Slaughter bulls and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

We sold 14 had of weaned fall calves yesterday at Clinton. Also one big steer that had an abscess when we weaned. The barn owner said they were having a large run of yearlings. We weaned some of the late fall calves at less than 5 months of age. Been weaned over 40 days.
How do you like Clinton? I haven't been since they built the new one.

How do you like Clinton? I haven't been since they built the new one.
We took these to the old sale barn. When I came here she sold almost 100% at Woodward like most in this area. We then started selling more at Elk City. Then the owner of the Elk City barn took over the new barn at Clinton. We sold there and then started selling some at the old barn. We sell most there now. We are fortunate in this area too have several good options. If I was closer I would try the Fairview barn and the Enid barn. All of the barns I mentioned have good management and most are interested in working for the seller. The Woodward barn recently sold. Their numbers have dropped a lot. Hopefully this change will be for the better.

We took these to the old sale barn. When I came here she sold almost 100% at Woodward like most in this area. We then started selling more at Elk City. Then the owner of the Elk City barn took over the new barn at Clinton. We sold there and then started selling some at the old barn. We sell most there now. We are fortunate in this area too have several good options. If I was closer I would try the Fairview barn and the Enid barn. All of the barns I mentioned have good management and most are interested in working for the seller. The Woodward barn recently sold. Their numbers have dropped a lot. Hopefully this change will be for the better.
May have talked me into trying Clinton in the near future. Fairview, i have mixed thoughts about. Overall, its a decent place tho, imo.
I did not know that about Woodward. Aunt took some calves there in the fall/winter and said they were pretty much stolen.

May have talked me into trying Clinton in the near future. Fairview, i have mixed thoughts about. Overall, its a decent place tho, imo.
I did not know that about Woodward. Aunt took some calves there in the fall/winter and said they were pretty much stolen.
Woodward became more of a trader barn and the old owner catered to them and the larger sellers. We sold some cows there in December. Due to weather didn't get them sold at Clinton or Elk before they shut down for Christmas. Had 2 black cows along with another cow. Knew one was open and 2 bred. So told them too pregnant check them. The open cow was fleshy and the bred cow was average flesh. When we got the sale sheet showed no charge for preg checking and they sold the 2 Angus cows together. Didn't bring what they should of. The last few times we sold there we felt we left money on the table or in someone else's pocket.
One barn I didn't mention is Beaver. They have the hottest feeder market in this area. I know of breeders from Vici and other area sending cattle up there. We are fortunate to have several good options.

The buyer of the Woodward barn is
Western Livestock Commission Company of OKC owned by Ben Hale. They also own a barn in Comanche and one out of state I believe.

Special cow sale tmrw in Enid

I really like the place. Everything I've taken has sold well. Dakota has a lot of try. Does a great job.
Be curious what they bring. Saw some registered red angus pairs sell for over 3k at el reno on monday. A breeder was sw part of the state was downsizing his herd.

The buyer of the Woodward barn is
Western Livestock Commission Company of OKC owned by Ben Hale. They also own a barn in Comanche and one out of state I believe.
I remember woodward used to be the go to place. Ive seen the Beaver stockyards advertised quite a bit but a bit outa my way. I normally sell calves at OKC stockyards. As u mentioned, maybe the new ownership will do some good.

Seen some slaughter bulls in TN yesterday bring 1.33. But what stood out as good to me was the truck was sitting ready to load to haul to Pennsylvania and they would be slaughtered today. Being that current on slaughter should mean higher prices coming.

Neighbor was looking to put in a feedlot. Price quotes to build came back and he said, 'well that's not happening.'
I'm not sure the small feeders are making much money. The big feed lots will have everything locked in.
Building a new feed lot is definitely a numbers game. The more animals you can put through it in a year the more you can spread the cost.

I remember woodward used to be the go to place. Ive seen the Beaver stockyards advertised quite a bit but a bit outa my way. I normally sell calves at OKC stockyards. As u mentioned, maybe the new ownership will do some good.
I fully understand just mentioned them because they are another farmer/rancher owned barn that is doing good and has owners willing to work for every seller. They run lots of stocker cattle. So have skin in the game. Doubt we ever go there as long as we have good options locally.

Special cow sale tmrw in Enid

I really like the place. Everything I've taken has sold well. Dakota has a lot of try. Does a great job.
I really like Dakota. Was there for a dispersal sale and again to swap cattle from trailers once. I have watched their sale reports. Would use them if It wasn't so far.

We are from the Leedey/Butler area. Take it you are likely east of us.

