Salt Size

Help Support CattleToday:

Aero

Reaction score
I feed a cafeteria-style free choice mineral with a 20 hole feeder - 19 mineracls from FCE and 1 hole for straight salt. Free Choice Enterprise instructs to use plain salt and nothing fancier. At TSC, they have "Fine Stock Salt" and they have "Kiln-Dried Solar Medium Livestock Salt". The medium salt is a little cheaper but I wondered if anyone has a preference for grain size?

Attachments

• C2A18131-8827-4968-BC08-6896C992068A.jpeg
    C2A18131-8827-4968-BC08-6896C992068A.jpeg
    8.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 4562EF2D-C8EF-4F62-9B07-9F74DA34669F.jpeg
    4562EF2D-C8EF-4F62-9B07-9F74DA34669F.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 15
I haven't seen one of those mineral feeders for YEARS.
What was found, cattle ate what was at the end of the feeder. They aren't smart enough to know what they need so mineral should be pre-mixed.

How long have you used this type of mineral feeder and what have you observed?
Thanks.

I haven't seen one of those mineral feeders for YEARS.
What was found, cattle ate what was at the end of the feeder. They aren't smart enough to know what they need so mineral should be pre-mixed.

How long have you used this type of mineral feeder and what have you observed?
Thanks.
I've seen them eat specific minerals (not on the end) that correlate to some known deficiencies but I've only been using it about 2 months so far. People I trust believe in it so it's worth trying. 34 of the cows I bought had been on this program for 6+ years and the guy I bought them from was a believer. He gave them nothing but grazed pastures and they never saw a bucket.

My guess is that it's dependent on what they are fed. If we (humans) only ate food we grow the way nature intended it, we would probably know what we need and choose it. As soon as you eat at McDonalds your body doesnt know what it needs since it artificially triggers the wrong signals. My cows don't get anything other than grass with mediocre hay if needed.

It may be bogus but it looks like it works for me. I don't really have to understand why if it works. For full disclosure, we are also feeding free choice raw apple cider vinegar as well. :)

I use the coarse stuff. Made by Morton and named Stock salt. I use mostly when they seem to be using to much free choice mineral. It costs $7.50 or so for 50 lbs. I am not sure if it matters on the density but the fine stuff seems to clump up more when it gets damp and turns into a large hard clump in the feeder.

maybe TSC is just jumping on the 'hot new bandwagon' that says 'just put solar in the name and everyone will jump onboard...

Bird Dog..you want to see some clumped up hard stock salt mess, go move close to where i used to live with all it's constant high humidity.

I've seen them eat specific minerals (not on the end) that correlate to some known deficiencies but I've only been using it about 2 months so far. People I trust believe in it so it's worth trying. 34 of the cows I bought had been on this program for 6+ years and the guy I bought them from was a believer. He gave them nothing but grazed pastures and they never saw a bucket.

My guess is that it's dependent on what they are fed. If we (humans) only ate food we grow the way nature intended it, we would probably know what we need and choose it. As soon as you eat at McDonalds your body doesnt know what it needs since it artificially triggers the wrong signals. My cows don't get anything other than grass with mediocre hay if needed.

It may be bogus but it looks like it works for me. I don't really have to understand why if it works. For full disclosure, we are also feeding free choice raw apple cider vinegar as well. :)
"I am not screwed unless I think I'm screwed".

I feed a cafeteria-style free choice mineral with a 20 hole feeder - 19 mineracls from FCE and 1 hole for straight salt. Free Choice Enterprise instructs to use plain salt and nothing fancier. At TSC, they have "Fine Stock Salt" and they have "Kiln-Dried Solar Medium Livestock Salt". The medium salt is a little cheaper but I wondered if anyone has a preference for grain size?
I use a red block salt year round and a yellow (magnesium) block in the spring before the grass comes on. Simple, easy, cheap... and never an issue with any of my animals.

"He gave them nothing but grazed pastures and they never saw a bucket."

Same here, but we used pre-mixed mineral so we knew they were getting all their requirements, not just what tastes good or is easy to reach.

Phos is bitter, so how well do they eat the phos in the cafeteria style feeder?

Phos is bitter, so how well do they eat the phos in the cafeteria style feeder?
Vitamin Mix (ADE) and Phosphorous are the 2 highest consumption items. We rarely graze vegetative forages and that is where most VitA comes from. Long rest periods (60-90 days) have us grazing mature forages with less protein but theoretically higher brix values.

Latest posts