Size of needle

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
What gage and length of needle do you use for muscular and sub. do you use a different size for cows than calves?

I use an 1 1/2 16 gauge for almost everything. The gauge depends more on the viscosity of the fluid then anything else

dun":mzqnhbfh said:
I use an 1 1/2 16 gauge for almost everything. The gauge depends more on the viscosity of the fluid then anything else

I also use the 16 gauge 1 1/2" for IM, but use the 16 gauge 1/2 for SQ as they don't bend as easily when I get in a hurry

I use many different sizes depending on whether it is to be sub, Im or IV and what drug I am administering as well as taking into consideration if it is a cow or a calf .

I keep 3 different needles, beveled for Exceede, 16x3/4 for thick stuff like Nuflor, 18x3/4 for stuff like vaccines. I use pistol grips a lot and the shorter needles seem to not bend as easy.

Larry

larryshoat":1l3doc0f said:
I keep 3 different needles, beveled for Exceede, 16x3/4 for thick stuff like Nuflor, 18x3/4 for stuff like vaccines. I use pistol grips a lot and the shorter needles seem to not bend as easy.

Larry

Same here. 18x3/4 for most stuff. I've found that using a 16ga on Alpha-7 and other thick stuff produces less whelps - been told it produces less turbulence as fluid enters the skin.

Calves: 16 ga x 1" for Resflor, Excede, Nuflor, etc. IM and to IV drugs, 3/4" for SQ
18 ga x 3/4" for SQ vaccines, 18 ga x 1" for IM vaccines

Cows: 14 ga x 1 1/2" to IV drugs in the jugular, 18 ga x 1 1/2" to IV drugs in the tail vein
14 ga or 16 ga x 1" to IM drugs or 3/4" to SQ drugs
I find cows just bend 1 1/2" needles too often as our chute does not completely immobolize them.
18 ga x 1 1/2" for epidural and paralumbar block

we use 16ga x 1 1/4 when they are available; today we used 16 x 1 and didn't notice any appreciable difference. cow or calf, they all get the same needle SQ or IM.

TexasBred":3sfhbcjb said:
My old vet always recommended 1 1/2 x 16 gauge. Good size for about everything.

Depending on how many you need to so in how much time.

Latest posts