Computer Screen Issue

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
For all you computer experts, I need help with an issue.

I was on my desktop computer, and everything was normal. I got off and got back on within 10 minutes and the screen seemed distorted; everything was big or stretched to widescreen. My first thought was screen resolution. The recommended resolution for my computer is 1024 x 768, which it was set on. I changed it to 1280 x 1024, and now things seem "almost" back to normal, but there is still a little distortion. Everything still seems a little stretched horizontally.

I don't know why my computer would suddenly have this issue. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Check the monitor cable to make sure the connections are good and tight. Loose cable will effect the screen resolution.

1982vett":qwwxmyu5 said:
Check the monitor cable to make sure the connections are good and tight. Loose cable will effect the screen resolution.

I checked cables and no issue there.

slick4591":qwwxmyu5 said:
If a reboot doesn't work I usually replace it. Fortunately, I've had good luck with monitors.

So, you think it's a sign that the monitor is going bad?

If it's like the one I had it is. I milked her for all it was worth until she black out on me. Took it to the computer center to see about fixing it and their diagnostic fee was about half of a new monitor.

Is everyone sure it couldn't be something else? I just feel like it's one of those simple situations where all it will take is the click of a button or something, which is something I encounter at work sometimes, but since I'm not a computer expert, I have no idea.

I have actually Googled people with issues about stretched screens, but a lot of their suggestions is the resolution setting, which I already tried, and others don't make a lot of sense.

I have Googled signs that the monitor is going out, and nothing seems to fit my current situation. There are no white spots or lines on my screen, for example, it just seems a bit stretched. Everybody looks like they have put on a few pounds.

I'm not disputing anything anyone has told me here, I just want to make sure I'm explaining the situation correctly.

I'd hate to order a new monitor only to discover it was a setting problem rather than a monitor problem

Reset your resolution to what it was. Turn off computer. Unplug monitor. Plug it back in. Turn computer back on. Some stuff just resets with a simple un plug and re plug or a reboot. That's about all I know of computers.

it just seems a bit stretched. Everybody looks like they have put on a few pounds.

Lines and other distortions usually mean capacitors on the monitor/display board have gone bad--a common problem.
Sounds more like the aspect ratio is out of whack.
Does it also appear that the images are shorter--or, is 'everybody' also taller as well as fatter?

Most computers have a splash screen that comes up while the bios is doing what we used to call POST--this splash screen usually involves the computer brand name, and shows up before the OS loads. If it looks correct, then it isn't your monitor.

Aspect ratio can be a function of the graphics card or just a settings problem. You see aspect ratio options most often when editing the overall size of an image. For instance, from 640x480 resolution to something like 700x480. Or, from landscape to portrait & viceversa. If you choose to retain the original ratio, the photo doesn't look right because the individual pixels are stretched out horizontally to fill the area you choose.

greybeard":1jtxxxw2 said:
Sounds more like the aspect ratio is out of whack.
Does it also appear that the images are shorter--or, is 'everybody' also taller as well as fatter?

I'd just describe it as just being a little fatter, and it's not terrible, just noticeably different.
If I had not been accustomed to this monitor and sat down for the first time, I would probably just think it were a little different, but not necessarily something wrong; however, having known how it was before, I realize it's not totally normal

UPDATE:

I got up this morning and my computer screen looked normal again. I checked the resolution settings, and before I only had 3 options. Apparently, none of them were what my screen needed, not even the recommended. Now, I have an option of 9 different resolution settings, and the recommended one works like a charm. All I can figure is that it had an automatic update.

I'm glad I didn't buy a new monitor.