Leather Boot protection

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm":2td4iv63 said:
Bigfoot":2td4iv63 said:
Maybe there is different kinds of neats foot oil?

There's the 100% Neatsfoot oil and there's Neatsfoot oil compound.

I bet it's the compound that gives synthetic thread a problem. I thought the oil was made from bone marrow?

Bigfoot":2ashjc8o said:
Workinonit Farm":2ashjc8o said:
Bigfoot":2ashjc8o said:
Maybe there is different kinds of neats foot oil?

There's the 100% Neatsfoot oil and there's Neatsfoot oil compound.

I bet it's the compound that gives synthetic thread a problem. I thought the oil was made from bone marrow?

The "compound" is, indeed, the product that 'rots' the stitching.

Whenever I would use oil on my tack I would use the 100% Neatsfoot oil, not the compound. The oil may have tallow inn t.

M-5":2s0c35pz said:
Real neatsfoot comes from cattle hooves.
Actually, the use the lower legs but NOT the hoofs. The hoofs would probably contaminate it with keritin.

dun":27l7annk said:
M-5":27l7annk said:
Actually, the use the lower legs but NOT the hoofs. The hoofs would probably contaminate it with keritin.

That Is correct Dun, I was told many years ago it was made from feet and I had never looked it up and just assumed the hooves were involved. I'm never to old to learn something New .

dun":2e5nltce said:
hurleyjd":2e5nltce said:
dun":2e5nltce said:
I've been using Kiwi Camp Dry for years. Never noticed any negatives. The leather absorbes it and then appears dry. Don;t see why you couldn;t polish over it

I kill a possum and render the fat and treat the boots with it turns at great.
Wandering hounds ever try to tree you?

Red fox cover scent will get you in serious trouble with the dogs. I was bow hunting once, years ago. Left the stand and went to a bon fire in a pasture. Everyone's dogs were growling at me and coming at me. Then I remembered the cover scent. People were telling me their dogs had never gone after anyone.

M-5":2qdi7ple said:
dun":2qdi7ple said:
M-5":2qdi7ple said:

That Is correct Dun, I was told many years ago it was made from feet and I had never looked it up and just assumed the hooves were involved. I'm never to old to learn something New .

It may be true that you're never to old to learn something new. But now that you're 50 you're to old to admit that you learned something new.

Because of bad knees I can't wear true work boots. I wear light weight western style boots.
When I find a boot that's comfortable, I'll buy a dozen pairs because they seems to always stop making them about the time I get to liking them. Justin bent rail right now.
I wear em out to fast to worry about any leather preservatives. I do use the synthetic scotchgaurd type sprays heavily. But it.has more to do with keeping my feet dry than protecting the leather.

fenceman":1jja9ugm said:
But it.has more to do with keeping my feet dry than protecting the leather.
That's what I use the Kiwi Camp Dry spray for.

Latest posts