skiming milk

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
have one jersey cow I am milking.... getting about 1gal a milking..m nit really worth setting up my separator for and cleaning it so I have been using a big spoon to get the cream.. LOTS of work little results.. any help???

If that dfoesn;t get you at least an inch of cream you need to try something else. I always put it in a large open pan so there was more surface area.

hopalong":cbp8wzwr said:
have one jersey cow I am milking.... getting about 1gal a milking..m nit really worth setting up my separator for and cleaning it so I have been using a big spoon to get the cream.. LOTS of work little results.. any help???

Here is what we did when I was a kid.

Siphon it from the bottom into a new jug and leave the top three inches in the original pail

Solves the problem

Bez

dun":3k6jm5f7 said:
If that dfoesn;t get you at least an inch of cream you need to try something else. I always put it in a large open pan so there was more surface area.

Like maybe a new cow?
Sounds like a good method to me, if the cream isn't there I'd suspect she's not giving it.

we bought a cheap ice tea dispenser at walmart that has a spigot on the bottom. we drain the skim milk off the bottom and presto what is left is cream

What a good idea. I like cheap, practical solutions to everyday problems.

Latest posts