Slaughter pigs???

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Tomarrow we will be picking up 2 feeder pigs to raise for slaughter. Can anyone tell me about the feeding and care of them. We slaughter our own beef and decided to do pigs at the same time. I am wondering what any of you have done. How long do you grain out? What do you feed before graining out? I am not looking for anything fancy.
Thank you in advance for the info.
Take care :)

What breed? What weight? How heavy do you want them at harvest? Roughly takes 8 months from birth to finish @ 250 lbs. This will vary depending on breed, feed supply, desired butcher weight. We grind our own feed of shell corn and soybean meal. You would be better off buying bagged feed at the local farm supply. We usually just pick one out when we have a load ready to go to market. Mom gets a couple weaned pigs from us at a time for her butcher meat. She buys bagged feed from Bomgaars and takes them well over 300 lbs. Extra fat = extra flavor. Do you have any hog producers close to you? May be able to buy feed from him.

We used to feed the bread and pastry products that the day old bread stores threw out. We soaked it in whey left over from cheese making then the last month before we planned on wacking them we changed over to rolled barley corn and water. I've found that milk fattened pork is too greasy to my taste even when it's not fatty.

dun

Feed ground shelled corn and soybean meal in a self feeder from start to finish .If you have good pigs 6-8 weeks old in 4 months they should be ready.

we make our own feed like others, but we use the envirolean concentrate and add corn to it. the pigs love it. they eat better when its cool, so if you spray them, they are more likely to get up and eat. they won't eat much when it/they are hot. our pigs start at around 70 lbs and we feed them to about 200-250 lbs or whatever they are in august at fair time.

good luck!

As a pork producer for a few years, the market weight target is 240# to 260#. but for locker pork for sale most people want them to be about 300# to 350#, you get bigger chops and steaks but the hams are so big they must be cut into slices or you will alot of ham leftovers.

We feed a ground blend of wheat, barley, corn and soybean meal added to bring up the protien. you should feed 12%- 14% protein for finish and 16%-18% for growth.

We have more orders than we can fill each year. More money in hogs than cows.

Latest posts