Slaughter bulls and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow. Some people. A $100,000+ payday just wasnt good enough.
And all the time and effort put into hauling etc. Twice! They gotta go back home still.
Very odd indeed.

And they still had to pay the barn to run em thru the sale and feed em all week.

They were pretty dang nice pairs!
Not registered. Just very good 2 year olds with good solid black calves. All tagged to match etc.

A little off topic.
But the 50 pairs at Enid went up to 2200 to 2300

The man P.O'd EVERY ONE OF THEM!
Rumor was he was expecting 3000 per pair
Watched heifer pairs bring 3,000-3,200 yesterday. Most 3-4 year old pairs that are real good have been bringing 2,500 up. 5-6 still more than $2,200. Not sure what the age was on those you saw sell

Watched heifer pairs bring 3,000-3,200 yesterday. Most 3-4 year old pairs that are real good have been bringing 2,500 up. 5-6 still more than $2,200. Not sure what the age was on those you saw sell
ALL 2 year old heifer pairs.

I've seen up to 2600 2700 in Fairview.

Edited to add....
There is 21 nice bwf heifer pairs tomorrow in Fairview. There's gonna be some serious trash talking if those bring 3000 a pair! 😆

And also. Since ya brought it up. I snagged a tall 5 yr old cow w 175lb heifer for 1300! Both solid black. Not fancy.

Slaughter cows n bulls went up a bit today. Saw a couple cows hit near 1.20. Lots of bulls there or about that

Last edited:

Edited to add....
There is 21 nice bwf heifer pairs tomorrow in Fairview. There's gonna be some serious trash talking if those bring 3000 a pair! 😆

And also. Since ya brought it up. I snagged a tall 5 yr old cow w 175lb heifer for 1300! Both solid black. Not fancy.

Slaughter cows n bulls went up a bit today. Saw a couple cows hit near 1.20. Lots of bulls there or about that
Was that the 50 head of Miller heifer pairs? If so I have a better idea after watching the video why they sold like that.

Edited to add....

Watched the video in the BWF heifer pairs at Fairview. Expect them too sell much better. They are nice in good shape.

Was that the 50 head of Miller heifer pairs? If so I have a better idea after watching the video why they sold like that.
Yep that's the ones.
They were pretty good. But you saw the video of them.
I'm not saying they were worth 3000. I think the bidding was fair for what they were. I understand the guys worked real hard making that set of animals. But probly not 3k pairs..... yet! He may get there if people selling all their darn cows tho
Watched the video in the BWF heifer pairs at Fairview. Expect them too sell much better. They are nice in good shape.
Much nicer huh!

Yep that's the ones.
I'm not saying they were worth 3000. I think the bidding was fair for what they were. I understand the guys worked real hard making that set of animals. But probly not 3k pairs..... yet! He may get there if people selling all their darn cows tho

Much nicer huh!
Please post how they sell. Will be interested. I based my statements on the videos. So hard to make a good judgment. I based it on the fact the Fairview pairs are baldies, they are of known genetics, from what I saw bigger calves and more flesh. More the type I prefer. I personally wouldn't give $3,000.00 for any commercial pairs but they have been been bringing that and more in some cases all winter and spring around here. Know one breeder who listed 40 pairs. 3 Firm. Heard he had 8 left. The one factor I've seen is those selling have been from proven local genetics. Many got burned in 14 buying the developed heifers of northern genetics. They are seeking genetics proven too work in this area.

Wow. Some people. A $100,000+ payday just wasnt good enough.
I had one local breeder tell me if you figure what the mates brought wheat sold as yearlings and all costs they had to have $2,500.00 to break even. Hay was high here. They raise their hay but figured it at what they sold the extra hay for. So maybe he has to have more. I got several friends who purchased local heifers and breeding them now to sell next year. One is breeding 250 head. More of a gamble than I want to take.

I had one local breeder tell me if you figure what the mates brought wheat sold as yearlings and all costs they had to have $2,500.00 to break even. Hay was high here. They raise their hay but figured it at what they sold the extra hay for. So maybe he has to have more. I got several friends who purchased local heifers and breeding them now to sell next year. One is breeding 250 head. More of a gamble than I want to take.
I did the purchased heifer to breed deal back in '13, '14, &'15. Did real good on it. But I sold in the fall as bred heifers. I never figured the cost of wintering and calving them out would be worth the gain.

@elkwc

The heifer pairs in Fairview just brought 3075!
One man bought all 21 of em
View attachment 29688
Thread hijack is over now. Sorry!

Slaughter cows and bulls are slightly up. 90 and up on cows.
Lots of bulls over 1.10
If I'd been there with the intention of buying, and saw one guy buying them all, I would have been testing how far he would go to own them. Maybe that's why they went so high.

If I'd been there with the intention of buying, and saw one guy buying them all, I would have been testing how far he would go to own them. Maybe that's why they went so high.
Yep.
There was 2 confirmed souls who wanted them pretty badly. They ran on 3100 for quite a while before finally selling at 3075. They sold the first 10 with option to take the next 11 at same price

All it takes it 2 people to find true market value! 😆

@elkwc

View attachment 29688

@elkwc

View attachment 29688

Lots of bulls over 1.10

Lots of bulls over 1.10
Doesn't surprise me. After watching the videos there was a big difference in the pairs IMO and they were from proven known genetics in this area. That is what I have been seeing every week

Be a long time getting a $3075 first calver to the plus side of the ledger. Those mid age cows listed in that report posted earlier for $1,600-$1,825 look like a much better buy if they are decent cows.
They didn't even list the $1300 pair I bought. Lol.
Skews the market report!

Buddy sold a nice lil red 3 yr old pair today with black heifer calf. If I'd a known she was only gonna bring 1350, I'd a bought her from him!

Yep that's the ones.

Much nicer huh!
Another factor is a few years ago when I was considering raising Baldy Hereford/Angus replacements and possibly selling as pairs a barn owner told me if I would give him a top quality Baldy F1 heifer pair to sell he would get me a $250.00 premium over a comparable Angus pair.

Latest posts