Slaughter bulls and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

USA beef imports {click here} - Imported Aussie beef trimmings are ground into hamburger.
Yes but also a lot of the lean cull cow and bull meat. We have not been producing much of late due to the herd rebuilding phase and our high prices but our good times seem to be over for a while with a drier outlook and prices have come down making the processors happy and people are culling heavier and your buyers are offering a bit more money.
Ken

A stockyard 2 hours from me had 1003 head yesterday. Not huge by western standards but 192 of that number was slaughter cows and bulls. Over 19%. Plus i bet a good portion of the Head cows went to slaughter also.

Pretty country up that way. Came by that way once going to Kansas (I will never go to Kansas again unless paid). I do not like Kansas.
Lol you just have to understand Kansas! Western in sand and looks like western Texas, middle is beautiful miles of wheat and eastern is an extension of Arkansas till you get up into the flint hills that have their own kinds of beauty. A lot of different scenery in that little state

Lol you just have to understand Kansas! Western in sand and looks like western Texas, middle is beautiful miles of wheat and eastern is an extension of Arkansas till you get up into the flint hills that have their own kinds of beauty. A lot of different scenery in that little state
No thank you, y'all can have as much Kansas as you want. Maybe if the wife or kids wanted to go, but I will not elect to do so myself. Last time I was up there the wind about cut me half in two.

Finished fat cattle are low in numbers and carcass weights are down. Feeders know this and have been holding the line which has helped to drive prices up.
True,

Packers try to control the cash price by buffering bidding using cattle they already own or have contracted for previously. So cash prices are held down until packers get truly desperate. We saw it here this winter during periods where cattle receipts were very low due to storms, and local cash prices would jump 10 cents during the week to keep the kill plant running.

It's not so much supply vs. demand, as previously purchased & contracted cattle vs. demand.

A good percentage of the contracted cattle are priced based on what cash cattle are selling for on delivery date. So it is really to the packers advantage to keep cash price down.

A good percentage of the contracted cattle are priced based on what cash cattle are selling for on delivery date. So it is really to the packers advantage to keep cash price down.
Can you explain contracted cattle? I was approached by a local who asked about bringing in some steers on my winter mix. What is the difference between contracted and "on gain"?

Can you explain contracted cattle? I was approached by a local who asked about bringing in some steers on my winter mix. What is the difference between contracted and "on gain"?
Contract fed cattle looks like this; 40,000lbs that yield 63% for a set price. The cattle will be shrank on paper until they yield 63%. Then that total lbs is what the producer is paid on.

I hauled some sheep to the sale for a neighbor (do I need to sanitize my trailer?). I stuck around to watch pairs and bred cows sell. I went to leave. B's brother was there and had bought some cows for B. He asked if I could haul some home for B. It was going to be a short sale so I stuck around. Saw several kill cows sell for $1.13. Lots for $1.10. I don't think I saw any sell for under $0.95.

They are sending lots of hfrs to the feed lots too. Very few people seem to be interested in expansion yet.
There are many keeping replacements in this area. It started last fall. We had heifers sell within 4 dollars of our steers. I know several around here banking on a change in the drought situation. Know one friend eho is breeding over 250 heifers. Another is breeding 90. Have heard of some who may breed up to 400 head. We aren't as convinced of the improvement as some evidently are feeling. Have seen bred heifers bring over $2,000.00. 2 y/o pairs up to $3,600.00. I feel the next 60 days will be a major factor in what many do. Many like us are going to reduce numbers more in an effort to let the grass recover. Put some on wheat to graze out to let the pastures breathe for a few weeks

We sold 14 had of weaned fall calves yesterday at Clinton. Also one big steer that had an abscess when we weaned. The barn owner said they were having a large run of yearlings. We weaned some of the late fall calves at less than 5 months of age. Been weaned over 40 days.

Latest posts