Skinny heifer even though she's eating & wormed

Help Support CattleToday:

oneal14200

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old brahma heifer that was fat & healthy when we bought her (she was going to be shown but then didn't make the cut), she was fed with the others that came with her and they all adjusted just fine, then we had a bad storm and when we got home she was laying down not wanting to get up, vet came out and said she must have gotten zapped, but it didn't kill her. Since then she has lost significant weight, we feed her every day and she's been wormed with pour on and feed through. She comes up to feed every evening, but then every now and then she will just lay out in the pasture only moving to follow the rest of the herd. She gained quite a bit of weight, the we put them all over to the pasture next door for less than a week with a ton of great new grass - she lost all the weight and we are back where we started. Most days she acts like a normal cow, grazing like a lawn mower and comes up to feed every evening, then like I said there will be a couple of days here and there that she just lays around, only getting up to follow the herd. I have tried everything that I can possibly think of and no one can figure out what the problem is - anyone here have any suggestions?? She's a great cow, my wife is determined to help her get healthy. BTW, all of our other cows are super healthy and the older ones have since calved with great great calves.
Thanks!

First i'd get her to a vet. If you've only used a pour on, i'm guessing she has liver flukes or stomach worms. Rotating pour on, injectable and paste wormers is a good idea..

I would hit her with a name brand injectible, if that doesn;t make a significant change I would get a vet involved.

I have been using synanthic wormer. It's a drench application. I also like valbazen and safeguard. Injectable dectomax would be a good choice. And I also use a cheap for on when I drench. Can't promise it will do the trick but I'd give it a shot. Never tried the new LongRange wormer but a lot of folks like it.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We've got a new plan of action and fingers crossed it'll work.

Latest posts