Skunk tale calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tsonda4570":15uyhjm7 said:
I need to clarify my remarks. Skunk tails will get docked but any calf brings good money now.
Wow, thats good to know, i've been told my calves are bringing 100 less than they could....lol

That very well could be. I left a $100 bill on the table by not cutting one that is out of sync with the rest. He still brought 1073, but the thought of him bringing 1173 hurts my frugal little heart.

maybe on a 3 thousand lb animal.

For clarity, people shouldn't use skunk tail when referring to longhorns. This is a term ive only heard used when referring to the marking coming from Charolais bulls. I've never had one of mine docked or split when sold w/ contemporary group.

tsonda4570":1pvwjzp7 said:
I need to clarify my remarks. Skunk tails will get docked but any calf brings good money now.

$1.65 a lb. is good but would bug the he// out of me to see everyone else getting $2.40 a pound for their black calves....and they would outweigh the LH influenced calf considerably. A double hit Not worth it.

Most of the skunks we see here are from Pinz breeding not Charolais. And here on a 500 pound steer with a skunk tail you are lucky to get $1.40. When black calves are bringing $2.00 for 5 weight calves that is $300. if they have a longhorn look to them the dock can be even more.

Indeed. Last year we bought some bred cows exposed to both Char and Brangus bulls. The skunk tailed calves were certainly docked. That will not be a problem this year.

you could always try to sell them on craigslist or cattle range. There are lots of people out there who want a slaughter calf but prefer to buy them out of a pasture instead of a sale barn. I have done it a few times always gotten good money only problem some of the people are very annoying to deal with.

Like I said, my skunk tail calves (like those pictured in the link above) don't get seperated or docked. It's clear they're char sired calves w/ no LH influence though.

RoanDurham":3ghc0ui6 said:
Like I said, my skunk tail calves (like those pictured in the link above) don't get seperated or docked. It's clear they're char sired calves w/ no LH influence though.
:bs:

Unlike Taurus here who has never owned a Charolais animal in his life-- I personally own 2- one of which will throw skunk tail calves. I have never had them sort the ones with the marks out of the group. It's clear they are contemporaries. For you folks who like to fabricate the discount you see on some cattle, you need to take advantage of the arbitrage opportunities as quickly as you can, buy them, and put them on feed at your local lot.

Dogs and Cows said:
I was curious what was meant by skunk tail. I really is amazing to me that they get docked so much...really seems stupid to me, but hey maybe I am missing something. Thanks again for the link to the pics.

Tim
Its not only longhorns, they will docked on Pinz crosses, British White crosses and dairy crosses (milking shorthorns, linebacks and Randall). Pinz and dairy crosses are quite large boned with poor fleshing while British White gets too fatty easily at the feedlots. That's why the skunks got docked at most sale barns. I've seen good looking skunks got sold for less than their solid colored siblings and the chances that skunks out of Charolais will get docked as well.

RoanDurham":80xtp1tj said:

Been a few years since I ran Char bulls, but that's been exactly my experience also.

RoanDurham":zkxdag4b said:
The charolais is the only breed that throws the classis "skunk tail"-- while these other breeds the resident retard above has mentioned do have some white on them, it is not expressed the same as it is w/ the Char crosses. You may not have the eye to see the difference, and its clear Tbag-taurus doesn't either, but I assure you order buyers do.
I see that you haven't changed at all since your ban from here few times.

Down in the south, the skunk tail is usually going to be a longhorn. I'm not familiar with what is raised up north. Here is a longhorn mix in the picture next to her halve sibling, i know for a fact she's half registered angus but i dont know what her mother is. She may be all longhorn, or the product of a old cow with longhorn in her, or possibly a product of a longhorn on heifers(which is done still where i live)..

It's well known down here that if these markings or anything similar, they will get docked 'if' they are also built like this heifer. Buyers know what is growthy, and if the calf looks like its going to grow, they will pay for it.

Everyone knows a longhorn cross calf will get docked. We're talking about diluted color calves w/ stunk- tail marks. Refer to the above link :deadhorse:

cowgirl8":3cn1lao8 said:
But i'm addressing that chars are not the only ones...

Skunk tail is the common nomenclature for diluted calves w/ skunk tail markings. The nomenclature does not apply to your longhorn cross calf. sorry. :frowns:

If I am not mistaken but the bull in question is a Charolais x Red Angus cross and his cows are black and red so I am going to assume that some calves may not be diluted.

Skunk tail is just a term that someone from the sale barn, gave a name to the cattle with white tail and white line on the back, hence the name skunk. It doesn't matter what breed or the color it is. The link I clicked on, it does not say that all skunk tails are smokey cattle with white tail/back.

Pinzgauer cross calves which will get docked as well, not just longhorn crosses.

RoanDurham":1qiw7w9b said:
cowgirl8":1qiw7w9b said:
But i'm addressing that chars are not the only ones...

Skunk tail is the common nomenclature for diluted calves w/ skunk tail markings. The nomenclature does not apply to your longhorn cross calf. sorry. :frowns:
We've had every color of the rainbow with a skunk tail, grey, red, black, white.....all from a longhorn mixed in our cattle from back in the 70s...The one i've shown yes, if from an angus.....but that calf will pass down that skunk tail to every offspring she has of any color.

Latest posts