asian holsters flood the market and 99% of.people don't want to wait for one to be made. I used to make enough repairing saddles and such to buy supplies and more leather but the crazy horse people think restiching a horn, or replacing rawhide on stirrups is only worth 10 bucks. I started telling them up front how much it would cost and I weeded out the ones I didn't want to fool with. I still have a couple people that I still do work for and they understand a good repair takes time and good material. I enjoy working with leather more than any other hobby I've got. I do it all by hand and no machines.

I would like to make reigns, and head stalls. A guy up my way makes em. They feel so good, you know his work, as soon as you pick it up. Not sure what his secret is,and I would never ask.

What did your daughter say when she saw her boot? Isn't it where the boot flexes? It is not going to stay on very long. I think that it may make her foot sore.
Not a good thing at all.

chippie":1d2n2736 said:
What did your daughter say when she saw her boot? Isn't it where the boot flexes? It is not going to stay on very long. I think that it may make her foot sore.
Not a good thing at all.
She wasn't happy. At first I blew it off until I saw the picture. I just took the stitches out and the patch fell off. He didn't even glue it. She got a new pair yesterday and she'll use the older ones for kicking around the house in

TennesseeTuxedo":3hy4rlf2 said:
There are a handful of companies like them that make excellent product. There work is beautiful. There are actually alot of small custom shops scattered across America that make just as good of product. Most of those shops are located very near a large city so they have the foot traffic. TT if you will invest in my company ,I will be able to market our wares across the world. Just imagine a makers mark with (Double T leather hand crafted at M5farms) we could make millions just think every time some one Google's leather our brand will come up. I have the business plan already and I'm gonna get CG8 to.make a utube videos of every thing I make an we will double dip. I am willing to sacrifice 10% of my company for.only 1.5 million. Just call me and I will tell you where to send the money. It's an offshore account so it safe from uncle Sam.

Bigfoot":2fdmsws3 said:
I would like to make reigns, and head stalls. A guy up my way makes em. They feel so good, you know his work, as soon as you pick it up. Not sure what his secret is,and I would never ask.
His secret is the quality of leather he uses.

M5farm":1vv6zj2a said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1vv6zj2a said:
There are a handful of companies like them that make excellent product. There work is beautiful. There are actually alot of small custom shops scattered across America that make just as good of product. Most of those shops are located very near a large city so they have the foot traffic. TT if you will invest in my company ,I will be able to market our wares across the world. Just imagine a makers mark with (Double T leather hand crafted at M5farms) we could make millions just think every time some one Google's leather our brand will come up. I have the business plan already and I'm gonna get CG8 to.make a utube videos of every thing I make an we will double dip. I am willing to sacrifice 10% of my company for.only 1.5 million. Just call me and I will tell you where to send the money. It's an offshore account so it safe from uncle Sam.

Sounds like a plan to me boss!!!

Hook":3j0jtaw7 said:
She wasn't happy. At first I blew it off until I saw the picture. I just took the stitches out and the patch fell off. He didn't even glue it. She got a new pair yesterday and she'll use the older ones for kicking around the house in

Wow, talk about shoddy work. The good thing is that now she has a pair of barn/work boots and a nice pair to wear to town.

Latest posts