Seen some slaughter bulls in TN yesterday bring 1.33. But what stood out as good to me was the truck was sitting ready to load to haul to Pennsylvania and they would be slaughtered today. Being that current on slaughter should mean higher prices coming.
that's right around what bull prices here are, after exchange rate conversion.. saw 2 bulls, one big 2300 lb and a young 1300 lb, both went for $1.65 CAD Both were good looking animals
Wsv5KxHxeuHeOA_uPAx9HJ3f2C6hwG0-kIuB_b0cf9rJx1F_AMNRg5nvDHqI4FieOK-OWkKrd58LrTYGJ-ZiaAIZ3K6Xv-rSc_PRWqFP927WMUpuGkIlAzI7uCT5F_Re05vq8l4dYi_7iruxBbFT8rMcLj2pykZezmJEeeDnrNodFElo4_JroD_U6tGeHGEnR0pdt76PR1ibiqdcknSSuftz3vtQmqsL9FijEplG5eI0ER_BrNyp-c5PeR-0r9DmK8ZC7aotXfkvCkbypmK08dQvwarlK--HRxjz68YWTvDogi1FQaVFR0wcNeDHHCMksK44XnCA5R4q-0e-ZdTTyMi25nNiLLCYmmUFiWqg4SXT-v47Q5HHGCPxnZBF9DIPDt_0trh58gALzfibws0HnaVzLnhcDePfK0RlzoenFbkl2rCavF5Y3iO7ll49sjlsEzP3Rt8lPlB6W6Z4V0JEDix_FhzvtaCRUS1MlRAxhlysUJyamQdsEhqTw7u__l1DuXkWSF9H737PxsYryM3nSy4c340J20p9lxnrYnBPCauQqPH-rsUJuWjV4KXzxAxtCE7F5Uw-hVDSagUkqj5EeXQd5Ob8pYuT22zpOlIdmHVjtyuUfz19LE3uITYsxwXCKpnD6QGHAuz64vlj752sTGTtOrmT_VMmvP5TUnpPWFOtMS-ekh3SipHEg0lLRxzUfrnOJaWTatSX-C6wtyPqKDxVp4V5E7sYCCRUhHmOgJgfPrMhwMrwPDkDcnTL4zv4VXRjVsunAyqf7LDcWol1A_rMNXwZVYAZKbcyLSW8Bj5n43RrrzDb68YoHNfqte8aJf92TO45zBovkHQfy8TY6enPn5E_dp-xfEnwVQqNSZdKTa0Cwx9CL5csFHA397qcLl4lxSsgdi3bqp3KYjoFljcyHrxdAsHp21z4G9vGVOaZLA=w1893-h897-s-no

MTR_OjexRgCtOmCLzaKsojez5A3X45taJWadXFDFrLOm4wi-GtqU2sabcxJh3w9WV51La1ojDfO_gPrGESZtLpwkeoCU6wF2eyr5bte2uhNxtu7IH9G8AmQeZ75YjsgdqBqMXwELnJdJVcevXFyvpBEsMhkAq2DtZMdbokbKwMCHs9H9WhyxHXwx17vrA3oGlbLmzhNL_xLnQ7nw82hw1i_XFH9o6W4QQLlXRxFo-IfpyZsqAJRFARdd6Uo3Dp3k0tQ5rZcMdqsLUQ9UD456OrFWbZJwA40aFjq2znBp4tCNmdP7DI89yQC0Jd0iaOsv5HPfAsYl7OfpId-NZ3jfZqxdcwE21nSWUGQYCEwf7fBGmJ_g05tMKZTl7SE632dMRvWGENvpufRBzVVxS8Ri9YIdxcnZsG4DIxauo31C-6kak9JoxhuCm99v9mk9kIlJzI74JFeLTrMVNv_JZGTWQq12kkuTIAmAepYD4Rkffl9jHOwU2qhp2KSdceHNNOKzES6s5_yNE0laVdqqKWkYFe0kaKPriQPXqfyWe2ZAWxgzFpoJRlp3u-cOIwmXyz53_dEZlR8SOAf3gg_pMsjDJpW1LjxGl-HN5gTYYmAH4S2r1MgSD04RHG4u-f0lq2gPbB8WxjDAr6sUUQE8cqXcyiDzSCoS8zSm-rsDrHK-o9FawCN5EDppdonW6YNeam51ta3hq9YiGMi6m_jWNVxYxOXc_zTMbsp7k7BvHE4uZ4o88_PqWfm6-bXBXODhJ29b-HtvHa0AJeZTwpbQmkqF6mAfhiMwjfXp_jWoph2hmU7McNlmnDqXTV60H6SHibhzKITMnvl4vl7YbNKKvfEMormPIJNSugZACcuYfxhzugbKTcTA8Lnxgj8Tct1gkWIypDyIaLnNTp3M6kUpcRHb39azVbo2-nGH_nEOZCRHOJyWlQ=w1893-h897-s-no

Latest posts